Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Apr 14, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #3,706 of 4,845
Too right. If there is a difference it would come down to a poorly made cable (channels not isolated, etc), or if the cable in question changed the impedance seen by the driver (which we know and have measured to change the frequency response in some drivers).
And there’s the cosmetics appeal too.

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #3,707 of 4,845
If there is a difference it would come down to a poorly made cable (channels not isolated, etc), or if the cable in question changed the impedance seen by the driver (which we know and have measured to change the frequency response in some drivers).

Sure, but once you acknowledge this much, people who believe in cables quote you saying "Well, there is a difference after all."

It should be common sense that if the design is so poor signals aren't allocated into the correct wires, then there's an issue. Best thing to do is to simply state that cables don't matter and there isn't a debate worth having about this.

I've changed my 58X cable too... To get it even shorter, to be used with my phone. The idea that I would be concerned about loss of sound quality seems funny.

To be clear, instrument cables (such as guitar cables) need to be properly shielded not to pick up stray signals... But this isn't the case with headphones cables, interconnects, etc...

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #3,708 of 4,845
To be clear, instrument cables (such as guitar cables) need to be properly shielded not to pick up stray signals... But this isn't the case with headphones cables, interconnects, etc...
I’m ignorant on the matter, please explain?

I had my iGrado cable changed a few years ago. From what I remembered, the bass is “leaner” and there’s a slight increase in high-mids and trebles. I think that’s due to a change in impedance

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #3,709 of 4,845
Ohhh my....

upload_2019-4-14_8-18-35.jpeg

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #3,710 of 4,845
Not trying to start a debate or sound condescending. As an electrical engineer, it's hard for me to ignore this type of message... There is absolutely no sonic difference, whatsoever, in the brands of cables used to connect your headphones to the source. There cannot be a difference.

Believe it or not, I can pick differences between cables. As well as many other audiophile friends I have.
If no one can pick a difference between audio cables, all those cable companies will be out of business.
Did you try some aftermarket cable?

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #3,711 of 4,845
Sorry, guys... I didn't want to start a cable debate here. Regardless of what you've tried and what you think you've heard, science remains the same. Your headphone cables will all produce exactly the same sound. The difference in impedance will be insignificant unless the length of the cable can stretch to the nearest post office. If you are buying cables for looks, the way it feels to the touch, etc, that's fine. Don't search for tone through that. It's a waste of time.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #3,712 of 4,845
Believe it or not, I can pick differences between cables. As well as many other audiophile friends I have.
If no one can pick a difference between audio cables, all those cable companies will be out of business.
Did you try some aftermarket cable?

I say that cables do affect the sound but it's really minimal. From a price to performance standpoint it can be ridiculously expensive and ultimately unnecessary. I have tried after market headphone cables but the difference in sound was essentially indistinguishable or the improvement is minimal when compared to the stock cable. Regarding inter connect cables (which is a necessary purchase) I don't buy bargain priced ones, instead good valued and quality design and construction such as Audioquest (and others) makes sense to me.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #3,713 of 4,845
I say that cables do affect the sound but it's really minimal. From a price to performance standpoint it can be ridiculously expensive and ultimately unnecessary. I have tried after market headphone cables but the difference in sound was essentially indistinguishable or the improvement is minimal when compared to the stock cable. Regarding inter connect cables (which is a necessary purchase) I don't buy bargain priced ones, instead good valued and quality design and construction such as Audioquest (and others) makes sense to me.
Yes cables can affect the sound, people just tend underestimate the power of placebo, also there are also cables that are broken by design and can have a measurable and marginal effect. That said, since audiophile cables are so ridiculously priced, you'd be better off spending your money to just get better headphones than the 598.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #3,714 of 4,845
Always had trouble buying the concept of esoteric, cryogenic, electron-aligned, bass-slammin', cymbal-shimmerin' UberCables (that often cost as much, if not more, than the cans) -- when...I got a look at the internal wiring! :astonished:

9_1.jpg

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #3,715 of 4,845
Yes cables can affect the sound, people just tend underestimate the power of placebo, also there are also cables that are broken by design and can have a measurable and marginal effect. That said, since audiophile cables are so ridiculously priced, you'd be better off spending your money to just get better headphones than the 598.

Or as I have found, a Schiit Loki is far more versatile and effective in tailoring the sound of EACH of your headphones.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,716 of 4,845
Or as I have found, a Schiit Loki is far more versatile and effective in tailoring the sound of EACH of your headphones.
It is kinda pointless to pay for an analog doohickey when you can get superior EQ for free via the digital realm though. Especially again, when your headphones are worth around $99cdn your EQ tone control $149...

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #3,717 of 4,845
It is kinda pointless to pay for an analog doohickey when you can get superior EQ for free via the digital realm though. Especially again, when your headphones are worth around $99cdn your EQ tone control $149...

If digital EQ is the cat's meow, then yeah. However I wouldn't rule out analog EQ, you know old school.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #3,718 of 4,845
Are you saying that audio equipment interconnects, such as RCA patch cables, are not susceptible to picking up unwanted signals or noise, if not properly shielded? If so, that doesn't sound correct to me.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #3,719 of 4,845

But I love doohicky's I personally use a vintage Audiosource EQ-ONE the same one used by Ferris Bueller .....and let it be known he's a righteous dude lol

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #3,720 of 4,845
Are you saying that audio equipment interconnects, such as RCA patch cables, are not susceptible to picking up unwanted signals or noise, if not properly shielded? If so, that doesn't sound correct to me.

Any shielded cable is susceptible to picking up noise. That's why they're shielded. For headphones, these patches aren't long enough for that to be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back