Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #376 of 564
Does the RDAC make a noise when changing sample rates via COAX? When I connect the R2R-11 to my network blu-ray player via the player's coaxial audio out, the DAC makes a popping sound when I switch from a 16-44.1 audio file to something HD, like a 24-96 FLAC. It's more noticeable when I go from a lower to higher sample rate. Going the other direction, it still pops, but it's not as severe. If this thing is whisper quiet over coaxial, that would clinch it for me.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #377 of 564
Does the RDAC make a noise when changing sample rates via COAX? When I connect the R2R-11 to my network blu-ray player via the player's coaxial audio out, the DAC makes a popping sound when I switch from a 16-44.1 audio file to something HD, like a 24-96 FLAC. It's more noticeable when I go from a lower to higher sample rate. Going the other direction, it still pops, but it's not as severe. If this thing is whisper quiet over coaxial, that would clinch it for me.

Not that I've heard. Not via COAX or USB. Even when switching between different DSD sample rates, or between DSD and PCM formats, which is the bane of many DACs, including MUCH more expensive units, it has not exhibited any of the common noise/clicking/spurious sounds I've heard elsewhere.

Bear in mind I run off macOS, so there maybe other OS/driver-related issues with Windows that I can't speak to.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #378 of 564
There is no pop. I played various sample rate and no pop heard.
Connected thru MBP optical out and Digione signature Coax. No pop thru both. Not sure about Windows and USB

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #379 of 564
I plugged mine today. Since it is R2R DAC I expect change in sound signature in 48 to 72 hrs.
Does any one experience change in signature. I experienced it with my Gumby. It changed for good after 72 hrs.
Not so much with Qutest but for this DAC I feel it will change like Gumby.

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #380 of 564
Not that I've heard. Not via COAX or USB. Even when switching between different DSD sample rates, or between DSD and PCM formats, which is the bane of many DACs, including MUCH more expensive units, it has not exhibited any of the common noise/clicking/spurious sounds I've heard elsewhere.

Bear in mind I run off macOS, so there maybe other OS/driver-related issues with Windows that I can't speak to.

There is no pop. I played various sample rate and no pop heard.
Connected thru MBP optical out and Digione signature Coax. No pop thru both. Not sure about Windows and USB

This is good news! Yeah, I can't account for the blu-ray player's coaxial output quality since I've only been able to connect it to the R2R DAC as of today. When my receiver comes back from the repair shop, I'll have to connect the player to the receiver's onboard coaxial input to see which component is the culprit.

Side note: The only thing I wish the RDAC had is a NOS mode or ran natively in NOS mode only. Then again, I'd also love to see the RDAC come with a built-in LDAC bluetooth receiver. That would make it a unique product in this space, since most BT receivers are terrible.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #381 of 564
Since it is R2R DAC I expect change in sound signature in 48 to 72 hrs.
Honestly, I could not hear much of a difference after 1-2 hours... could be just me and my non-golden ears, though!

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #383 of 564
Is there any information as to when the most recent revision happened to the Bimbys?

There is no official recognition of any revision to Bifrost MB.

All I can tell you is that the Bifrost MB I had on loan in October 2018 sounds different to (and better than) the original one I had (from the first week when the original multi-bit version was available).

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #384 of 564
There is no official recognition of any revision to Bifrost MB.

All I can tell you is that the Bifrost MB I had on loan in October 2018 sounds different to (and better than) the original one I had (from the first week when the original multi-bit version was available).

It seems like V2 Modis and Bimbys were in circulation then so I'd guess I'm in the clear V2-wise. Seems sketchy of Schiit to not be more transparent about something as drastic as basically a firmware upgrade.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #385 of 564
It seems like V2 Modis and Bimbys were in circulation then so I'd guess I'm in the clear V2-wise. Seems sketchy of Schiit to not be more transparent about something as drastic as basically a firmware upgrade.

You'd have to talk to them about that.

