Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,711 of 4,845
The 58X are more versatile in that you don’t NEED an amp to get good sound out of them. They’re a bit more balanced and less veiled. I think the way they’re presented makes the mids stand out more on the 6XX, whether one prefers that or not is subjective.

The Modi 2 would be used as a DAC, so all your MBP would be doing is supplying the music to it (the only negative effect would be the noise from your laptop’s USB out and there are solutions to lower that if you so choose to).

The Magni 3 seems to be the best amp solution in that price range and it’s the one I would recommend. The Modi 2 has a few competitors of similar quality, but it matches the form factor and is already fairly affordable so I would also recommend it with the Magni 3.
Thank you! So I guess Modi 2/Magni 3 would be the best choice. Now just to decide on the headphone. A drop on the 58X is about to end but I don't think I'm ready yet. I have a Gen 2 H6 currently and I really like them but I've never owned a open headphone and the 650 has always had my interest. However, the new kid in town may change things...

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,712 of 4,845
Hm...I'm pretty set on getting a little audio setup going after I move into my new apartment and was eyeing the HD6XX but the 58X are tempting as well...what do I do!?!? The HD650 is more classic, but the 58X will be cheaper, especially since it is more efficient without an amp.

If I were to get the 6XX, would my best bet be the Magni 3/Modi 2 combo? Will that work fine off of my 6 year old MacBook Pro?

If you want to save money, just buy the Magni3 without the Modi2. The MBP has an excellent Inboard DAC from Wolfson/Cirrus Logic and also a very good headphone output IC amp by the way. You may just plug your HD58X into your MBP and have very good resulting sound. If you need more power, the Magni3 may amplify the output signal of your MBP without need for an external DAC such as the Modi2. Just put your MBP in DAC mode and plug in the Magni3. I seriously doubt your would hear a difference by adding the Modi2. And if there is a difference, just not sure which of the two setups would actually be sonically better. Well I fact I have my opinion on this, but you would probably not agree at first without listening... The Wolfson DACs in Apple products produce very often better sound quality output then many of these external DACs. With the HD6xx I would buy the Magni3 without hesitattion, because the MBP output voltage is not very high for high impedance headphones. With the HD58x I would probably give you the same advice, although the MBP’s voltage output is sufficient for most listening levels with the HD58X. The Magni3 would still beef up the output to your full satisfaction, nevertheless... I just am in the opinion that an outboard DAC is useless and money not well spent when outputting from a Mac computer. It’s that good IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,713 of 4,845
If you want to save money, just buy the Magni3 without the Modi2. The MBP has an excellent Inboard DAC from Wolfson/Cirrus Logic and also a very good headphone output IC amp by the way. You may just plug your HD58X into your MBP and have very good resulting sound. If you need more power, the Magni3 may amplify the output signal of your MBP without need for an external DAC such as the Modi2. Just put your MBP in DAC mode and plug in the Magni3. I seriously doubt your would hear a difference by adding the Modi2. And if there is a difference, just not sure which of the two setups would actually be sonically better. Well I fact I have my opinion on this, but you would probably not agree at first sight. The Wolfson DACs in Apple products produce very often better sound quality output then many of these external DACs. With the HD6xx I would buy the Magni3 without hesitattion, because the MBP outpout voltage is not very high for high impedance headphones. With the HD58x I would probably give you the same advice, although the MBP’s voltage output is sufficient for most listening levels with the HD58X. The Magni3 would still beef up the output to your full satisfaction, nevertheless...
Thank you for this awesome advice.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,714 of 4,845
Thank you! So I guess Modi 2/Magni 3 would be the best choice. Now just to decide on the headphone. A drop on the 58X is about to end but I don't think I'm ready yet. I have a Gen 2 H6 currently and I really like them but I've never owned a open headphone and the 650 has always had my interest. However, the new kid in town may change things...
For additional $150 you can get Audio gd all in one set up used like NFB-11.28 or R2R11 that can make x58 shine ,just mu 2c

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,715 of 4,845
Interesting. I was watching a movie, and tried out different headphones, and noticed that the 58X has sound placement cue. I guess this is what people mean by sound-stage? Placement of sounds is definitely noticeable compared to my TH-X00 cupped headphone. I've heard about HD600's imaging working well for gaming. Perhaps the difference is between open-back to closed (or cupped) back? Is there any generalization can be made in regards to this?

Wouldn't movies(or games) be the right source to test imaging performance?

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,716 of 4,845
One thing I like about these is that the 5-6k doesn't overwhelm to make dialog or vocals too present. This region maybe the part that people would refer to details in sounds, and due to it's characteristic in this region, certain sound materials will not sound sibilant in the dialog/vocals. I don't find it to be very resolving, but non-sibilant characteristic can be something that one is looking for, this headphone would likely satisfy for the low budget. So, movie dialog doesn't get too trebly (sharp sibilant). The treble has a sort of a textury feel to it, and I would analog it to noise/grainy type of feel(you get a sense that the texture isn't from the source material, but a characteristic of the transducer's output), and due to this texture, it's not cleanly resolving sound. But also, it's textury smooth, but not being sibilant. It's not smooth in a clean sounding way, but in a textury way.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,717 of 4,845
Interesting. I was watching a movie, and tried out different headphones, and noticed that the 58X has sound placement cue. I guess this is what people mean by sound-stage? Placement of sounds is definitely noticeable compared to my TH-X00 cupped headphone. I've heard about HD600's imaging working well for gaming. Perhaps the difference is between open-back to closed (or cupped) back? Is there any generalization can be made in regards to this?

