Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 10, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #301 of 564
Received my long anticipated Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC today, and was ready to do some serious listening. The instructions are quite minimal; plug in the cables and power and should be good to go. Unfortunately my music server is still a Window XP based machine, and more and more drivers are not supported, so I was ready for this to be the case, it did not disappoint I then used a newer Windows 7 machine which has always worked with my newer audio devices, again NO GO.

USB Audio 2.0
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, and tried another USB cable without success. The Windows troubleshooter could not find a better driver.

Finally I brought in my Windows 10 laptop, and the driver installed fine, and I was finally able to listen to a few tunes and was pleasantly surprised, but have not done any serious listening as most of my devices are by my desktop machines.

Has anyone found a workaround for the driver issue on older OS Machines?

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the RED indicator light go to WHITE when a digital music signal was present on the Windows 10 machine. Seeing the RED indicator initially on my first tries had made me think I had a bad device.

Jun 10, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #302 of 564
I'm curious how the USB input will fare with macOS. I'd love to think Audirvana would pick it right up, but hearing how picky it seems to be with drivers/compatibility I'm not exactly optimistic. macOS doesn't automatically find and install drivers like Windows does as its generics are usually enough for most USB interfaces.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #303 of 564
The original unit I reviewed, which was final apart from the switch to the full-size USB port, was immediately recognized by macOS and worked without issue via Audirvana+. No special steps required, just choose it as the output device.

Whether the new 3.5.x revamp of Audirvana plays well with it I haven't tested (my unit from the drop won't be here until later in the week). If it doesn't it's probably due to the large number of current issues with the latest version of Audirvana. One example being that 3.5.x has issues in integer mode with a number of DACs that work fine with the pre-revamp version in integer mode and also work fine in other players using integer mode (e.g. Roon).

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #306 of 564
The original unit I reviewed, which was final apart from the switch to the full-size USB port, was immediately recognized by macOS and worked without issue via Audirvana+. No special steps required, just choose it as the output device.

Whether the new 3.5.x revamp of Audirvana plays well with it I haven't tested (my unit from the drop won't be here until later in the week). If it doesn't it's probably due to the large number of current issues with the latest version of Audirvana. One example being that 3.5.x has issues in integer mode with a number of DACs that work fine with the pre-revamp version in integer mode and also work fine in other players using integer mode (e.g. Roon).
Relieved to hear that. Glad macOS plays nicely with the RDAC over USB.

Wait, so did they change the micro-USB port pictured to another type on the final product?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #307 of 564
That’d be much appreciated. Also interested in hearing any initial impressions worth sharing.

Well, my delivery date has been pushed back two days, so I'll get back to you by the end of the week with impressions and OS X details.

MassDrop (or Drop) using SmartPost is almost enough to make me never order anything from them again. :angry:

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #308 of 564
Well, my delivery date has been pushed back two days, so I'll get back to you by the end of the week with impressions and OS X details.

MassDrop (or Drop) using SmartPost is almost enough to make me never order anything from them again. :angry:
I agree SmartPost is rediculous — waiting for my THX was hard enough as it was. I know they’re providing it free but Drop really should spend a bit more for a faster, less convoluted shipping service for products this expensive.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #309 of 564
For my mechanical keyboard they are using Fedex.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #311 of 564
Agree Smart Post is a Fedex option and I believe UPS has a similar option that hands off the last few miles to doorstep to USPS. Here In FL it has not been a problem USPS is very fast and reliable w/tracking and notifications just like the others, so not a problem in my book.

Meanwhile has anyone had luck getting a driver to work with the Airist DAC on Windows XP or 7?

Airist web site allows one to ask questions, but always shows a message delivery failure, and asks to try again later. Note a well maintained web site I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #312 of 564
Agree Smart Post is a Fedex option and I believe UPS has a similar option that hands off the last few miles to doorstep to USPS. Here In FL it has not been a problem USPS is very fast and reliable w/tracking and notifications just like the others, so not a problem in my book.

Meanwhile has anyone had luck getting a driver to work with the Airist DAC on Windows XP or 7?

Airist web site allows one to ask questions, but always shows a message delivery failure, and asks to try again later. Note a well maintained web site I'm afraid.
Airist should really have provided a driver at launch and the fact that they haven't yet done so is concerning. Their excuse for a website adds insult to injury. Massdrop support is pointing people with issues to Airist without providing a way to get in touch with them.

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #313 of 564
Wait, so did they change the micro-USB port pictured to another type on the final product?

Yes the current production unit I received has the larger USB type B port in place of the micro USB seen in the DROP pictures. A good move IMO.

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #314 of 564
mine was shipped smart post and it arrived today it is perfect cosmetically i have not had a chance to plug it in though since im swamped today but it looks great. the decision to change the usb port was made early on when the community made it very clear no one wanted a micro usb port.

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #315 of 564
Yes the current production unit I received has the larger USB type B port in place of the micro USB seen in the DROP pictures. A good move IMO.
I had no idea. Really glad they opted for that instead — type B has always been preferred. Thanks for the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back