Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Jul 6, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #781 of 1,441
Just got my CTH in and loving how it sounds with the TH-X00 PHs. Excited to hear how they will sound after breaking in and how they'll sound with my 6XXs.

On another note, I am getting some constant static in the left channel. I've checked my connections and all seems fine. Is this something I can expect to go away after the tubes break in?

I had an issue like that when I first set things up ... I tracked it down to a triplite line conditioner ... once removed ... No move funky sounds for me ... Also changed the stock tube ...

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #782 of 1,441
I had an issue like that when I first set things up ... I tracked it down to a triplite line conditioner ... once removed ... No move funky sounds for me ... Also changed the stock tube ...

Will give that a try! I do have it plugged into a surge protector at the moment so hopefully directly to the wall will work better. Also, what tube did you change to? Not sure if my wallets ready to try tube rolling haha but I've heard the stock tube is already pretty good.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #784 of 1,441
Electro-Harmonix 6922 Gold version ... About $10 USD more than stock
Any noticeable difference in sound?
Some have claimed that tube rolling on CTH makes no sense due to no audible difference...

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #785 of 1,441
Well my original tube that came from massdrop was ok .. but it wasn't of great quality ... I have a few other sets of tubes for use with another amp .. so I just picked the extra gold one I had on hand .. haven't tried any others yet .. But to me it is a better

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #787 of 1,441
Hi guys,

I currently got a HD650 paired with a NFB 11.28 and it sounds wonderful.

But all these positive reviews with the CTH + HD650 pairing has got me real curious.

Does anyone have experience with both the NFB 11 and CTH that can chime in? Specifically better if you had it paired with HD650.

Jul 15, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #789 of 1,441
Anyone notice that the RCA inputs seem a tiny bit smaller? I have a short set of BJ cables ... they seem a bit loose on the CTH ... Flipped cables around with the same result ... The DAC end connects firmly

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #790 of 1,441
Anyone notice that the RCA inputs seem a tiny bit smaller? I have a short set of BJ cables ... they seem a bit loose on the CTH ... Flipped cables around with the same result ... The DAC end connects firmly
I'm using a one foot length of Blue Jeans RCA cables to connect the CTH to Mimby. The connection is nicely tight on both ends. In order to burn in the amp and tube, the first couple of weeks I had the amp, I was moving it daily between my music setup (where it now stays) and my TV (where I have a short run Monoprice RCA cable even tighter than the Blue Jeans connected to a second Mimby); the connection remained snug.

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #792 of 1,441
I've got the same problem of the scratchy volume pot that's been mentioned in this thread a few times. I see other comments that Deoxit is the way to go to fix this. I presume you just use the screws at the back of the CTH to open up the case, then on the inner side of the volume pot is a potentiometer or similar, and you inject some Deoxit into the potentiometer, then turn the volume pot to clean it out? Is this what others have done?

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #793 of 1,441
I've got the same problem of the scratchy volume pot that's been mentioned in this thread a few times. I see other comments that Deoxit is the way to go to fix this. I presume you just use the screws at the back of the CTH to open up the case, then on the inner side of the volume pot is a potentiometer or similar, and you inject some Deoxit into the potentiometer, then turn the volume pot to clean it out? Is this what others have done?

Seems to me that requiring the use of deoxit or equivalent intervention on a relatively new product is fairly concerning.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #794 of 1,441
Does anyone know if you can use an adapter and use the: General Electric (GE) 5654. I don't want to blow it up.
I'd be interested in this question as well since I have Tung-Sol 2C51s with an adapter in my Valhalla 2 (which uses 6922s) and also have a couple of cheap but pretty decent GE 5670s (same tube type). Since I haven't seen any discussion of this, I've just assumed the answer was no. (Though as a practical matter, I think it would be a real PITA to get the adapter seated in the CTH. It wasn't that easy, at least for non-dexterous me, to get it into the Valhalla 2 properly and the single small opening in the CTH looks even more difficult.)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #795 of 1,441
I'd be interested in this question as well since I have Tung-Sol 2C51s with an adapter in my Valhalla 2 (which uses 6922s) and also have a couple of cheap but pretty decent GE 5670s (same tube type). Since I haven't seen any discussion of this, I've just assumed the answer was no. (Though as a practical matter, I think it would be a real PITA to get the adapter seated in the CTH. It wasn't that easy, at least for non-dexterous me, to get it into the Valhalla 2 properly and the single small opening in the CTH looks even more difficult.)
Earlier in this thread (quite a bit) runeight (Alex Cavalli) gave some pretty specific cautionary examples of tube swapping. It may not be a case of "blowing up" the CTH, but perhaps a voltage mismatch at the heater (or other plates) may introduce extreme distortion or drop volume or other problems. I recommend you find that post. It is very good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back