As far as I know (which is just from what I've read, and my own measurements) the Modi MB "V2" firmware upgrade is not something that should be directly audible. It's a minor bias to move the zero-crossing point. It's not like its new features or an audbile change in sound or functionality. And they will update said firmware for, again, from what I've read, $35 (it's not a USB-flashable device).

But, again, something to talk to Schiit about.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #386 of 564
You'd have to talk to them about that.

As far as I know (which is just from what I've read, and my own measurements) the Modi MB "V2" firmware upgrade is not something that should be directly audible. It's a minor bias to move the zero-crossing point. It's not like its new features or an audbile change in sound or functionality. And they will update said firmware for, again, from what I've read, $35 (it's not a USB-flashable device).

But, again, something to talk to Schiit about.

I've reached out, and their first tack seems to be 'we don't discuss possible unannounced updates to products'. It's a shame if it's true that they make conscientious improvements down the road and don't offer said improvements to customers, if it's a fairly simple update.

She (the Schiit rep) actually sent me a link to the 'Schiit Happens' chapter where Jason talks at length about changes to supply chains, etc. Some of he and Moffat's attitudes towards customers seem straight up... antagonistic. And, I don't know, something rubs me wrong about their being aware of a glitch (which is obviously, very possibly a case of 'We knew it was there!' when they didn't) and releasing a $1,000+ product anyway, and then fixing said glitch, and then almost making a joke out of not telling anyone. You can argue it's stuff that won't be heard anyway, fine, but for a company accepting good money for luxury products they are surprisingly wanton about how they treat the people potentially giving them that money.

I've enjoyed their products, and still do, but this may be the tipping point for me that leads to definitively taking my business elsewhere for when I'm looking to invest even more money into amps and DACs.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #387 of 564
I think you proceed from a false assumption ... namely that I have any interest, whatsoever, in what/if/how/when or with whom you (or anyone else) does business ... much less why. If you don't like their practices, style, products, haircuts or choice in feminine hygiene products then how you deal with that is entirely up to you.

You asked a question; I told you what I knew/had observed. Beyond that, it's between you and Schiit.

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #388 of 564
Finally starting my listening test after dealing with a couple issues. Setup was as smooth as it could; Windows could immediately recognize it via USB in and automatically switched to it, but Qobuz, however, saw the R2R as available but couldn't access it. Fixed it by closing out the app, but I've never had that issue with the SU-8 and it's happened a couple times since. Also, for whatever reason, in Foobar2k, my Owane - Yeah Whatever album in 24/48 would be distorted like crazy in WASAPI (event) mode regardless of what bit rate I set in Windows. Perfectly fine in WASAPI (push) fwiw but this could apply to all 24/48 files. So far it does sound great, but I think the SU-8 sounds lively atm. This is going balanced out into the 789 so I turn the volume down a bit to compensate but from what I'm reading, this is normal and the R2R will open up over time. The A/B might be a little unfair through Foobar2k as I HAVE to output at 24 bits for the R2R instead of 32 bits with the SU-8. Will report back after more listening through Qobuz.

EDIT: I fixed the Qobuz issue so I got a little A/B action in there. Can confirm the SU-8 balanced has more of a sense of space and more prominent highs.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #389 of 564
I think you proceed from a false assumption ... namely that I have any interest, whatsoever, in what/if/how/when or with whom you (or anyone else) does business ... much less why. If you don't like their practices, style, products, haircuts or choice in feminine hygiene products then how you deal with that is entirely up to you.

You asked a question; I told you what I knew/had observed. Beyond that, it's between you and Schiit.

Were this a PM thread your comment would make sense, but I'm laying this information bare for all to whom the information may prove pertinent, as it would have to me while researching the subject. Thanks anyway for your response regarding the Bimby firmware.

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #390 of 564
When you repeatedly quote entire posts it reads like you’re talking/responding to and/or wanting further comment from the person you’re quoting. Thus my point was not that you shouldn’t say anything (I don’t care, either way), just that who or why you buy anything from anyone isn’t my concern. That’s all.

Also, to be clear, and this is purely in the interests of avoiding accidentally seeding rumors, I did not mention Bifrost MB firmware. I was talking about a change to Modi MB’s firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back