Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,726 of 4,845
Hm...I'm pretty set on getting a little audio setup going after I move into my new apartment and was eyeing the HD6XX but the 58X are tempting as well...what do I do!?!?

Get both? :D

Seriously though, if you can afford it, they are different enough to give a (related but) different listening experience.

If I were to get the 6XX, would my best bet be the Magni 3/Modi 2 combo? Will that work fine off of my 6 year old MacBook Pro?

I’d bet it would. I have a Modi2Uber that works great with my MacBook Pro (mid 2015 model).

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,728 of 4,845
Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,729 of 4,845
being the 58X will work pretty good with my iPhone I decided to get a short cable with an iPhone remote and a mic and surprisingly even at a budget price it not only works well but is made better than the oem cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F1JHKGM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2
Well, ideally I’d like to own only one pair at a time (or one open back and closed back) for some reason I’d like to not give myself many options and just focus on one or two pairs.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,730 of 4,845
Aug 14, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,731 of 4,845
That brand seems to have nice cables at very reasonable prices.
much better than I expected and the sound is good along with the remote and mic making phone calls and listening to music with a wired remote is very convenient.

I had missed phone calls from my wife because I could not unplug quick enough to answer her so now all I have to do is push a button and she hears me perfect.

and $16 is a bargain

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,732 of 4,845
If you want to save money, just buy the Magni3 without the Modi2. The MBP has an excellent Inboard DAC from Wolfson/Cirrus Logic and also a very good headphone output IC amp by the way. You may just plug your HD58X into your MBP and have very good resulting sound. If you need more power, the Magni3 may amplify the output signal of your MBP without need for an external DAC such as the Modi2. Just put your MBP in DAC mode and plug in the Magni3. I seriously doubt your would hear a difference by adding the Modi2. And if there is a difference, just not sure which of the two setups would actually be sonically better. Well I fact I have my opinion on this, but you would probably not agree at first without listening... The Wolfson DACs in Apple products produce very often better sound quality output then many of these external DACs. With the HD6xx I would buy the Magni3 without hesitattion, because the MBP output voltage is not very high for high impedance headphones. With the HD58x I would probably give you the same advice, although the MBP’s voltage output is sufficient for most listening levels with the HD58X. The Magni3 would still beef up the output to your full satisfaction, nevertheless... I just am in the opinion that an outboard DAC is useless and money not well spent when outputting from a Mac computer. It’s that good IMO.

How would I put a Macbook into "DAC mode?" I've never heard of this on any Macbook and I was wondering if I could get a line out from my Macbook Air as well (latest version). I'd love to just use either a Magni or Vali with it.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #1,733 of 4,845
Interesting. I was watching a movie, and tried out different headphones, and noticed that the 58X has sound placement cue. I guess this is what people mean by sound-stage? Placement of sounds is definitely noticeable compared to my TH-X00 cupped headphone. I've heard about HD600's imaging working well for gaming. Perhaps the difference is between open-back to closed (or cupped) back? Is there any generalization can be made in regards to this?

Wouldn't movies(or games) be the right source to test imaging performance?

It's related to soundstage, but what you are hearing are these headphones superior imaging capabilities. I have the HD800 and K701, both renowned for large soundstage. Whilst the 58X soundstage isn't as large the imaging is superior to both...by miles in my books.

The imaging isn't relying on frequency response tricks or cup resonance tricks, as the other two employ. But rather sheer precision at tracking the electronic signal at the majority of the midrange. Excellent channel matching and sheer effectiveness of resolve at these frequency ranges.

Take acapella, the voices are meant to gel together to create harmony. These headphones not only peel away the individual voices, but also precisely map out each voice, like nothing I have ever heard...perhaps my cue to explore electrostats? This is no trickery but rather sheer accuracy and precision.

These are arguably the best sounding headphone I have ever owned.

One thing I like about these is that the 5-6k doesn't overwhelm to make dialog or vocals too present. This region maybe the part that people would refer to details in sounds, and due to it's characteristic in this region, certain sound materials will not sound sibilant in the dialog/vocals. I don't find it to be very resolving, but non-sibilant characteristic can be something that one is looking for, this headphone would likely satisfy for the low budget. So, movie dialog doesn't get too trebly (sharp sibilant). The treble has a sort of a textury feel to it, and I would analog it to noise/grainy type of feel(you get a sense that the texture isn't from the source material, but a characteristic of the transducer's output), and due to this texture, it's not cleanly resolving sound. But also, it's textury smooth, but not being sibilant. It's not smooth in a clean sounding way, but in a textury way.

It sounds bang on correct at the midrange to my ears. These are the most neutral sounding headphones in my collection. And you are correct, the dialogue in speech indentify it is as perfect in tone in the mids.

The texture you hear is a limitation of a full range dynamic driver. Electrostats and Planar are more perfect in cymbals and sibilance. They could have avoided this by not introducing a slight peak at the top treble...but music sounds better when there is a tiny rise in the glittering treble, not so good for speech and that is a trade off.