I use David Elias-Crossing /Morning Lights/western town (DSD) for imaging,the "sound placement " on 58x is slightly similar to planars ..it seems like the sound stage reaches little farther for some instruments ,it rely depends from the track

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #1,718 of 4,845
If you want to save money, just buy the Magni3 without the Modi2. The MBP has an excellent Inboard DAC from Wolfson/Cirrus Logic and also a very good headphone output IC amp by the way. You may just plug your HD58X into your MBP and have very good resulting sound. If you need more power, the Magni3 may amplify the output signal of your MBP without need for an external DAC such as the Modi2. Just put your MBP in DAC mode and plug in the Magni3. I seriously doubt your would hear a difference by adding the Modi2. And if there is a difference, just not sure which of the two setups would actually be sonically better. Well I fact I have my opinion on this, but you would probably not agree at first without listening... The Wolfson DACs in Apple products produce very often better sound quality output then many of these external DACs. With the HD6xx I would buy the Magni3 without hesitattion, because the MBP output voltage is not very high for high impedance headphones. With the HD58x I would probably give you the same advice, although the MBP’s voltage output is sufficient for most listening levels with the HD58X. The Magni3 would still beef up the output to your full satisfaction, nevertheless... I just am in the opinion that an outboard DAC is useless and money not well spent when outputting from a Mac computer. It’s that good IMO.
Totally agree on the Modi not being such an improvement over onboard audio. That said, I’d still recommend another entry level DAC, the Odac.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,719 of 4,845

If you want to hear something wild from these 58X's--not sure it made a diff that I was in "no foam" mode re took them out of the grills--I'm on my way to doing the evaluation.pdf mod with the stiffened felt--but listen to Tony Williams "Hittin on 6" from Joy of Flying, there's a part where Herbie Hancock does this sort of multi note arpeggiated mini-moog riff that goes off into the distance and I have never heard another headphone present it in the same way--like where is this sound coming from?? It's really wild!

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,720 of 4,845
One thing I like about these is that the 5-6k doesn't overwhelm to make dialog or vocals too present. This region maybe the part that people would refer to details in sounds, and due to it's characteristic in this region, certain sound materials will not sound sibilant in the dialog/vocals. I don't find it to be very resolving, but non-sibilant characteristic can be something that one is looking for, this headphone would likely satisfy for the low budget. So, movie dialog doesn't get too trebly (sharp sibilant). The treble has a sort of a textury feel to it, and I would analog it to noise/grainy type of feel(you get a sense that the texture isn't from the source material, but a characteristic of the transducer's output), and due to this texture, it's not cleanly resolving sound. But also, it's textury smooth, but not being sibilant. It's not smooth in a clean sounding way, but in a textury way.

I think you're articulating exactly the issue I have with these cans--not that I dislike them--but there's a sort of muddled lack of resolution at the upper mids/lower treble that I have noticed. It, for my hearing, seems to take a bit away from the enjoyment of some types of music, where you really want to get in there and hear the magic of some types of instrumentation and vocals. I guess it can work towards the overall benefit of smoothness and consistency but it can leave a sense of disappointment when you're really looking for that emotional connection. I listened to my modded PX-100's after a long listening session with the 58's and I finally realized (and you articulated better than I could) what was missing. There are things that the 58's do better than my PX100's-namely it really does piano well. I mean really well and even better with a bit of bass boost. The round tonality of a well recorded piano is one of the strong points with the 58X. The felt mod is supposed to take a bit of the "wooliness" out and we'll see how it turns out. I realize though that there are simply differences in the transducers of various headphones and my bet is that the basic sound differences are in large part due to these.

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,721 of 4,845
If you want to hear something wild from these 58X's--not sure it made a diff that I was in "no foam" mode re took them out of the grills--I'm on my way to doing the evaluation.pdf mod with the stiffened felt--but listen to Tony Williams "Hittin on 6" from Joy of Flying, there's a part where Herbie Hancock does this sort of multi note arpeggiated mini-moog riff that goes off into the distance and I have never heard another headphone present it in the same way--like where is this sound coming from?? It's really wild!

I just listened to the track and the part you mentioned on my 58Xs, and through mine it sounds very closed within the headphone. I'm using a MOTU MicroBook into a Mayflower O2. My guess is the removal of the foam is helping to create that effect for you. I still have the foam in mine.

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,722 of 4,845

The 58x are really something when watching a movie from the Sennheiser GSX1000 (which is a 7.1 > 2.0 virtual surround downsampler). It is really something, you feel engulfed by the audio. Althought it is a fairly poor dac from a clarity and amplification standpoint, I still keep it for the 7.1 sense immersion and positional cues.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,723 of 4,845
Sounds like an interesting track to try out.

IME, this kind of stuff happens with headphones. One way to find out if it's particular to the headphone, you'd try out the same passage with several other headphones. It may just in general be track related. There's some odd things that happen with sound at times.

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,725 of 4,845
I just listened to the track and the part you mentioned on my 58Xs, and through mine it sounds very closed within the headphone. I'm using a MOTU MicroBook into a Mayflower O2. My guess is the removal of the foam is helping to create that effect for you. I still have the foam in mine.

I was listening to the track on Tidal if that makes any difference. Magni2U on high gain/Modi2U over optical from a PC.

It's the last bit of that mini moog part from about 1:05 to 1:11. Hearing it now it doesn't sound as dramatically disembodied/outside the head as I remembered but it must have just struck me as not something I was used to hearing when I've listened to the track on other headphones. As a side note the 58X really does a nice job rendering George Benson's fine solo on Coming Back Home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back