Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 7, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,666 of 4,845
I have a Question for any members that own the HD-58X Jubilees and the Hifiman HE-4XX because I bought a set of HE-4XX which will be delivered today and am wondering are their need for amplification like the Jubilees or closer to my HD-6XX ?
I know most of my Sennheisers such as the original 580s ,600s , and 6XXs are close in Amplification needs but if going just by the numbers it would seem the 4XXs would be as easy to drive as the Jubilees but these are the first set of Planars I've owned the closest would be my Electrostatics .
but any info on the 4XXs would be appreciated in comparison to the Jubilees or my other Senns
thanks

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #1,667 of 4,845
I have a Question for any members that own the HD-58X Jubilees and the Hifiman HE-4XX because I bought a set of HE-4XX which will be delivered today and am wondering are their need for amplification like the Jubilees or closer to my HD-6XX ?
I know most of my Sennheisers such as the original 580s ,600s , and 6XXs are close in Amplification needs but if going just by the numbers it would seem the 4XXs would be as easy to drive as the Jubilees but these are the first set of Planars I've owned the closest would be my Electrostatics .
but any info on the 4XXs would be appreciated in comparison to the Jubilees or my other Senns
thanks

Not exactly what you're asking but by all indications pretty close: The HE400i needs at least the same volume setting on my Burson Conductor V2+ as the HD650 to reach the same output volume.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #1,668 of 4,845
Not exactly what you're asking but by all indications pretty close: The HE400i needs at least the same volume setting on my Burson Conductor V2+ as the HD650 to reach the same output volume.
Actually that gives me exactly the information I need
thanks.
what are your opinions of the Hifiman HE400is ? Being they have the same drivers as the HE-4XXs ?

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,669 of 4,845
Well, I have never used an O2 amp. But, My volume range on both my Schiit Valhalla 2 and my Asgard 2 was from 7 O'clock to 2 O'clock on the dial until too loud (the dial maxes out at almost 6 O'clock which would be murder). So plenty of headroom and plenty of room to adjust volume to your desired listening level on high gain. I personally feel like I have less room to adjust on Low Gain mode because everything below 12 O' Clock is too quiet. As I said before, gain modes are different for different amps. With the Asgard 2, a solid state amp, I found the gain switch really just changed the volume; where as the Valhalla 2 does change the sound signature a little bit more when switching between gain modes (mainly in the very highs and very lows). I am sure tubes make a difference there as well, though. Lots of variables to consider here.
The O2 amp I have 1x and 3,3x. So basically, the low gain is no gain. Not sure about what normal and high gain are on AE-5 but low is no gain (as in equal to line out, which pumps out 2 Vrms as far as I know).

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,670 of 4,845
The O2 amp I have 1x and 3,3x. So basically, the low gain is no gain. Not sure about what normal and high gain are on AE-5 but low is no gain (as in equal to line out, which pumps out 2 Vrms as far as I know).
It also depends the kind of music you listen to, if you listen modern music then it most likely has a low dynamic range and the volume is already loud. Classical music or Jazz usually have lower volume and higher dynamic range.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,671 of 4,845
I have no idea how you guys can possibly default to high gain... Heck, if I don't use the volume pot the comfortable volume range is <8% on low gain (so I guess I don't even need to say how loud normal and high are). Some kind of volume controller is a must so I'll usually use 18% volume for AE-5 and vol pot around 33-40% (same would apply to O2 when using line out and 1x gain). I can't see how high gain could do any good with these unless the DAC that feeds the AMP is unbelievably weak.

I use low gain all the time, also with HD6XX.

Mainly because I’m already pretty low on the volume knob (9 o’clock) as it is and using high gain I must lower it to just shy of 8 o’clock.
That makes it harder to adjust the volume to the level I want as the turning the knob just a little down there has a large effect.

Plus, I tried high gain and couldn’t hear much difference apart from it simply being louder.

