Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #586 of 2,030
My headphones were just delivered - my wife heard the package falling on our concrete porch... The USPS employee just threw it - probably from distance. Massdrop is cheap - the race to the bottom... I'll see if the headphones are ok when I get home.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #587 of 2,030
My headphones were just delivered - my wife heard the package falling on our concrete porch... The USPS employee just threw it - probably from distance. Massdrop is cheap - the race to the bottom... I'll see if the headphones are ok when I get home.
The Elex I had came in a presentation box alike the Elear. If the production Elex is still the same, then it should be ok but poor presentation box!

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #588 of 2,030
I so far am loving mine. Just sampling them, a little taste every now and then, while they burn in. I am patient. Really I am. HURRY UP - gads 150 hours is an eternity!

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #590 of 2,030
was this recommended somewhere? not really experienced with burn in and ****
I am in the habit of burning in all headphones for that much time. Some say it helps the drivers achieve their long term configuration. Others say that is empty headed superstition. But it seems that many do notice a difference after some burn in, with the time needed being somewhat in debate...

What I do though is avoid brain burn in - where you learn and get used to the new signature by listening for many hours - and instead burn them in while not wearing them by just playing random music.

I tend to err on the side of caution. Other than a few more grey hairs it does not cost me much...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #591 of 2,030
USPS throwing them on your porch is obviously not Massdrop’s fault. Call and give the Post Office a piece of your mind and get them to reimburse you if possible for at least shipping back to Massdrop. I am so sorry you are going through this, but I hope you love your Elex headphones in the end!!!

May 1, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #593 of 2,030
Ok - first thing first. The clamping is fine - no problems. Elex is not heavy or at least it doesn't appear to be; a few months ago I gave up my LCD-4 because of clamping and weight.
Secondly - I thoroughly checked for sibilance - none.
Now I am enjoying the new headphones on my Chord Mojo :) the sound is detailed - I like it.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #594 of 2,030
All is fine. Massdrop should have charged 1$ more and have FedEx deliver rather than USPS - or ship it as fragile. Anyway - super nice box, and superb looking headphones.
Listening to them as I type. Happy with my purchase so far.
Yay!!!!!

As for me, so far I have high hopes for these among my stable of headphones!!!

May 1, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #595 of 2,030
It's not quite right. My Elex's were broken but at low volume weren't completely unlistenable. I heard the Elear with Clear pads at AXPONA & there's a couple differences that a pad swap didn't add: the air in the treble & the more forward mids of the Elex. The driver's tuned differently that way. The Elear did have similar bass after the swap because of the perforations in the Clear pads but the mids weren't as forward (though not as recessed as before, mainly because the midbass didn't bleed into the midrange is badly as before.) They are similar sounding but not exactly "just a pad swap."
Hi - I’m more interested in Elex <—> Elear than Elear <—> Clear. I don’t expect the Elex/Elear to quite match the voicing of the Clear, but t would be good to know if putting the Elex pads on an Elear turns the Elear into an Elex, and vice versa. That comparison I haven’t seen done yet.

May 1, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #596 of 2,030
Wow, Elex is Elear with similar pads as Clear?

Is it confirmed they both are identical minus the pads?
If you have faith in this guy's statement, [I tend to], not totally identical ...
The build quality is the same as other Focal headphones, which is excellent.
As far as I know, if you bought a set of Clear pads and put them on an Elear, you'd have similar results. [Edit: Turns out the damping is slightly different.]
^ Bold font is my emphasis.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #597 of 2,030
I so far am loving mine. Just sampling them, a little taste every now and then, while they burn in. I am patient. Really I am. HURRY UP - gads 150 hours is an eternity!

Just listen to music with them. It is unlikely you'll get radically different results after that time and you can still enjoy them if there are any changes.

May 1, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #598 of 2,030
Hi - I’m more interested in Elex <—> Elear than Elear <—> Clear. I don’t expect the Elex/Elear to quite match the voicing of the Clear, but t would be good to know if putting the Elex pads on an Elear turns the Elear into an Elex, and vice versa. That comparison I haven’t seen done yet.
I'm not sure what you're asking here. The Elex has the exact same pads as the Clear, just in black. They'd have the exact same effect on the Elear as a result, which like I said isn't identical to the Elex. Similar yes, the same no.

May 1, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #599 of 2,030
I'm not sure what you're asking here. The Elex has the exact same pads as the Clear, just in black. They'd have the exact same effect on the Elear as a result, which like I said isn't identical to the Elex. Similar yes, the same no.
I’m asking if you put Elear pads on the Elex (not Clear), does the Elex then sound the same as the Elear? Would be good to hear from someone who actually tries this.

I want to know if the Elex is an Elear with new pads.

May 1, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #600 of 2,030
I’m asking if you put Elear pads on the Elex (not Clear), does the Elex then sound the same as the Elear? Would be good to hear from someone who actually tries this.

I want to know if the Elex is an Elear with new pads.
I don't have an Elear on hand to do the swap but given the nature of the pad I can see them sounding similar (they do have the same driver after all) but not exactly the same which is the case vice versa.

For the third time now, no, the Elex is not just an "Elear with Clear pads." I've heard both & listed the differences a few posts ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back