Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #76 of 564
So is it airist or massdrop to blame here? imo if airist is the one who designed and sold the design to massdrop then i would think this would fall on them first, massdrop second. i wonder if now due to the dec ship date they will alter the unit somehow to prevent the issues and people may not get the unit as shown also???

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #77 of 564
So is it airist or massdrop to blame here? imo if airist is the one who designed and sold the design to massdrop then i would think this would fall on them first, massdrop second. i wonder if now due to the dec ship date they will alter the unit somehow to prevent the issues and people may not get the unit as shown also???

The fact is that they dont have ability to further increase the product while I can. It is not so hard for original designer to import his design. Correct me if I am wrong. Meybe they should thank me because I just shared my developing experience provided they use it.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #78 of 564
I agree, but i meant maybe if they alter it i wonder if it would be worse and people are expecting the unit as shown if u know what i mean, then they tell people it was due to some sort of shortage or delay etc

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #79 of 564
I agree, but i meant maybe if they alter it i wonder if it would be worse and people are expecting the unit as shown if u know what i mean, then they tell people it was due to some sort of shortage or delay etc

Again, if they have the ability to alter that. Anyway, I know what I have done on that. I still hold some other points(at least two at this time) that they dont even noticed. Lets see then.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #80 of 564
It is so surprising and disappointing to see how many users in this thread not giving a damn on the I.P issue.

People are selfish. They could get a good DAC out of it. That is tempting.

But while I'm very curious about this one as well, I'm going to skip it. I can't believe that this much overlap is a coincidence. Shameful.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #81 of 564

But while I'm very curious about this one as well, I'm going to skip it. I can't believe that this much overlap is a coincidence. Shameful.

I am going to skip it too.

Besides, I have just emailed Massdrop and urged them to open an investigation.
Not sure how much it helps though.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #82 of 564
Consumers always have a choice. But in fairness, don't think this is the right 'forum' to be 'judging' and passing 'sentence'. Issues of 'copyright / patent' may be best addressed in court of law.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #83 of 564
While I'm very concerned something sketchy happened, I still don't feel confident enough to jump to any conclusions. Maybe the board's layout just works better than all the other layouts and that's why they did something very similar? Music gear of all types (but esp those of aging or NOS tech) tends to share similar designs, the main reasons being, viable options are limited, it's affordable and sounds great.

That said, I tend to sympathize with the underdog, so I hope no one working on this project was being dishonest...

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #84 of 564
We have a short talk with our lawyer about this today, measure will be taken very soon. Anyway, market and customer will tell the truth. Thank you for your kind remind.
I hope you get what's yours at the end. Absolutely disappointed at MD. I can see how they are desperate to have a decent DAC to make their own MD stack looks nice, with the same chassis design and all. But potentially rewarding an IP theft without diligence is shady business in MD's part.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #85 of 564
So is it airist or massdrop to blame here? imo if airist is the one who designed and sold the design to massdrop then i would think this would fall on them first, massdrop second.
This is speculation on my part, but I would think that Airist is the main culprit here.

Massdrop was probably only interested in commissioning what they thought was Airist's own unique DAC design. While there's nothing wrong with using an already existing design, you have to make sure that the original IP owner(s) are properly compensated before offering it for sale. :confused:

Massdrop has commissioned many unique products, but I don't think they have run into this problem before. I'm sure this will be a serious learning experience for them going forward.

Hopefully a reasonable solution can be found before things start getting ugly.... :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #86 of 564
Consumers always have a choice. But in fairness, don't think this is the right 'forum' to be 'judging' and passing 'sentence'. Issues of 'copyright / patent' may be best addressed in court of law.
judge-dredd-i-am-the-law-gif-2.gif

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #88 of 564
Funny - people DO NOT stop buying Samsung phones, even after court has ruled they violated Apple design copyright. Still, people are banning MD product for unproven allegations.
Guys, there is a huge gap between similarities and being copied. Look in your house - don't all TVs / refrigerators / microwave ovens / dishwashers / kitchen cabinets / etc. looks very similar to any other model?! So it is OK for all of those (and many more), but not cool when someone claims his DAC design from 2 or 3 years ago was allegedly copied?? I honestly do not understand it...

I am going to skip it too.
Besides, I have just emailed Massdrop and urged them to open an investigation.
Not sure how much it helps though.
I am 100% sure Massdrop and Airist are discussing the situation and coming up with an official response. The drop is for 24 more days (I think), and I am sure official comments would become available many days before the drop closes. Give them more time - obviously, they have not planned for that scenario...

Hopefully a reasonable solution can be found before things start getting ugly.... :cold_sweat:
I am sure MD is working on reasonable and fair solution. Would be really cool if they decide to collaborate with the guy from China who claims it's his design on a high-end / balanced DAC for a future drop. Would make this guy happy, Massdrop close the lid on the RDAC controversy, and make the community happy with higher-end balanced DAC design. That's what I call win-win-win :wink:

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #90 of 564
Funny - people DO NOT stop buying Samsung phones, even after court has ruled they violated Apple design copyright
I buy Samsung phones only after they paid whatever the hefty sum they needed to pay to Apple. I might buy the RDAC if Massdrop properly compensate Sosolar for his work which is blatantly 1:1 copied and denied by Airist.
China's known for straight up copying/stealing IP, so when someone does the same to someone in China there's an uproar
So you want to resort to the same behavior, even if you know its wrong? Tells a lot about your character.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back