Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 8, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,681 of 4,845
My box for my HD-58X it came with brand new HD-650 complete Box

For a minute there, I thought you said you bought a brand new HD650 for the box, which you will use for the Jubilees.

Because in a way, needing to replace the earpads and collapsed headband pads on my HD650, I went ahead and ordered these from massdrop....they will come packaged on a half painted headphone.

That was my excuse to buy two Massdrop Jubilees.

Aug 8, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,682 of 4,845
For a minute there, I thought you said you bought a brand new HD650 for the box, which you will use for the Jubilees.

Because in a way, needing to replace the earpads and collapsed headband pads on my HD650, I went ahead and ordered these from massdrop....they will come packaged on a half painted headphone.

That was my excuse to buy two Massdrop Jubilees.

And that has got to be the best excuse of all time! Kudos on the creative application of logic!!!

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,685 of 4,845
I wish someone who owns both HD58X and HD599 would make a proper comparison since I'm one of those who prefer lightness, comfort, one-sided cable and overall look and feel of HD598/599. I also like a decent soundstage, it's confusing some ppl say HD58X (as well as other HD6XX series) have poor or no soundstage at all, while others say it's actually not that bad, some even say it's very wide.

I don't own the 599 but, I do own the 598, and the 58X is superior in every department. The only pro I would give to the 598, is that they are easier to drive. I prefer to use them for my Nintendo Switch.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #1,686 of 4,845
Doing some more listening.

Although I hear the advantages the HD650 holds over the 58X, I mostly feel the greater resolution in the top half of the frequency response outweigh the slight loss in bottom half transparency as compared to the HD650.

Often times, I get snoozy with the HD650 at modest volumes. As if the heater has been put on too high. Changing over to the 58X, and I perk up. As if a fresh breath of air came gushing through the window, and you realise that heater is on too high. The feeling is identical.

The Jubilee keeps me engaged at modest volumes, for long after the HD650 would have pumelled me into drowsiness.

What for then, would anyone choose the HD650 over these HD58Xs? I begin to ponder this question.

As I continue to ponder and listen, this track comes on:

One is not sane, if one does not enjoy this show. Therefore, everyone loves a little classical.

The Jubilees fail to capture this recording correctly, leaving behind a resonant and confused mess in the midrange. It seems like a shoddy recording. But I suspect the recording is OK and that I have found the perfect combination of sounds that leave the Jubilees choking and gasping for air. It is woeful.

I immediately seek out my HD650 and fire up this powerful tune again. Alas, everything sounds proper. The resonant mess in the midrange is replaced by correct separation of all the elements. Here the HD650 out separates the Jubilees. Here the HD650 calmly pulls the bolt back, deliberately engages the next round and lines up it's sibling to the cross hair of the scope. With one shot, it eliminates any doubt, any notion, that junior can succeed senior at all things audio.

Here in reality, I have yet to find the headphone that does it all. Perhaps this will never exist?

Fortunately, thanks to Massdrop in collaboration with Sennheiser, one can buy both these headphones for throw away prices in terms of Hi Fi, and have money left for a nice tube amp. For which my Valhalla 2, has served me perfectly.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,687 of 4,845
I just got my Jubilees last week, and was pretty impressed right out of the box, but they were missing something....I figured I'd give them some time to burn in or for my brain to get used to them (not going to start that old argument again). I tried them right out of my R3, through Bluetooth from my phone (known adapters that could give them a little push), and through my Q1 MkII. All in all a very nice headphone and a good complement to my Massdrop AKGs with Dekoni hybrid pads. They did seem to get better after a few days.

Then the other night I plugged them into my Xduoo XD-05 with the Burson upgrade (medium gain, bass boost on, although it's also good off) right from my iPhone 8 Plus. Holy. Crap. My mind was almost blown, and my ears were most certainly. This is an amazing pairing and really gives the Jubilees what they need to shine brightly (not that they were bad from any other source, but they sing from the XD-05). I've since tried the R3 through the coax adapter and some really hi-res files. Maybe the best thing I've ever heard, considering I don't own any TOTL headphones and probably won't ever due to the prices. Dynamics, separation, detail, they're all enhanced. I think I've found my perfect pairing. Sennheiser has really given us an amazing performer at a reasonable price range with these.

