Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 13, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #333 of 564
There will almost certainly be another drop sometime in the future. The issue they cited for the initial delay was apparently “cosmetic,” though I have my doubts since it took them nearly 6 months to rectify.

Regardless, the question in my mind isn’t if, but when. There were a number of orders cancelled for the RDAC in the months before it finally started shipping last week, but I’m not certain of how many. The description quotes a first drop limit of 300 and the page currently lists 289 final orders adjusted for cancellations (I’ve seen it decrease), so that would leave just 11 unsold units from the first batch if the limit was reached and upheld.

Whether or not Massdrop will relaunch the drop just for this small amount of unsold stock remains to be seen. If so I would expect it in the next few weeks. Apparently it’s occurred before with other drops but I’ve not personally witnessed it.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #334 of 564
P.S. Schiit isn't actually manufacturing any R-2R dacs - they are true multibit dacs, but with a different kind of resistor string architecture.

As far as I'm aware, Schitt isn't using any resistor string DACs in their products but I may well be out of date. All the DAC chips they use have at least part of the DAC made up from R-2R segments. So perhaps it would be better to say that 'Schitt isn't actually manufacturing any purely R-2R DACs'.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #335 of 564
As far as I'm aware, Schitt isn't using any resistor string DACs in their products but I may well be out of date. All the DAC chips they use have at least part of the DAC made up from R-2R segments. So perhaps it would be better to say that 'Schitt isn't actually manufacturing any purely R-2R DACs'.
I’ve always been curious as to the following behind Schiit’s products. I first owned a Magni and Modi and enjoyed them for what they were, but since upgrading and learning of how poorly their products measure relative to others they compete with, the only reason I would ever reinvest would be to hear their multibit DAC’s.

Of course, an objective presentation isn’t always the priority as plenty enjoy the coloration of sound from their components (ie. Joutenheim) but unless it were an R-2R DAC or a tube amp, I generally prefer objectivity from my hardware.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #336 of 564
I’ve always been curious as to the following behind Schiit’s products. I first owned a Magni and Modi and enjoyed them for what they were, but since upgrading and learning of how poorly their products measure relative to others they compete with, the only reason I would ever reinvest would be to hear their multibit DAC’s.

Of course, an objective presentation isn’t always the priority as plenty enjoy the coloration of sound from their components (ie. Joutenheim) but unless it were an R-2R DAC or a tube amp, I generally prefer objectivity from my hardware.
Well I’m not sure about measurements but I own Gumby A2 and I sold excellent measuring Chord Qutest after comparing with it. I find the denser tonality and soundstage of Gumby exactly to my preference.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #337 of 564

I honestly find it weird the AD/Cruz multibit chips are not even intended for musical reproduction purposes. Even if the resulting sound can sound good to some there's bound to be glitches at certain dBFS, they're literally not intended nor designed for general purpose.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #338 of 564
I honestly find it weird the AD/Cruz multibit chips are not even intended for musical reproduction purposes. Even if the resulting sound can sound good to some there's bound to be glitches at certain dBFS, they're literally not intended nor designed for general purpose.

Well, if you look at the measurements of both Yggdrasils, the older and newer one, you'll find that a sine wave of 1kHz @ -90dBFS produces spurious tones at levels of -120dBFS and -140dBFS respectively. The glitch cannot be seen on the newer Yggdrasil's sine wave at all, so somehow it has been fixed.

I seriously doubt anybody can hear these kind of glitches, even if they were still there...

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #340 of 564
The glitch cannot be seen on the newer Yggdrasil's sine wave at all, so somehow it has been fixed.

As far as I recall it wasn't so much fixed as moved. Meaning its still there but no longer shows up at such a low level.

I seriously doubt anybody can hear these kind of glitches, even if they were still there...

Well, quite. A storm in a tea-cup.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #341 of 564
My Airist R-2R DAC arrived on Thursday and I spent some time comparing it to my existing Schiit Bifrost Multibit this weekend. I used the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp with the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed headphones for my listening. The first impressions on Saturday after having the Airist plugged in for a few hours was not that good - the bass and midrange were good but to my ears it sounded a bit bright with a rough treble. So I left it on overnight and tried again on Sunday and the result was much better. The bass is still deep and juicy, the midrange is open and natural and the treble is now much better - quite smooth and pleasant to my ears, and I'm very treble-sensitive. I think the Airist has a tiny bit more energy in the treble, and I think the midrange on the Bifrost is a tiny bit more open, which makes it easier to understand the lyrics in various tracks, but the difference is small. I don't think I would be able to tell the DACs apart in a blind test. However, after quite a bit of listening I prefer the midrange and treble on the Bifrost, so the Airist will be going up on eBay shortly. The surprise to me is that the DACs sound much more alike than I was expecting, so I really only need to keep one of them. YMMV, as always.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #342 of 564
My Airist R-2R DAC arrived on Thursday and I spent some time comparing it to my existing Schiit Bifrost Multibit this weekend. I used the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp with the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed headphones for my listening. The first impressions on Saturday after having the Airist plugged in for a few hours was not that good - the bass and midrange were good but to my ears it sounded a bit bright with a rough treble. So I left it on overnight and tried again on Sunday and the result was much better. The bass is still deep and juicy, the midrange is open and natural and the treble is now much better - quite smooth and pleasant to my ears, and I'm very treble-sensitive. I think the Airist has a tiny bit more energy in the treble, and I think the midrange on the Bifrost is a tiny bit more open, which makes it easier to understand the lyrics in various tracks, but the difference is small. I don't think I would be able to tell the DACs apart in a blind test. However, after quite a bit of listening I prefer the midrange and treble on the Bifrost, so the Airist will be going up on eBay shortly. The surprise to me is that the DACs sound much more alike than I was expecting, so I really only need to keep one of them. YMMV, as always.
Was lucky enough to purchase your unit from you on eBay and I'm very much looking forward to hearing it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #344 of 564
Nice! Please report back :D
Will do! I’ve never heard an R-2R before so I’m excitied to hear the difference. I main a SU-8 so I’ll aim to compare it against that through my 789.

My ears are also treble sensitive, and I already consider the SU-8 to be slightly bright relative to my friend’s DX7s, so I’m interested to hear the dynamics of the RDAC.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #345 of 564

Happy to buy from you directly at your cost price + post if you're happy to send to Australia :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back