Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Dec 11, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #513 of 564
I just tried this switching between my RME ADI-2 and Airist. The Airist definitely was choppier (like the up down of a car engine with a healthy cam or the helicopter sound when the back windows are down) listening to lower frequencies. I like using it, it was disappointing that the Airist R-2R could not have been implemented better.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #514 of 564
I just tried this switching between my RME ADI-2 and Airist. The Airist definitely was choppier (like the up down of a car engine with a healthy cam or the helicopter sound when the back windows are down) listening to lower frequencies. I like using it, it was disappointing that the Airist R-2R could not have been implemented better.
I'm confused. You like it; you don't?

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #515 of 564
I'm confused. You like it; you don't?

I like it, I have used it on many different amplifiers, sounds good to my ears. Just wish it had been implemented better, poor measurements do not mean it will sound bad, just means the designer/manufacturer did a piss poor job and this is what they get paid to do!!

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #516 of 564
I like it, I have used it on many different amplifiers, sounds good to my ears. Just wish it had been implemented better, poor measurements do not mean it will sound bad, just means the designer/manufacturer did a piss poor job and this is what they get paid to do!!
I haven't heard the Airist, though I am seriously considering buying one when it comes back into stock on Drop (it's not available ATM). But frankly, the fact that it does not measure well on Amir's little graphs for ASR cultists means nothing to me except that it does not measure well on Amir's little graphs. It may be good or it may actually be bad but I care absolutely nothing for Amir's "opinion." (I put opinion in scare quotes because it is not really an opinion, just as his "reviews" are not really reviews, but just a presentation of testing results.) The next time I want to critically listen to a test tone, I may give ASR a look.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #517 of 564
This is how I see it. ASR measurements tell us if the designer/Implementer/Manufacturer did a good job creating a product, that's it. Some good measuring items sound good, some don't, some bad measuring items sound good, some don't. I like the way the Airist sounds, is it perfect NO.

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #518 of 564
That is a pretty good way to describe the noise. I still like the way it sounds, I was just checking if it was normal. I did not buy it expecting a 'clean' sound, but this is quite a bit into the audible realm. If anyone else could compare using a low bass frequency tone, it would seal the book for me. I suppose you get what you pay for when you find an R-2R at $300 :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #519 of 564
That is a pretty good way to describe the noise. I still like the way it sounds, I was just checking if it was normal. I did not buy it expecting a 'clean' sound, but this is quite a bit into the audible realm. If anyone else could compare using a low bass frequency tone, it would seal the book for me. I suppose you get what you pay for when you find an R-2R at $300 :)

I think the biggest thing to remember is music is not a constant tone, what the Airist does is slightly color some of the frequencies during extended note duration, this is typically very brief to maybe a few seconds or more, this coloration obviously appeals to a lot of people given the many positive reviews. For context: I am in my mid 50's, I do not have the hearing I once had but it still tests good and I enjoy the Airist DAC. YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #520 of 564
I think the biggest thing to remember is music is not a constant tone, what the Airist does is slightly color some of the frequencies during extended note duration, this is typically very brief to maybe a few seconds or more, this coloration obviously appeals to a lot of people given the many positive reviews. For context: I am in my mid 50's, I do not have the hearing I once had but it still tests good and I enjoy the Airist DAC. YMMV.
You are right, but the flabby sound in the bass was noticeable in a few tracks I was listening to (which led me to test the tone).

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #521 of 564
From what little I know, some distortion is actually euphonic and makes the music sound better to my ears (and many others). Of course to sites like ASR, they automatically claim all distortion as bad so I find their judgments to largely be useless to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back