Aug 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #1,688 of 4,845
Got my pair this week, and for the few days I had them, I'm having a blast, can't get them off my head. And here comes my problem - I use them both at home and at work. For home I have my NAD setup with a 515BEE CD player and 316BEE amp, so I think I'm as good as my budget goes. But for work I have to use either my Android phone (which sounds OK and acceptable for me) or my work PC(and here the sound quality really drops the ball), so I'm in for a hunt for a dac/amp combo. Thinking of the MassDrop Topping NX4S or going the extra mile for Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 3 stack. Is it worth the extra $150-$200 (plus additional shipping and taxes), which is as much or more then the headphones themselves?

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,689 of 4,845
Got my pair this week, and for the few days I had them, I'm having a blast, can't get them off my head. And here comes my problem - I use them both at home and at work. For home I have my NAD setup with a 515BEE CD player and 316BEE amp, so I think I'm as good as my budget goes. But for work I have to use either my Android phone (which sounds OK and acceptable for me) or my work PC(and here the sound quality really drops the ball), so I'm in for a hunt for a dac/amp combo. Thinking of the MassDrop Topping NX4S or going the extra mile for Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 3 stack. Is it worth the extra $150-$200 (plus additional shipping and taxes), which is as much or more then the headphones themselves?

For work, why don’t you get a Audioquest Dragonfly Red ? It’s all you need, powerful enough, small and easy to plug in your work computer or Android phone, it sounds fantastic. It’s a DAC and an amp in a USB key sized dongle...

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #1,690 of 4,845
For work, why don’t you get a Audioquest Dragonfly Red ? It’s all you need, powerful enough, small and easy to plug in your work computer or Android phone, it sounds fantastic. It’s a DAC and an amp in a USB key sized dongle...

The DFR is good, but the Shanling M0 DAP is better and about half the price of a DFR. Haven't used my DFR at all (and I LOVED my DFR) since getting the M0. The M0 + amp = absolutely phenominal sound the DFR + amp can't even match: better bass, dynamics, clarity, and soundstage and instrument separation. No phone or laptop needed for it either, much more portable overall than the DFR.

Plus with the M0, it is also a high quality bluetooth receiver/transmitter. M0 is seriously the most impressive portable audio device right now, and used as a DAC with my modded Gustard H10 amp it's closer to the Gustard X20U in sound quality than the DFR while being absolutely tiny in size...
i-z2sp53T-X4.jpg

i-v4L3WjJ-X4.jpg

i-VGLhLGk-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,691 of 4,845
Can anyone give a brief comparison between the 58's and the Phillips SHP-9000s? I know people love the Phillips but, i dont care for them. I need more bass than that. Just curious how the 58's compare... Its so hard to hear people talk about the bass without comparing, as one persons banging bass is another persons lacking bass. Thanks.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,692 of 4,845
Can anyone give a brief comparison between the 58's and the Phillips SHP-9000s? I know people love the Phillips but, i dont care for them. I need more bass than that. Just curious how the 58's compare... Its so hard to hear people talk about the bass without comparing, as one persons banging bass is another persons lacking bass. Thanks.
I've modded my SHP for more bass so it's a little hard to compare even if I have both. I also felt modded the HD58X. So neither is in stock form atm.

They're both phenomenal performers but yes, the SHP do have a severe lack of bass in stock form. To me the SHP has less detail and grainier overall. The HD58X is a bit too hot in the upper treble for my liking. Bass performance on the HD58X is simply superior in every way.

You can mod the SHP for better bass extension but I wouldn't consider that as something most people would do and I think the HD58X still does bass in a more cohesive manner. Some people pad swap the SHP for more bass, but I don't like how they sound with other pads.

Neither are bass monsters but they provide enough satisfaction for me.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,693 of 4,845
Appreciate the thoughtful response. I may have to look into the Bass Mod for the SHP.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,694 of 4,845

No comparison, the HD58X are better in every way over an SHP9500, except maybe comfort. The bass is noticeably better on the HD58X, where the SHP9500 simply rolls off and lacks punch. Mids are full sounding and full of detail which the SHP9500 simply doesn't have. The highs are more intense/sharp and less resolving on the SHP9500.

The SHP9500 has a loose fit, even looser than a TH-X00 while the HD58X has firm grip. HD58X is a clear step above the SHP9500 in sound quality, the only reason I still have my SHP9500 is for gaming - modded SHP9500 + Vmoda Boom PRO = great console gaming setup. The HD58X sound better in game, but require some work for adding a mic and not quite as comfortable for long session use...

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,695 of 4,845
The notorious clamp is back after a few days of not wearing the 58X. I am still waiting for someone (except me) do a direct comparison between 58X and 599 but I will probably go for 599 over 58X simply because of comfort. It was comfortable for just a day or two after I had stretched them over two nights using its own box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back