Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 4, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #826 of 1,442
Don't waste your time with 6922 tubes. Get yourself a e88cc to 6c8g adapter and 2 socket savers. Ken rad 6c8g , or my favorite, Tung-sol 6c8g. These tubes deliver exactly what you're looking for and then some. The soundstage is also massive on these tubes.
Adapter= $15
Socket savers(bakelite)= $6 pair. Tubemonger savers $60 pair. The cheap ones work fine.
Ken rad 6c8g= about $20 shipped
Tung-sol = about $50 to $70 shipped.
So.. for around 40 bucks or less you can have the Ken rad setup that'll smoke all the 6922 tubes known to man. Lol.
Which tubes are recommended for people that want the CTH to sound a bit more tubey with a nice bass slam?
I definitely do not want extra brightness - not a treble fan myself (but would appreciate extra bass...)

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #827 of 1,442
Don't waste your time with 6922 tubes. Get yourself a e88cc to 6c8g adapter and 2 socket savers. Ken rad 6c8g , or my favorite, Tung-sol 6c8g. These tubes deliver exactly what you're looking for and then some. The soundstage is also massive on these tubes.
Adapter= $15
Socket savers(bakelite)= $6 pair. Tubemonger savers $60 pair. The cheap ones work fine.
So.. for around 40 bucks or less you can have the Ken rad setup that'll smoke all the 6922 tubes known to man. Lol.
Now, you got me interested in the ken rad option (tung sol just too pricey...)!
Can you please post links to reliable sources for adapter and $6 socket savers?
Also, any recommendation for place to order ken rad tube from? Or just roll the dice on eBay?

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #828 of 1,442
Adapter= $15
Also, can you post a photo of the CTH with a 6c8g tube ? Doesn’t it look weird? Just curious...

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #829 of 1,442
Here's the adapter:
tiny.cc/7o5fwy

Here's the savers:
tiny.cc/7v5fwy

Here's the tubes: (1 Ken rad/ 1JAN CHC)
tiny.cc/hz5fwy

It may look weird to some, but beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. :D

I'll snap a pic when I get home in the morning.

Also, can you post a photo of the CTH with a 6c8g tube ? Doesn’t it look weird? Just curious...

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #830 of 1,442

Before you go down this road just know that you do so at your own risk. There’s a high possibility that MD will not cover your amp if it develops issues.

Now that’s behind us:

I personally enjoy the 6c8g tubes in this amp because of its expansive and holographic sound. I’d purchase one socket saver from Tube Monger. In case the socket saver ever wears out they’ll replace them free which is well worth the asking price. There’s already a horror story of the cheaper socket saver taking out a MCTH because of short caused by sloppy soldering.

Tubes:
1. Tung Sols - by far my favorite and most life like sounding. The mids are to die for.
2. RCA - Warm and slight roll off the top. Easy listening tube. Good bass but can sound tubby.
3. Sylvania - Consider this a baby Tung Sol. Sweet with less body.
4. Ken Rad - Powerful with tight bass and explosive. Linear but no boring. Great for orchestral music.
5. National Union - They are very linear with nothing standing out. I find them ok.

Pic:
C99DCDF4-F791-4362-BAB2-48DD9AE725E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #831 of 1,442
I absolutely agree with the tubemonger savers. Even if it puts your budget closer to $60/$65. Hard to beat their warranty and reliability.
Before you go down this road just know that you do so at your own risk. There’s a high possibility that MD will not cover your amp if it develops issues.

Now that’s behind us:

I personally enjoy the 6c8g tubes in this amp because of its expansive and holographic sound. I’d purchase one socket saver from Tube Monger. In case the socket saver ever wears out they’ll replace them free which is well worth the asking price. There’s already a horror story of the cheaper socket saver taking out a MCTH because of short caused by sloppy soldering.

Tubes:
1. Tung Sols - by far my favorite and most life like sounding. The mids are to die for.
2. RCA - Warm and slight roll off the top. Easy listening tube. Good bass but can sound tubby.
4. Ken Rad - Powerful with tight bass and explosive. Linear but no boring. Great for orchestral music.
5. National Union - They are very linear with nothing standing out. I find them ok.

Pic:

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #832 of 1,442

Now that’s behind us:

Tubes:

Pic:
Hmm that looks interesting! After all this talk of tube rolling I figured I should give it a go, this being my first amp with a tube in it and all. I have a 6922 Reflektor tube on the way, but this set up looks intriguing.

If I may ask - what is the cap and cable for on the tube adapter that sits on top of the tube? I can’t think of any electrical function that could be providing...

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #833 of 1,442
Hmm that looks interesting! After all this talk of tube rolling I figured I should give it a go, this being my first amp with a tube in it and all. I have a 6922 Reflektor tube on the way, but this set up looks intriguing.

If I may ask - what is the cap and cable for on the tube adapter that sits on top of the tube? I can’t think of any electrical function that could be providing...

It’s attached to the tube’s top cap. You can see the explanation of its electrical function here: http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0062.htm

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #834 of 1,442
Completes the circuit.

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #836 of 1,442
A 7193 is a single triode, not the usual double, and has 2 top caps like 'mickey mouse' - some early tubes used them

Phantom, what effect do those hi-freq filters (round 'things' on the cable) have on the sound?

Looks like I'll need the bigger 'tube protection frame' size from 'vtfc' for this - maybe the CH-FM-50 that's for the EL34 will do?

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #837 of 1,442
A 7193 is a single triode, not the usual double, and has 2 top caps like 'mickey mouse' - some early tubes used them

Phantom, what effect do those hi-freq filters (round 'things' on the cable) have on the sound?

Looks like I'll need the bigger 'tube protection frame' size from 'vtfc' for this - maybe the CH-FM-50 that's for the EL34 will do?

It was really just a try at trying to stop any rf pollution from getting in from some of the close by electronics. Had my WAP and a desk fan that caused a little bit of trouble. Haven't heard anything after adding them on. I don't even think I need so many...just makes it look cool.

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #840 of 1,442
Do you have any evidence for that claim? If so please share it.
It’s a known fact that pretty much everyone here knows already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back