Tubes fix this texture issue and bring it to more planar sounding. They give an easier signal to track and a more easily tracked signal is a more accurate sound...true for dynamic drivers in the treble.

Make no mistake. These are the real deal. The holy grail in proving that price is not a barrier to near perfection.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #1,734 of 4,845
It's related to soundstage, but what you are hearing are these headphones superior imaging capabilities. I have the HD800 and K701, both renowned for large soundstage. Whilst the 58X soundstage isn't as large the imaging is superior to both...by miles in my books.

The imaging isn't relying on frequency response tricks or cup resonance tricks, as the other two employ. But rather sheer precision at tracking the electronic signal at the majority of the midrange. Excellent channel matching and sheer effectiveness of resolve at these frequency ranges.

Take acapella, the voices are meant to gel together to create harmony. These headphones not only peel away the individual voices, but locate them distinctively from one another, like nothing I have ever heard...perhaps my cue to explore electrostats? This is no trickery but rather sheer accuracy and precision.

It sounds bang on correct at the midrange to my ears. These are the most neutral sounding headphones in my collection. And you are correct, the dialogue in speech indentify it is as perfect in tone in the mids.

The texture you hear is a limitation of a full range dynamic driver. Electrostats and Planar are more perfect in cymbals and sibilance. They could have avoided this by not introducing a slight peak at the top treble...but music sounds better when there is a tiny rise in the glittering treble, not so good for speech and that is a trade off.

Tubes fix this texture issue and bring it to more planar sounding. They give an easier signal to track and a more easily tracked signal is a more accurate sound...true for dynamic drivers in the treble.

Make no mistake. These are the real deal. The holy grail in proving that price is not a barrier to near perfection.
I think for Avengers (Infinity War) it worked better for placement of sounds, but when I switched over to Saving Private Ryan (which has excellent sound, won Academy awards), the TH-X00 Ebony sounded more realistic in tonality and with the deeper low-end helps for cinema. Location cue was good as well (not worse than 58X this time). Just than cupped headphones probably create a flat sounding main dialog or center sounds. This is what I notice most in general of headphones compared to speakers for cinema. The way the tonality is for the main dialog (I think this maybe due to the directionality of the sound, and isolation only to the ears, from headphones compared to speakers).

As far as tonality is concerned(particularly for movies), 58X wasn't really that realistic, but the placement of sounds due to being an open headphone. Sounds are more defined in imaging, but doesn't mean tonality of sounds reaches realism for all cases.

The Ebony TH-X00 can sound more realistic depending on the track. Doesn't reach high performance for distortion guitar rock, and neither does 58X (in which I think TH-X00 maybe a bit worse off).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,735 of 4,845
I believe I own the big grand daddy of your TH X00. I have a balanced pair of Denon D7000.

Whatever problem plagues my D7000 plagues your Fostex. The closed can and total smear in the rhythm section. Perhaps not a closed can weakness as the Shure SE215 iems are closed in principle yet breathe just fine down low mids.

The HD58X induction and exhaust system works better here than the Fostex...much better.

Yet the HD650 is better here yet again...total free flow system.

Realism in voice...in movies? Such a reality does not exist. A movie soundtrack is recorded at reference 90 db. The cinema X curve takes this into account.

Who can speak casual conversation at 90 db? A madman can, to himself, locked securely away at the crazy house.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,736 of 4,845

Take acapella, the voices are meant to gel together to create harmony. These headphones not only peel away the individual voices, but also precisely map out each voice, like nothing I have ever heard...perhaps my cue to explore electrostats? This is no trickery but rather sheer accuracy and precision.

Can’t agree more on imaging. I love the AKG and the HD800, but the imaging on the Sennheiser HD6 series are still the most believable - for lack of a better word.
Have you got a chance to audition other Sennheiser in the series though? The HD6xx or the HD660 for example

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,737 of 4,845
I don't have any complaints about the soundstage either. If it sounds too narrow, I would blame the source and/or amp.

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,738 of 4,845
I don't have any complaints about the soundstage either. If it sounds too narrow, I would blame the source and/or amp.

Everything is relative, as already mentioned these are a good deal behind the Q701's and especially HD800S in soundstage. For an open headphone I'd say width is average as best, and now it's no the fault of my sources :wink:

I think that many people would expect a larger soundstage from an open headphone but I still feel that these sounds right in many ways and they're wider than the HD650 (and overall more enjoyable) to my ears.

Surprisingly enough I also think they're better than my modded HD700 as well and I really enjoy those.

I'm going to post some more comparisons between these and the rest of my Sennheisers when I get some more time with them.

I really like the HD58X though and after five days with them I'd probably place them behind my top three performers (HE560, HD800S and A800) but above the rest of my collection.....

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,739 of 4,845
Gotta agree with you. I've owned far more expensive cans. These are absolutely the real deal. I haven't heard anything image this good either. As far as soundstage. To me it's more realistic and believable. Probably the most 3D. The stage is perfectly balanced . HD700 & 800 were way too much. It didn't take long for fatigue to settle in from the soundstage alone. Music seemed to disconnect pretty fast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back