Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 13, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #3,856 of 4,845
Wow, that is hilarious :joy:
I wonder what the “one true system” (loud echoing voice) is, but it surely must involve the HD650 then..

Seriously though, not only are preferences different, but also the ears themselves and our sensitivities. One can be quite annoyed by a treble peak (hello HD700) while another isn’t bothered by it and it may even be enjoyable to a third.. there are really no rights and wrongs, what’s important is that it sounds good to yourself. Want to use this headphone, that amplifier/dac, throw an equaliser into the chain? If it sounds good to you, then do it! :beerchug:

Yep...it's amazing to me that this concept is so hard for some folks to understand! :beerchug:

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #3,857 of 4,845
I was told once that i am not listening to music correctly with the 660S because the 660S has a small dip at 3k compared to 650, even though i find this more pleasing to the ear. How dare i have preferences...
Welcome to Head-Fi
Say goodbye to your preferences - resistance is futile!

It’s all subjective until it’s objective. Clear as mud.

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #3,858 of 4,845
Yep...it's entertaining to watch though! :wink:

(btw...my headphones/dacs/amps are better than yours)
I agree to a certain extent. Can also be a huge PITA bread:wink:

I seriously doubt the last bit of your post.
I just bought the new ultra-beam upstream dac from Scrotum Aplenty and have likewise upgraded the powergrid with special aerobic instructors and tepid lava flakes. The illusion of air is nigh attainable through this rig. Almost caught me some here the other night.
Unless you have the new submersible Luther Vandross dac, I win:p

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #3,859 of 4,845
I agree to a certain extent. Can also be a huge PITA bread:wink:

I seriously doubt the last bit of your post.
I just bought the new ultra-beam upstream dac from Scrotum Aplenty and have likewise upgraded the powergrid with special aerobic instructors and tepid lava flakes. The illusion of air is nigh attainable through this rig. Almost caught me some here the other night.
Unless you have the new submersible Luther Vandross dac, I win:p

Weirdly enough...I do have the Forever, For Always, For Love limited edition version of his DAC. It pairs perfectly with my Barry White -- Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe Tube Amp yielding the most Liquid sound known to mankind down to 300 meters...powered by a set of redundant Dakota Lithium Vortex waterproof batteries. This combo drops lows so solid and highs so clear that Baleen Whales and Porpoises come from miles around when the system is fired up! :hear_no_evil:

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #3,862 of 4,845
Proud to be a 660S pleb, you'll have to pry this beauty from my cold dead hands.
Cold dead hands you say? Hmmm... :darthsmile:

A serious thought that has crossed my mind is this. The driver capsules of the 600 series headphones should interchangeable, right? If so, someone should transplant the driver capsule of one headphone to the chassis of the other, so then you have like 660s drivers in 650 bodies, 58x drivers in 660s bodies, etc. Then let people test them blindly, see what they prefer. I mean, there's big differences, sure, but I'm willing to bet that quite a few people will choose based on what they see. 650 lovers will choose whatever's in the 650 body, for example.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #3,864 of 4,845
Hey, calm down, Satan.
I mean, all hell would probably break lose and the apocalypse could maybe start that way, but it sure would be an interesting experiment.

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,865 of 4,845
I mean, all hell would probably break lose and the apocalypse could maybe start that way, but it sure would be an interesting experiment.

If I ever win the lottery I'm going to buy a stand in a headphone convention and I'm going to do this.

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #3,866 of 4,845
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,867 of 4,845
:floatsmile:
I can imagine those. Red, otherwise the same as the rest of the 600 line, except for the horns protruding from the headband. :o2smile:
If I ever win the lottery I'm going to buy a stand in a headphone convention and I'm going to do this.
Hey man, need a partner? :D

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #3,868 of 4,845
Initially I was planning to get 58X Jubilee, but I couldn't resist amazon 95$ offer for 599. Now I have second thoughts... In my country I would have to pay 160$ + 15$ ship + 20% tax for Jubilees. Are they worth double than what 599 cost me? Some say 58X is a 500 series resolution with 600 series tuning. Not sure if I should believe that or just get Jubilees in hopes for huge upgrade over 599? Or maybe just enjoy my 599 for some time and wait for 660s price drop in the future (already dropped from 499 euros to 370 euros here in Europe).

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #3,869 of 4,845
Initially I was planning to get 58X Jubilee, but I couldn't resist amazon 95$ offer for 599. Now I have second thoughts... In my country I would have to pay 160$ + 15$ ship + 20% tax for Jubilees. Are they worth double than what 599 cost me? Some say 58X is a 500 series resolution with 600 series tuning. Not sure if I should believe that or just get Jubilees in hopes for huge upgrade over 599. Or maybe just enjoy my 599 for some time and wait for 660s price drop in the future (they' already dropped from 499 euros to 370 euros here in Europe).

Sorry to be the one to say this, but if the HD599 sound anything like my HD598, I must say that the HD58X is in a totally different league than the HD598/599 series. Not that these later are bad but in my opinion the HD58X is clearly superior, more in the league of the HD600/650/660 or the Hifiman HE400i. The HD58x compared to the HD598 has better bass extension, firmness and authority, better and more natural mids, better high mids and highs, better overall height and depth and global dynamics. In some way the firmness and dynamics of the HD58X reminds me a bit of the HD25 and Amperior, although these are very different sounding closed cans...On the other hand, the HD598 is also very confortable (maybe produce less pressure on head when the cushions are brand new, but the HD58X are also very confortable) and may have a better and wider soundstage and imaging. But overall I use my HD58X for music, mostly with portable equipement (iPad, iPhone, Macbook Pro), while I use my HD598 only for TV usage. By the way, apart from the HD599 (I do own the similar HD598), I do own and have compared ALL other headphones I mentioned in this post, so I know what I’m talking about...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #3,870 of 4,845
Yes if 599 was just a slight improvement that would be an easy job just to pick Jubilees and never bother for 599 prime day offer. Unfortunetly (or fortunetly) it's not that easy since 599 is a huge improvement over 598, which I owned. Much better bass extention (with actual rumble action), beautiful mids and highs and extremely good detail retrieval. Everything about 598 has been improved to make 599 sound livier more engaging and fun. They're also less forgiving and got worse soundstage (but still rather wide) than 598. They say 599 is closer to 600 series that it's ever been. And now there's 58x claiming to be 500$ headphone for just 149$ massdrop special (actually now 160$ after price increase). My guess it's probably not a 500$ qaulity headhpone just as 599 is maybe not worth 249$ initial retail price. I mean if 58x is just slightly better in some areas and worse in others than I don't think it's worth double than 599 can be grabbed on discount. It's a pity there's no comparisons and I'm not sure if I want to buy both headphones just to find out... but maybe I should :) In terms of comfort I can blindly guess 599 is a clear winner over 58x and it's not just about the clamping forse (which can be weakend over time), but also weight and only one-sided cable. As for sound 58x are extremely hyped because people want to desperetly believe they're getting 500$ headphone for 150$. I've already heard and read too many reviews to know that it's not necessarily the case. Like I said the only reason for me to get 58x is to be sure it's 600 series capable hp, not just a retune version of 500-series driver like they say it really is in which case 95$ HD599 is just a better deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back