Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Apr 21, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #571 of 1,442
My opinion is that this is an excellent amp for $250, and pairs well with the HD 650/6XX in part because they share a similar approach to smooth and non-fatiguing yet well articulated and musical treble.
I see you have a pair of Beyer DT990, how do they sound with the MCTH vs the HD6XXX ? I ask because I have a pair of Beyer Amiron Home that has such fantastic synergy with MCTH that I will be using the two together from now on. I find the Amiron and the MCTH just gels so well together and more so than the MCTH & HD6XXX.
What is your findings ?

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #572 of 1,442
I see you have a pair of Beyer DT990, how do they sound with the MCTH vs the HD6XXX ? I ask because I have a pair of Beyer Amiron Home that has such fantastic synergy with MCTH that I will be using the two together from now on. I find the Amiron and the MCTH just gels so well together and more so than the MCTH & HD6XXX.
What is your findings ?

Sadly, I sold my DT990's a few years ago. They were great phones and I miss them. If I ever got a shot at pairing them up with this amp, I'll letcha know!

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #573 of 1,442
My CTH is already in Germany after 4 days so I should be getting it earlier than I anticipated!

One thing I'm a little worried about is that the HD650 sounds only slightly too thin on my Fiio A5 with jazz. Bass is great but lower octaves on piano (left hand chords) can sound a bit subdued. Bass boost on (+5dB) is too much and doesn't do much for those lower piano octaves. I wonder how the CTH will compare.

In case I want a slightly warmer tube: which ones are recommended non-used for less than $50?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #574 of 1,442
Hey jeffrt,
Did you get a JJ tube with your amp?
Should have been an Electro Harmonix from Russia in a black and white box...

We sent out JJ tubes when we tested amp prototypes in the field and the feedback on the JJ tubes was that the EH sounded better.
Hi CEE TEE just got my MCTH Can I break it in with my Fostex TXO massdrops plugged in? They need some burn in time too so I thought 2 birds one stone?
IMG_20180420_143516.jpg

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #575 of 1,442
My CTH is already in Germany after 4 days so I should be getting it earlier than I anticipated!

One thing I'm a little worried about is that the HD650 sounds only slightly too thin on my Fiio A5 with jazz. Bass is great but lower octaves on piano (left hand chords) can sound a bit subdued. Bass boost on (+5dB) is too much and doesn't do much for those lower piano octaves. I wonder how the CTH will compare.

In case I want a slightly warmer tube: which ones are recommended non-used for less than $50?

I can honestly say I have never heard anyone say that the HD650s were "too thin". If they didn't love them, they said they were on the warmer and woollier side of neutral. I have no idea what the Fiio A5 is, but have you heard them with any other headphone amp? If so, did they sound thin with that one too?

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #576 of 1,442
Hi CEE TEE just got my MCTH Can I break it in with my Fostex TXO massdrops plugged in? They need some burn in time too so I thought 2 birds one stone?
I am not @CEE TEE :wink: but I can tell you: sure! No reason to burn-in the amp with nothing connected to it.
I have done exactly that! (with a different headphone that needed burn-in)

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #577 of 1,442
I can honestly say I have never heard anyone say that the HD650s were "too thin". If they didn't love them, they said they were on the warmer and woollier side of neutral. I have no idea what the Fiio A5 is, but have you heard them with any other headphone amp? If so, did they sound thin with that one too?

I think it's because I'm used to listening on moderate volume. It sounds better when I turn the volume up.

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #578 of 1,442
I am not @CEE TEE :wink: but I can tell you: sure! No reason to burn-in the amp with nothing connected to it.
I have done exactly that! (with a different headphone that needed burn-in)

Not sure about your Cavalli, but the instructions I got with mine say,
"If you do employ break-in, we recommend about 100 hours playing in continuous music mode WITH NO HEADPHONES and the volume set to about 10 o'clock. ..After break-in period, the amp should only need 10 minutes to stabilize operation. After about 100 hours. it is not recommended to keep the amplifier on constantly. "
Of course, if you have new headphones that need to be broken in, why not just attach them and leave your music player on repeat.

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #580 of 1,442
Not sure about your Cavalli, but the instructions I got with mine say,
"If you do employ break-in, we recommend about 100 hours playing in continuous music mode WITH NO HEADPHONES and the volume set to about 10 o'clock. ..After break-in period, the amp should only need 10 minutes to stabilize operation. After about 100 hours. it is not recommended to keep the amplifier on constantly. "
Of course, if you have new headphones that need to be broken in, why not just attach them and leave your music player on repeat.
Thanks I read that too!

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #581 of 1,442
If the follow the instructions it will burn in quicker cause of the higher 10 o'clock volume will burn the inpurities in the tube faster. You could do either but the Headphone connected techically should be slower. I did both. I also did a hour at 2 o'clock with no headphone. 16 hours at 10 oclock. And few nights with headphone connected. I would recommend at least a few hours at higher operational output closer to 10 to 12 with no headphone and with music playing.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #582 of 1,442
If the follow the instructions it will burn in quicker cause of the higher 10 o'clock volume will burn the inpurities in the tube faster. You could do either but the Headphone connected techically should be slower. I did both. I also did a hour at 2 o'clock with no headphone. 16 hours at 10 oclock. And few nights with headphone connected. I would recommend at least a few hours at higher operational output closer to 10 to 12 with no headphone and with music playing.
That sounds like some really good advice BTW did the sound change anything significantly after your burn in?

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #583 of 1,442

Interesting experiment. Thank you.

Currently doing a "burn" of both amp and phones and new cable, all at the same time. Don't want to put the volume control higher than I can listen to safely, for fear of harming the headphone drivers. I prefer to let it go longer at safe levels, rather than suffer potential harm for the sake of lessened times.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #584 of 1,442
That sounds like some really good advice BTW did the sound change anything significantly after your burn in?

I have the amp for about 10 days now and have 100-125 hours on it. While I cannot wait to try some more different tubes, I think it is close to the point where there will be either no more change physically (or mechanically with the hardware, if you wish) or in my personal listening attitude/experience. I believe I am at the point where changes will be because of the music player used as input, the interconnect between them or the tube being used.

As I said previously, I find the Amperex 6DJ8 (Bugle Boy) to be superior with the sound I like, to the stock EH 6922. I have yet to test (edited) the difference(s) with some other tubes I have (Siemens CCA, Amperex 6922, Brimar Ecc88, Voskhod Pocket 6N23P)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #585 of 1,442
I have the amp for about 10 days now and have 100-125 hours on it. While I cannot wait to try some more different tubes, I think it is close to the point where there will be either no more change physically (or mechanically with the hardware, if you wish) or in my personal listening attitude/experience. I believe I am at the point where changes will be because of the music player used as input, the interconnect between them or the tube being used.

As I said previously, I find the Amperex 6DJ8 (Bugle Boy) to be superior with the sound I like, to the stock EH 6922. I have yet to see/hear the difference(s) with some other tubes I have (Siemens CCA, Amperex 6922, Brimar Ecc88, Voskhod Pocket 6N23P)
Great input & feedback thanks!! I'll try eBay to try some tube rolling myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back