1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255
257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266
Next

Last
  1. RollingPeanuts
    Is the 6xx still worth getting over the 58x if no extra dac/amp is bought?

2. Dawgfish
    I have the 58Xs, 6XXs, and 600s. Here's the thing the 58Xs with the Sonic Barrier foam mod is every bit as detailed as the 6XXs and 600s. Really, I have been comparing the 3 extensively during the last couple of weeks and the Sonic Barrier mod has brought up the detail level of the 58Xs to the other 2. In some ways (overall frequency extension and soundstage width), the 58Xs have surpassed the other 2 cans with the Sonic Barrier mod. The Sonic Barrier is far superior to the other felt, foams, and cloths I've tried on the 58Xs. It's improved them to the point where the other two don't hold an advantage in detail or other technical areas and which phone you prefer comes down to which frequency response or soundstage characteristics you prefer. I personally like having all 3 as each has their own character and strengths. The 58Xs don't take a back seat to the others in any way however with the Sonic Barrier damped drivers.

RollingPeanuts likes this.
  3. Delmetrice
    I probably had a one-off bad experience, but I went through three 58Xs with Massdrop due to a channel imbalance. First was weak left, second was weak right, all through 3 different amps so I said screw it. Never had a problem with the 6XX, and I'm not sure if quality control was different, but it shouldn't have been. I also personally liked the 6XX for gaming with a tube amp much better, so that sealed the deal for me.

4. RollingPeanuts
    What is the sonic barrier foam mod?

Dawgfish likes this.
  5. RollingPeanuts
    Which tube amp did you end up using?

6. Delmetrice
    DarkVoice 336se - At least until I can find the money for a Woo, but I have to say I'm pretty happy.

7. Dawgfish
    It's essentially the same as the felt or other foam mods you see only using Sonic Barrier sound damping material available from Parts Express. You attach a disc of Sonic Barrier material to the rear of the magnet of the drivers using double sided tape and making sure not to cover the hole in the magnet with the tape. The Sonic Barrier usually comes in thicknesses of .75" to 1" in thickness so you have to trim the thickness down using a hobby knife. Cut the thickness down to about 1/8" to 1/4" or so.

See post 3805 of this thread for more details.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. DavidA
    Since you don't say if you currently have a DAC/amp I'm going to assume that you don't have either and if so then I wouldn't suggest getting the 6XX since it needs a amp (OTL if possible) to make them sound decent IMO. I still have HD58X, HD6XX, HD650 and have owned the HD600 and heard the HD660S extensively over the past 6-8 months. For those that don't want to deal with DACs or amps the HD58X is a bargain but to me it has a bit of grain in the upper mids/treble. The HD660S is a better sounding headphone than the HD58X but its not worth the price difference IMO, if it were in the $290 - $320 range then I'd take the HD660S since it does sound quite good with almost any gear. If you have a decent OTL amp then I'd take the HD6XX / HD650 over the HD660S since to me it has a slightly better tone, which is my preference.

9. Deftone
    I wouldnt say HD660S sounds great with anything, it is easier to drive sure but is much more revealing to the source than the 650. I have owned many dacs since i purchased the 660S and i havent heard any other headphone (with the exception of HD800S) sounds so different with a source. Grainy/hazy, mushy/overly warm, bright/harsh, clear/dynamic/fast. HD650 needed very careful amp matching but different sources were barely audible, with the HD660S its the opposite.

We all hear things differently obviously, im just glad i had the opportunity to try out so many dacs or wouldnt have realised what the HD660S was seriously capable off. Im currently doing similar testing with HD58X.

shahkhan and annasoh323 like this.
  10. Starlights
    hello guys,
    is there a cable replacement for this hd58x but in balanced 2.5mm or maybe 4.4mm ?
    need information please.
    thank you

11. DrKrFfXx
    I asked for my local suplier for the HD660s pentacon cable and they told me 150 freaking euros plus taxes. Original cable and everything, but a ****ing joke, given I paid like 130 for the HD58x and I could get the HD660s for like 300€ with said cable.

I came across this site:

https://oidiosound.co.uk/sennheiser-hd-092885-balanced.html

I'm yet to order one, but for 45 ish euros I could get a HD650 cable with pentaconn plug (4.4 balanced) that doesn't disturb the sober looks of the headphone. I think it is an original cable with the plug modified.

They ship to Indonesia, and worldwide I think.

They also have fancier, more expensive HD650 4.4mm cables.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Deftone and Starlights like this.
  12. Starlights
    i have found this :

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...s=hd58x+cable&qid=1561283175&s=gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...s=hd58x+cable&qid=1561283175&s=gateway&sr=8-5

is it good ? or should i pick the one from your link ?
    thanks for the replies.

13. DrKrFfXx

I have bad experience with chinese Amazon cables.

I bought one so for the HD58x, and it came with 2 Right plugs, that didn't fit snug but by force. And sounded like pure ass.

Chinese stuff is 50/50 luck. That cable might be great but you won't know until you receive it.

14. PeteMtl
    I bought 2 cables from Newfantasia on Amazon: one 10ft cable for my Hifiman HE400i (because the supplied stock cable was only 4ft long) and one 4 or 6 ft (nor sure of the lenght, I think it’s 4 ft) for my HD58x. The reason I bought this later cable is because Newfantasia proposed a cable with integrated mic and remote. This makes my HD58X a truly portable headphone that I use with my iPhone X, for music but also to make or take calls. Yes I know the HD58X is an open back headphone (I have other headphones when I need a closed back headphone such as my Sennheiser Amperior, HD25-1 II, Momentum over Ear Wireless and my new PXC550 noise cancellation bluetooth headphones) but in some circumstances I prefer an open back portable solution and I find it great to use my HD58X for occasional phone calls with my iPhone X (with supplied Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone out dongle, since the mic and remote on cable will not work if I use my Dragonfly Red with my Apple iPhone X).
    I cannot be more pleased with both of these aftermarket cables from Newfantasia/Amazon and I fully recommend them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  15. Dawgfish
    I bought my HD600s used (also have HD58Xs and HD6XXs) and the seller threw in one of those NewFantasia cables with it. Keep in mind the version I have is non balanced with 3.5mm amp end termination, but I have compared it extensively against the stock HD58X, HD6XX, and HD600 cables.

The NewFantasia sounds just as good to me as the stock cables (for the record I am a believer in cables making a difference, I've heard it time and time again in my two channel speaker systems). I do run my HD58X, HD6XX, and the HD600 most of the time in balanced output using both a 4-pin balanced XLR Canare cable and a Sennheiser balanced XLR cable. All the phones sound better to me running balanced as they have noticeably better separation and soundstage width. What I'm trying to say here is I bet that the NewFantasia balanced cables will sound just fine with your 58X based on my experience with NewFantasia cables and balanced cables in general.

First

Back
246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255
257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266
Next

Last