Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #601 of 1,442
Perhaps Alex, you could design a better power supply (or a non-switch-mode unit) for this amp that Massdrop could issue as an aftermarket addition for the different world's mains power voltages- the 'wall-wart' unit that comes with the amp does work okay, sure, but a better supply brings out a far better performance that far exceeds the humble price, even with the issued AH 6922 tube

Congratulations on another very successful headamp design
Great idea. And I am not just saying that because I had the same exact idea myself :wink:
In fact, I have already suggested to @CEE TEE to come up with exactly such linear power supply (LPS) unit, hopefully in the same form factor as the LCX / CTH, so we could stack them together!!! :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #603 of 1,442
Great idea. And I am not just saying that because I had the same exact idea myself :wink:
In fact, I have already suggested to @CEE TEE to come up with exactly such linear power supply (LPS) unit, hopefully in the same form factor as the LCX / CTH, so we could stack them together!!! :)

I guess I'd better have a chat with CEE TEE. :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #604 of 1,442
Thanks Zachik, it looks we're still 'on our own' with improving the power supply - I'm currently using a lab supply with an electro cap on the output but have a Sigma11 reg supply in the works, rather than another TeddyRegs - still playing around with different electros as they directly affect the sound - changed-up to the 'rocket' 6H23 tube for a far more open detailed sound

Curiously, I wasn't totally happy with the LM317 or the lt3045, etc chip supply for the Passlabs HP-1 power supply, even with an added Cap multiplier filter, so got a couple of the TeddyRegs for it, then ended up with a Sigma 22 supply (a Ki Tan design from AMB Laboratories) and quite impressed with this change in the sound - so far, I've not had a great success with switchmode supplies but hopefully, this will change in the future

All the best with the CeeTee power supply design project, especially if you can find a matching case size - please, let me know if it goes ahead - ... James

Hi, thanks for your reply Alex - yes, quite the surprise in the improvement in the quality with your design - I haven't got around to opening up the Liquid Carbon here but perhaps this could also benefit from a look at the supply too?

If possible, is there a better power connector than that awful 2.1mm plug - maybe something like the plug that's common to the high-performance Li-Ion batteries used by the 'toy' electric cars or something similar

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #605 of 1,442

CEE_TEE, runeight

A LPS that can power 2 components would be optimal.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #606 of 1,442
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #607 of 1,442
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #608 of 1,442
Since you have both amplifiers, I would be very curious to hear your impressions!
Never really A/B them, and won't have time to do so until the weekend. Sorry.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #610 of 1,442
@joeike - The T50rp's sounds nice with this amp, I prefer a solid-state amp for more control over the T50's but the added warmth through the mid range and solid low's with those easy high's just makes musica!

Mind you I had to mod my T-X0's as I couldn't handle the original tuning any longer, too dark but not in a fun way. Do the mods if you feel the same way, T50's can sing when modded!

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #611 of 1,442
Just FYI for everyone. The CTH is a hybrid tube/SS amp. This means that while the input stage is tube, the output stage is a unity gain solid state buffer, which is what is actually controlling the headphones.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #612 of 1,442
@joeike - The T50rp's sounds nice with this amp, I prefer a solid-state amp for more control over the T50's but the added warmth through the mid range and solid low's with those easy high's just makes musica!

Mind you I had to mod my T-X0's as I couldn't handle the original tuning any longer, too dark but not in a fun way. Do the mods if you feel the same way, T50's can sing when modded!
I know what you mean about the txos hoping the brake in sound will change a little bit but I did change the pads to an angled leather and the cord to a Zmoda seemed to help some but curious to know what mods you did to yours thanks.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #613 of 1,442
I'd recommend opening up the cups and taping up 3/4 of the port/vent at the back of the cup which will increase the low's a little and place a few cotton balls (tease them out a bit) inside the cup. Close em back up and have a listen, you should get more mid range presence as well as more high's (probably more than you're use too but it's a start!). The angled pads should give you a slight increase in image and perhaps sound stage. I just stuck to the stock cable as I don't mind it. My next mods will be to dampen the baffle and tweak the bass more and control the high's, I want sparkle without the searing heat. I honestly don't think they will change much after burn-in as I've put up with them for months, I was so dismayed with them that I was about to put them up for sale but I've modded these before and they respond so well to mods so I kept them and bit the bullet and opened them up. Glad I did because these puppies can sing!

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #614 of 1,442
I'd recommend opening up the cups and taping up 3/4 of the port/vent at the back of the cup which will increase the low's a little and place a few cotton balls (tease them out a bit) inside the cup. Close em back up and have a listen, you should get more mid range presence as well as more high's (probably more than you're use too but it's a start!). The angled pads should give you a slight increase in image and perhaps sound stage. I just stuck to the stock cable as I don't mind it. My next mods will be to dampen the baffle and tweak the bass more and control the high's, I want sparkle without the searing heat. I honestly don't think they will change much after burn-in as I've put up with them for months, I was so dismayed with them that I was about to put them up for sale but I've modded these before and they respond so well to mods so I kept them and bit the bullet and opened them up. Glad I did because these puppies can sing!
Thanks for the great advice and quick reply I'm going to give that a try I'm not shy of modding stuff . kind of new to the headphone modding thanks again Rock on.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #615 of 1,442
@joeike - Rock on dude, send us a PM if you get stuck or got any questions but there's plenty of info over in the T50 mod thread. Good luck!

@runeight - Thanks Runeight, she's a beauty of an amp. Really lovin' the lively sound and authority this thing puts out! What's your thoughts on tube rolling with the MCTH, keep stock EH and call it a day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back