Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Jul 25, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #811 of 1,441
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #812 of 1,441
My included 6922 tube popped, so looking for a replacement. I've read a few people using the Gold Lion, any other recs? I would enjoy a touch brighter, more energetic of a sound but am otherwise pretty happy.

Also, I should add a resolution to my drama from earlier in this thread when my 4 year-old busted my SDAC in my CTH. Massdrop helped me come up with a fix, which I finally got time to work through and am up and running again. Just wanted to give a shout out to their customer service!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #813 of 1,441
My included 6922 tube popped, so looking for a replacement. I've read a few people using the Gold Lion, any other recs? I would enjoy a touch brighter, more energetic of a sound but am otherwise pretty happy.

Also, I should add a resolution to my drama from earlier in this thread when my 4 year-old busted my SDAC in my CTH. Massdrop helped me come up with a fix, which I finally got time to work through and am up and running again. Just wanted to give a shout out to their customer service!

Personally, I love the Amperex Tubes, Bugle Boys, A Frame, with a preference for those manufactured in Holland.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #814 of 1,441

Try a PCC88 Tungsram. It almost has a tube sound but almost has a SS quality to it. Definitely will add more brightness. Found cheaply on eBay and it's a great tube.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #815 of 1,441
Personally, I love the Amperex Tubes, Bugle Boys, A Frame, with a preference for those manufactured in Holland.

Try a PCC88 Tungsram. It almost has a tube sound but almost has a SS quality to it. Definitely will add more brightness. Found cheaply on eBay and it's a great tube.
Which tubes are recommended for people that want the CTH to sound a bit more tubey with a nice bass slam?
I definitely do not want extra brightness - not a treble fan myself (but would appreciate extra bass...)

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #816 of 1,441
Jul 29, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #817 of 1,441
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #820 of 1,441
Which tubes are recommended for people that want the CTH to sound a bit more tubey with a nice bass slam?
I definitely do not want extra brightness - not a treble fan myself (but would appreciate extra bass...)

Without having to buy adapters I think a good tube would be a Voshkod 6N23P. It won't break the bank ($15 - $20 single) and the top can extend without it being bright. Most Russian tubes have nice bass and slam. It'll take some time (100 hours) for the tube to finally settle in. Talk to AuditoryCanvas about buying a single. He's a great seller and tests everything that he receives.

It's hard to recommend some tubes in the MCTH since the changes are small when it comes to 6922 and equivalent tubes. My favorite are Amperex D-getter tubes that are around $250 a pair but they don't sound so hot in this amp.

Edit: Gold Lions may be a great contender from others description but I've never heard them.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #821 of 1,441
Got my Gold Lion, and let it sit in the amp running for 6 hours or so and am listening now. My old tube blew so I can't A/B, but so far I'm happy with the sound. I think it has just a hair more sparkle without taking much of a hit in terms of warmth or musicality. I ordered a PCC88 tube too, so we'll give that a go too once it arrives.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #823 of 1,441
I hope it's not a bad thing to use the XLR and SE output at the same time.
It's much more convenient have fun with different headphones using the same music track this way.
MCTH is definitely one of my favorite headphone amps that I've ever tried.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #824 of 1,441
I hope it's not a bad thing to use the XLR and SE output at the same time.
It's much more convenient have fun with different headphones using the same music track this way.
MCTH is definitely one of my favorite headphone amps that I've ever tried.

How's that working for you? From memory, someone mentioned that the amp would shutdown when they had both outputs being used. Could of just been his specific amp. I've never tried it on mine.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #825 of 1,441
How's that working for you? From memory, someone mentioned that the amp would shutdown when they had both outputs being used. Could of just been his specific amp. I've never tried it on mine.
It’s been fine with my 650s and 800s that I had plugged in this morning, but I don’t know the long-run consequences.
At least the impedances are similar for both of those headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back