Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Aug 22, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #423 of 564
Got my RDAC in today, and I'm breaking it in with the 789 and Meze 99 Noir. It's a Drop-Fest, and I gotta say, even at this early stage this is an excellent combo. Sure, the total output level from the single-ended RCAs is a bit quieter, and the noise floor a bit higher than the balanced input on the 789, but the sound quality is pretty much everything I was hoping for. Soundstage, separation, natural timbre, dynamics, coherency, just the right amount of detail... it's pretty much all there for this price point. That said, I'm not listening to this combo with top shelf gear. I don't want to oversell it. I'm just damn impressed. The 789 doesn't really hide flaws, and I'm not hearing any jump out at me. Yet.

Ran the BSG soundtrack from Bear McCreary, Girl From Ipanema, Wings' Band On The Run, Game of Thrones S7 soundtrack, and a bunch more tracks, and they all sound GREAT.

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #424 of 564
Mine wont be here until next Thursday, it was forever ago when I first read about this offering,,,,finaly going to be here.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #425 of 564
Been meaning to upgrade from my old beresford Caiman dac. I can either get Drop x Airist R2R dac (brand new and shipped) for about the same price as a used Metrum Musette before shipping. Opinions? What would you pick between the two and why?
I live in Canada, the Musette is in Canada as well but not local.

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #426 of 564
Been meaning to upgrade from my old beresford Caiman dac. I can either get Drop x Airist R2R dac (brand new and shipped) for about the same price as a used Metrum Musette before shipping. Opinions? What would you pick between the two and why?
I live in Canada, the Musette is in Canada as well but not local.
2 very very different dac's there. the metrum was a bit hot in the upper end and sometimes sounded to edgy for my tastes, where the rdac is a ladder dac and more laid back in comparison. depends what you want

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #427 of 564
2 very very different dac's there. the metrum was a bit hot in the upper end and sometimes sounded to edgy for my tastes, where the rdac is a ladder dac and more laid back in comparison. depends what you want

Actually both of them are ladder lads. Airist RDAC is said to bear resemblance to the more expensive Metrum dacs (not necessarily by performance, but by tonal balance). Quote: "Hard to say because it technically isn't NOS...Maybe the tone of the Amethyst, with more space/air? Resolution maybe a bit behind, though, and maybe not as clean as Amethyst? It's been so long since I've heard any of those NOS DACs on the list. And comparing NOS to OS is weird."

Sorry for not posting direct link, head-fi policy :)

I am myself waiting to receive RDAC next week. I've only read reviews about it beforehand, but I am expecting a competitive product in its price class. I've owned some R-2R dacs before (MSB Signature IV+, Soekris dac1541, Schiit Modi MB & Yggdrasil A2), so I can write some comparisons if someone is interested.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #429 of 564
Actually both of them are ladder lads. Airist RDAC is said to bear resemblance to the more expensive Metrum dacs (not necessarily by performance, but by tonal balance). Quote: "Hard to say because it technically isn't NOS...Maybe the tone of the Amethyst, with more space/air? Resolution maybe a bit behind, though, and maybe not as clean as Amethyst? It's been so long since I've heard any of those NOS DACs on the list. And comparing NOS to OS is weird."

I am myself waiting to receive RDAC next week. I've only read reviews about it beforehand, but I am expecting a competitive product in its price class. I've owned some R-2R dacs before (MSB Signature IV+, Soekris dac1541, Schiit Modi MB & Yggdrasil A2), so I can write some comparisons if someone is interested.

yes they are BUT (at least the metrum i had to test out) did not remind me sound wise of a ladder dac. granted it was a well used one so i can not say if it possiboy had an issue but imo it was more cold and almost a bit brittle compared to the rdac. where the rdac (i own 2) reminds me more of that type of sound. but it has been a while since listening to the metrum i know i was not super impressed with it though when compared to the other dacs i had here at the time.

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #430 of 564
Moved the RDAC to the living room, where it’s hopefully gonna stay. I’m pretty sure this thing is kicking out some nice harmonics, almost tube-like. According to some graphs I’ve seen, the treble might roll off some of the very top end, but it’s replaced with a sweetness that’s very addicting. Really solid match for my living room receiver and speakers.

I put on QOTSA’s Villains, and it’s throwing out an aggressive, complex soundstage effortlessly. OK Computer OKNOTOK is a delight and really shows off what the RDAC is capable of.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #431 of 564

As stated, both DACs are ladders. Which metrum DAC did you last hear?

Have you had the opportunity to listen to any Metrum DACs?

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #432 of 564
Have you had the opportunity to listen to any Metrum DACs?

Unfortunately no - that is one of the reasons I went for the RDAC, to get some clue how they might sound.

BTW, Metrum Musette is said to be a little rougher along the edges than its replacement Amethyst and the more expensive models. So, if you find the RDAC to be to your liking, those are the models from Metrum you should probably be eyeing.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #433 of 564
im picking up my r2r11 on saturday and ill sit down with both. however i can say i AM enjoying the rdac so far. it is an excellent dac and i honestly agree with most of all the thoughts already posted about it. i so far have no issues i can detect and its very very quiet with no "static". this was very much worth the price tag

Sorry for prying, but...how do they compare?

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #434 of 564
I received mine today, two days early,,,,Yaa. I am using it with the THX 789. I am finding this DAC adds warmth that was much needed verses my RME ADI 2 into the 789. I am older and do not have golden ears but the RME is a very clean and clinical DAC for lack of a better term and I was getting fatigued listing to the 789 with it as the source. The Arist R2R is a welcome change, I have been experiencing great lows and highs while adding a warmth that helps the clinical, clear sound of the 789. I am not a believer in break in, burn in or expensive cables but we'll see in a few weeks if the character changes any.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #435 of 564

I really wonder how high this baby can punch. I've read it beats the Amethys, on the other hand, some say it gets beaten by Schiit Mimby. So, more info on comparisons would be truly of great help here! :floatsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back