Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #3,076 of 6,783
  Ok, so here's the @Lorspeaker ©MikrosHearThruBass mods with a rabbit HOLE size adjustment tweak.

Before:

After:

The hole is just a wee bit smaller. I used the double sided tape and just punched a hole through with the small screwdrivers.

I think this is working very well for me. Still an awesome amount of sub-bass, but just keyed back enough such that I can retain my fillings :)

Question: the top picture is of the left driver. Looking down the rabbit hole, I don't see anything obscuring the hole. Below is my right driver where you can see that the hole is half obstructed. Anyone else notice that?

Nice work!

When I dampened with dynamat, I did notice that the subbass only increased slightly. I feel like this made it gain an uncanny mix of dynamics, musicality and accuracy, for example, when someone hits a snare drum, you hear the snap, and then the proper speed and tone of decay. In comparison, my Grado sr125i (which i still do enjoy) can clearly tell you the snap of a snare drum, but it sometimes sounds like it decays just a little too fast. In the dynamikros, you can hear the snap, and the slight vibration of the reverberation of the snare that gives it the proper sense of speed. I guess its just the smallest details in the recording being revealed to me.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #3,077 of 6,783

When I 1st started posting about the Mikros, I was so sick of hearing that they had no bass, I was hearing great stuff, deep low bass, full of detail and punch, very enjoyable, so I have always felt they excelled at bass reproduction, more accurate than I had heard before, and something like that deserves sharing. And if in the sharing a few "outsider" who haven't been to the " HOLE" and looked beyond" may never accept the trueth and bow to the alter of Martin Logan greatness ! (is that hype ?)

next step in the mod process if my cult manual is right, we need a willing virgin !
I'm not saying for what though. Again, a cult secret, even I don't know. Unfortunately, I have this amazing imagination... Ill get back to you on this

u must unleash your Mikros...
until now, u have been selfish...unto thyself
locked within your struggle a deep calling,
to discover, to feel its power
to sink in..to soar through the HOLE.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3,079 of 6,783
Hey Wayne...give it a good listen n share whats the effect of microsizing the hole.. 
i think the diff softness/absorbency of the leather also affect how hard a whackkk u get in the bass too.
Too soft n it might just diffuse the mids too?  Not sure, i have only managed to find one dead ox skin..
now to look for another for experimentation.

gonna find a whirling turbinefan n glue it to that hole...n see if i get surroundsound...:p
imagination firing away...

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3,080 of 6,783
  For example, this sounds absolutely perfect in every way (Taylor Hawkins is also probably one of the best drummers ever too)

awesome vid....those sound thru the mods are amazing...love it love it...way to go ENDCODE...keep pasting those dynamites!!!

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #3,081 of 6,783
  For example, this sounds absolutely perfect in every way (Taylor Hawkins is also probably one of the best drummers ever too)

Cool - saw the Fighters last year - awesome. And funny that I was listening to them when you posted this :)

Yup, that sounds great to me also. But I'm gonna try out your dynamat mod when I get my hands on some to compare for sure, because with the material I'm using, there is definitely more sub-bass than what you're describing. My leather's probably fake lol. Anyway, I hear that dynamat is the stuff to use for dampening, so I'm wanting to give it a try it for sure.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #3,082 of 6,783

Cool...now listen to this:

This man is a machine. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3,083 of 6,783
I read a lot of comments here on this thread, but not too many comparisons or much in depth impressions...at least as of late. I think they stack up well to the $300 headphones in mids and detail, but the m100 or something of that nature will go much deeper into the subbass. The balance is also off, with that upper mid-to-treble emphasis. The soundstage is about average, perhaps lower then. The tonal quality, timbre, neutrality, and shear detail retrieval are what makes these stand out.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,084 of 6,783

Cool - saw the Fighters last year - awesome. And funny that I was listening to them when you posted this :)

Yup, that sounds great to me also. But I'm gonna try out your dynamat mod when I get my hands on some to compare for sure, because with the material I'm using, there is definitely more sub-bass than what you're describing. My leather's probably fake lol. Anyway, I hear that dynamat is the stuff to use for dampening, so I'm wanting to give it a try it for sure.

I really want to see them live. Like really.
tumblr_lmlwvsAN8s1qj73e2o1_250.gif

Regarding the dynamat, just be prepared for a possibly long and annoying struggle peeling the dynamat off if you like MHTB mod better lol.

Cool...now listen to this:

Lol what a genre changeup, but definetly  very good nonetheless.
The subbass line from the synth in the backrounds come through also on the dynamikros. I wish i could find a good quality video of the solo that Joey Jordison did.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #3,085 of 6,783

Not sure what your setup is, but this is the hifimediy sabre dac that I use off of my laptop:

http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Apparently there is also a Sabre U2 dac, but I'm not familiar with it.

And here's the C&C BH:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-C-BH-Portable-Headphone-AMP-battery-AMP-CC-BH-NEW-/261172737290

The only downside with it is that it only gets a measly 80 hours per charge :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330 running off a motherboard's alc892 realtek audio chipset.

And the mikros themselves

I HAD a fiio e6

Now I lost it :frowning2:

I hate life....

So hate.... it...

HATE IT FOR MAKING ME LOSE MY FIIO!!

Jk, just misplaced it probably.

And thanks for the links, you are being too harsh on the C&C! 
tongue.gif
 I wish my tablet had that problem too!

And nice small hole mod you made, glad it made a difference. What happens if you cut the hole in half? I will do that myself! :D

Not in a small circular form though, like how you did it. ..more like..dividing the circle in half, hopefully creating some effect.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3,086 of 6,783
Darn, I don't really have the power to order directly online as our customs here in my country is almost a scam. I have a friend who does it for me for the shipping to be smooth. My friend unfortunately is not available right now. So I am forced to use another method to order and it costs me 135usd shipped. You guys think it's worth it? Or should I wait for my friend for a few days and risk the chance of them being sold out. :| Thank you for any suggestions/opinions. :\

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #3,087 of 6,783
  Darn, I don't really have the power to order directly online as our customs here in my country is almost a scam. I have a friend who does it for me for the shipping to be smooth. My friend unfortunately is not available right now. So I am forced to use another method to order and it costs me 135usd shipped. You guys think it's worth it? Or should I wait for my friend for a few days and risk the chance of them being sold out. :| Thank you for any suggestions/opinions. :\

How long would you need to wait.  Also, where do you live?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,088 of 6,783

How long would you need to wait.  Also, where do you live?

Philippines. That's the problem, I don't know how long will he (my friend) respond to my email.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,089 of 6,783
Also, do these cans have the speed to handle extreme metal music? But as I've read the bass is tight so fast double bass / blast beats should be fine right?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,090 of 6,783
I read a lot of comments here on this thread, but not too many comparisons or much in depth impressions...at least as of late. I think they stack up well to the $300 headphones in mids and detail, but the m100 or something of that nature will go much deeper into the subbass. The balance is also off, with that upper mid-to-treble emphasis. The soundstage is about average, perhaps lower then. The tonal quality, timbre, neutrality, and shear detail retrieval are what makes these stand out.

Mod your can...n reread your own post... N see if u feel the same.
The drumming driving me NUTS!

============
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1758113737&feature=iv&src_vid=Bb795tWfUBQ&v=upg_dDCtwbE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back