Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Apr 19, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #556 of 1,442
I have about 5 days worth of break-in on the unit. So far, with the stock EH 6922s, nice but boring. Yesterday I put in an Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 and the darned thing finally came to life. Now it has a soul and makes music, with both HD580 Jubilees and a Hifiman HE400i.

Wonder what it will do with a Siemens CCA???

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #557 of 1,442
I have about 5 days worth of break-in on the unit. So far, with the stock JJ6922, nice but boring. Yesterday I put in an Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 and the darned thing finally came to life. Now it has a soul and makes music, with both HD580 Jubilees and a Hifiman HE400i.

Wonder what it will do with a Siemens CCA???

Boring as in neutral?

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #560 of 1,442
Has anyone tried the CTH with low impedance (16 ohm or less) headphones? Do they go well together? I would use it mostly with my HD650 but I ordered a Sennheiser Urbanite, mainly for portable use and hiphop, so I would occasionally like to use them with the CTH.

Boring as lifeless, dead. I didn't care whether I listened to it or not. It was sound, not music. I would never consider this as neutral. It was as if I had connected a cheap, badly designed interconnect that muted the dynamics.

Perhaps the stock tube needs more burn-in? Some people have mentioned it will need 100-200 hours.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #561 of 1,442
Has anyone tried the CTH with low impedance (16 ohm or less) headphones? Do they go well together? I would use it mostly with my HD650 but I ordered a Sennheiser Urbanite, mainly for portable use and hiphop, so I would occasionally like to use them with the CTH.

Perhaps the stock tube needs more burn-in? Some people have mentioned it will need 100-200 hours.

No, I do not believe it needs that much. I have a pair that I have used on a pair of hybrid monoblocks that take 6922s as input drivers. They work much better in that amp than they do in the Cavalli, but not as good as some other NOS tubes. I put about 50+ hours on the JJ 6922 that came with the unit before I tried this Bugle Boy, which I've had for years.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #563 of 1,442

Just out of experience with Russian tubes, most, if not all need around 100 hours of burn in (some even more) to get them to settle. From the 6N23Ps to the 6n3ps it takes a bit of time and will vary obviously per tube. Once a good Russian tube settles in it sounds fantastic like the EH 6922s.

They picked out a great tube that synergizes really well with the HD650s/HD6XX.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #564 of 1,442

I was using some Havi B3 pro's with the MCTH the other day, sounded good but they are 32ohm, was a bit of noise floor. I'll grab my wife's momentum's (over-ear) and give 'em a try. Let ya know how it goes!

Back: Sounds fantastic, haven't listened to the Momentum in a long while, the dynamics of this amp is simple eye-popping. The momentum's just sung!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #565 of 1,442
I have about 5 days worth of break-in on the unit. So far, with the stock JJ6922,

Hey jeffrt,
Did you get a JJ tube with your amp?
Should have been an Electro Harmonix from Russia in a black and white box...

We sent out JJ tubes when we tested amp prototypes in the field and the feedback on the JJ tubes was that the EH sounded better.

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #566 of 1,442
While waiting for the S11 reg to arrive, I hitched up my lab supply instead of the provided 'wall-wart' supply and the difference is enormous, very surprising indeed - just better all round for me - not quite so rounded and soft - bigger, slightly brighter sound altogether and the biggest surprise is how more transparent it seems - it'll be interesting with a 'proper' linear supply.

Incidently, it's drawing a total 370mA @ 28.0v - amp has now done about 6 weeks continuously (1,000hrs). Maybe time to try a few different tubes, more out of curiosity.

Who would have thought the power supply could have this amount of influence on the sound,

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #567 of 1,442
Hey jeffrt,
Did you get a JJ tube with your amp?
Should have been an Electro Harmonix from Russia in a black and white box...

We sent out JJ tubes when we tested amp prototypes in the field and the feedback on the JJ tubes was that the EH sounded better.

Yes, Sorry, my mistake. Those new Russian tubes sort of blend together in my mind, except for the Tung-Sols. I did get an EH tube and have had a pair for my monoblocks that sounded fine.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #568 of 1,442

I tried a pair of IEMs (16 ohm,108 dB sensitivity) on a CTH+SDAC and they sounded great. However, there was barely enough movement in the volume pot for accurate volume control before the sound got too loud so I wouldn’t recommend the CTH with highly sensitive phones/IEMs. Noise floor is excellent (almost silent at full volume - so if you’re hearing noise, it’s probably your dac/source).

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #570 of 1,442
Yes, Sorry, my mistake. Those new Russian tubes sort of blend together in my mind, except for the Tung-Sols. I did get an EH tube and have had a pair for my monoblocks that sounded fine.

Ah, great...no worries! Just making sure you got the right tube. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back