Using ModiMB+Magni3 btw.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,672 of 4,845
thanks
I can drive the HD650 to listenable level (and more) from my Macbook Pro, but sound quality is obviously an entirely different matter. The HD58x on the other hand doesn't need an amp to sound decent (70% decent I think). Anyway if you've got an amp that can drive the HD6xx, the HE4xx shouldn't be any problem.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,673 of 4,845
It also depends the kind of music you listen to, if you listen modern music then it most likely has a low dynamic range and the volume is already loud. Classical music or Jazz usually have lower volume and higher dynamic range.
I set the volume so that I could listen full blast comfortably and then leave it at that no matter what content. It does mean that there's some room for classical (if it never makes full use of dynamic range) but usually I don't touch the volume.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,674 of 4,845
I have no idea how you guys can possibly default to high gain... Heck, if I don't use the volume pot the comfortable volume range is <8% on low gain (so I guess I don't even need to say how loud normal and high are). Some kind of volume controller is a must so I'll usually use 18% volume for AE-5 and vol pot around 33-40% (same would apply to O2 when using line out and 1x gain). I can't see how high gain could do any good with these unless the DAC that feeds the AMP is unbelievably weak.
Looks like you have 2x amps in your chain ..I would lower output pre on Sound BlasterX AE-5 ,this should help
Edit ;can you go negative dB on AE-5 ?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,675 of 4,845
Hmm... I feel the HD58X are closer to the on stage sound than the 650. As a long time band member I look for that feel and sound in my headphones. I want things to sound correct. I really didn't get on with the 650 as they sounded fake compared to my IT pair (565 Ovations). The 58X feel to be cut from the same cloth as my faithful Ovations. They give me the on stage sound and tone.

I know this personal audio thing is well... Personal. But to me, the 58X feels much closer to the on stage sound to me.

Yeah...there is certainly a more realistic clarity to the Jubilees. I always loathed the upper mid and treble clarity on the HD650.

I can also imagine if one were at one end of the stage facing the rest of the band more so than the crowd, and the Jubilees extra layering capability makes even more of a case for having the on stage sound.

The HD650 still does mid bass and rhythm more realistically to my ears....if you can accept the loss if attacking transient.

I have always argued that the HD650 was quite neutral...lacking in definition in the top half of the musical range. It took the Jubilees to demonstrate that indeed, this frequency response is quite neutral once the definition is improved in that range.

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #1,676 of 4,845
Looks like you have 2x amps in your chain ..I would lower output pre on Sound BlasterX AE-5 ,this should help
Edit ;can you go negative dB on AE-5 ?
I'm using the headphone amp out on my AE-5. If I'd use O2 I'd hook it to line-out. I'm not dual amping. I was a bit surprised that going from HD 595 to HD 58X changed nothing - both are about as loud at the same volume settings.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,677 of 4,845
Yeah the sensitivity and highish ohm of the Jubilees makes volume comparisons all over the shop between different amps and headphones. You would think they would be considerable lower volume between these and the AKG earphones that come with the Samsung S9... but not really. My Senn portable PX100s...also need more volume on the dial than the 58X on some devices and others it needs less.

Also there is no standard on what constitutes low gain and high gain on a headphone amp. The gain level is set by the manufacturer of the amplifier target headphones. For instance low can be much higher on a desktop amp than high gain on a portable amp. Target of a low gain for a portable amp would be a sensitive BA drivers in IEM and on a desktop, low gain is intended for a Grado perhaps.

Regardless, I do believe the Jubilees are definitely able to resolve the better DACs and amps as I move them up the chain. Definitely no worse than the HD650 to my ears in this regard. Only difference being you wouldn't plug the HD650 into a low powered output of a typical smartphone, there just isn't enough drive to power up the dynamics. Whereas a typical smartphone headphone jack can throttle up the Jubilees to enough volume for a short blast....so as to not damage your hearing of course.

The great thing about the sensitivity and impedance of this headphone is the limitless options that is completely compatible. Solid state and of course, all of them miraculous tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #1,678 of 4,845
Yeah, when plugged in to my Honor 8 it never felt that it couldn't drive it power wise. Obviously with better gear you get the obvious benefits but when it comes to power, these aren't picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back