Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 23, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #3,841 of 4,845
While I haven't got a New Fantasia cable for my HD650, HD58X or HD6XX I did have one for my HD700 and HE400i (SMC) long ago and it sounded the same as the stock ones but way more ergonomic since it didn't kink up like the stock HD700 cable and for the HE400i was 10ft versus the stock 4 ft one. The only issue is that they were slightly microphonic at times so I sold them and these days build all my cables using either Canare, Mogami or Van Damme cables since I did comparisons to my high priced Double-Helix and Forza cables and didn't notice any difference in sound.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #3,845 of 4,845
^With Sennheiser’s 6 series stock pads are the way to go imo. I’ve tried dozens of different pads ranging from fenestrated pleather/leather to weird combos of velour and cloth. Always ends up with a sigh of relief when I get back to stock pads. Everything else just sounds...err wrong. YMMV of course:)

So I’ve been dancing around the different cans in the 6 series with the original 580 and new 660 being the last two headphones to adorn my collection. Yet I kept thinking about the HD58X and how brilliant I thought it was when I owned it the first time.
Long story short: I just rebought the new kid on the block and have as a consequence sold off the 660 and have the classic up for sale.
One of the best things about the HD58X as well as the 660 is that they are free of the infamous veil. I love everything else about the old classics but that, coupled together with the prompt roll-off in the bass, always made me look elsewhere.
To these ears I am getting the wonderfully clear mids and top-end of the 660 as well as the best bass performance of any openback Sennie I’ve tried. Score!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #3,846 of 4,845
I may have missed it, I've been off this thread for a while. Any experiences with people here trying the Dekoni Elite Velour pads on these? Thanks.
I have the hybrids, not the velours. I think they add a lot to the sound and my enjoyment of the Jubilees, I would have to guess that the velours might be a little softer in sound due to the material. The thing I like the best about the Dekoni pads is that they are thicker than the stock ones, so my ears aren't pushing right up against the drivers.

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #3,847 of 4,845
^With Sennheiser’s 6 series stock pads are the way to go imo. I’ve tried dozens of different pads ranging from fenestrated pleather/leather to weird combos of velour and cloth. Always ends up with a sigh of relief when I get back to stock pads. Everything else just sounds...err wrong. YMMV of course:)

So I’ve been dancing around the different cans in the 6 series with the original 580 and new 660 being the last two headphones to adorn my collection. Yet I kept thinking about the HD58X and how brilliant I thought it was when I owned it the first time.
Long story short: I just rebought the new kid on the block and have as a consequence sold off the 660 and have the classic up for sale.
One of the best things about the HD58X as well as the 660 is that they are free of the infamous veil. I love everything else about the old classics but that, coupled together with the prompt roll-off in the bass, always made me look elsewhere.
To these ears I am getting the wonderfully clear mids and top-end of the 660 as well as the best bass performance of any openback Sennie I’ve tried. Score!

So many people who either love the 58X above all other Sennheisers or consider the 58X inferior in detail and many other areas. Every time I read something like this I get the itches to buy a 6XX. But I'll stay focused on my play to get a Planar

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #3,848 of 4,845
So many people who either love the 58X above all other Sennheisers or consider the 58X inferior in detail and many other areas. Every time I read something like this I get the itches to buy a 6XX. But I'll stay focused on my play to get a Planar
I am not one of those people though:wink: I love all of Sennheiser’s 6 series - have owned a number of them quite a few times by now - which is why it feels that more invigorating when I finally settled on the one I wanted to keep.
Truth be told there isn’t THAT big of a jump going from either of these cans - they all sound brilliant imo....but when I do come across Autechre, The Future Sound Of London, Orbital, Boards Of Canada or similar styles of music where sub bass is an integral part of the proceedings...well then I feel slightly cheated with my 580/600/650...not so via the 660 or the 58X. They’re also clearer sounding cans..though not immediately. The old guard’s mids are more forward making them seem slightly more detailed at first. Now it’s the other way around.
Then again if I mostly listened to classic rock and metal, then I’d probably go for the ol 580....but that’s mostly down to comfort, because the headband is wider, at least on mine.
These are my ears though. Maybe you’ll dig the 6XX more.

Another thing: I really don’t get the whole almost football-like mentality that has started to seep into the various Sennie threads. I have a very hard time picturing anyone, who has truly listened to all of these cans side by side, coming away with feelings of animosity towards just one of them. Chances are you’ll either love em all or hate em all...with slightly alternating reasons behind:wink:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #3,849 of 4,845

Another thing: I really don’t get the whole almost football-like mentality that has started to seep into the various Sennie threads. I have a very hard time picturing anyone, who has truly listened to all of these cans side by side, coming away with feelings of animosity towards just one of them. Chances are you’ll either love em all or hate em all...with slightly alternating reasons behind:wink:

I think differences are exaggerated because the comparisons exist within a similar product line. We sort of see the same thing with the wood cups of Fostex or Emu cans, or various generations of the Audeze LCD line. I guess it's implied that comparisons live within the bubble of the product line rather than the general overall landscape.

I have the 58X (dampening mod) and 6XX, and I sometimes forget which one I'm wearing unless I think analytically about it, especially with older music...

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #3,850 of 4,845
I think people in general are afraid of missing out...and of making the wrong decisions...and these “discussions” do have a tendency to reek of buyer’s confirmation or just bad manners because X person needs to own THE best can in the series...and if it isn’t or anyone says differently they’ll meet up at dawn pistols ablazing:p

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #3,851 of 4,845
I think people in general are afraid of missing out...and of making the wrong decisions...and these “discussions” do have a tendency to reek of buyer’s confirmation or just bad manners because X person needs to own THE best can in the series...and if it isn’t or anyone says differently they’ll meet up at dawn pistols ablazing:p

Yep...it's entertaining to watch though! :wink:

(btw...my headphones/dacs/amps are better than yours)

Jul 12, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #3,852 of 4,845

I was told once that i am not listening to music correctly with the 660S because the 660S has a small dip at 3k compared to 650, even though i find this more pleasing to the ear. How dare i have preferences...

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #3,853 of 4,845
I was told once that i am not listening to music correctly with the 660S because the 660S has a small dip at 3k compared to 650, even though i find this more pleasing to the ear. How dare i have preferences...

Either that or you're ToneDef :wink:

Jul 13, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #3,854 of 4,845
... Shame on you, you disgusting 660s loving pleb.

(looks away in disgust)

Jul 13, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #3,855 of 4,845

Wow, that is hilarious :joy:
I wonder what the “one true system” (loud echoing voice) is, but it surely must involve the HD650 then..

Seriously though, not only are preferences different, but also the ears themselves and our sensitivities. One can be quite annoyed by a treble peak (hello HD700) while another isn’t bothered by it and it may even be enjoyable to a third.. there are really no rights and wrongs, what’s important is that it sounds good to yourself. Want to use this headphone, that amplifier/dac, throw an equaliser into the chain? If it sounds good to you, then do it! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back