Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jan 5, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #6,106 of 6,783
  The only cable that's been mentioned by pataburd recently is a $100 custom one, and the amazon review (which god forbid was specific!) listed a radioshack cable that works with it. I'll guess I'll blow $20 on that cable and pray.

#DetailsMatter

I have endorsed/owned four cables over the duration of this thread: (the Pipeline ET-4, the Auvio, Teds UPOCC silver and Teds UPOCC copper).

Pipeline was a subsidiary brand name marketed by AudioQuest.

You had earlier mentioned having read all my posts, but I do not see that anymore .  .  .

If you go to the top of page 9, I definitively name the Pipeline ET-4.

If you had read further, you would see posts by PredatorZ* (I believe it was PZ--it's been a long time!) who posted pictures of the modified ET-10.

Later on, PredatorZ and I hosted a giveaway: I bought about a half dozen ET-10s, then PredatorZ modified and shipped them out.

If it was elvergun or vienbo who did the mods, I apologize to either.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #6,107 of 6,783
  Because apparently volume control cables lower the sound quality and therefore a replacement cable improves the quality, people reviewing Mikros have said so multiple times.

Damn - I had to inspect my stock cables closely just now just to even realize that they had volume controls. D'oh!

Regardless, based on my ears (which I don't profess to be perfect, so feel free to dismiss ), I still prefer the stock cables to the others that I personally have tried. And I think that quite a few others have come to the same conclusion.

Having said that, cables do for sure make a difference with the 90's, and there is quite likely better alternatives. So best of luck finding the right ones for you.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #6,110 of 6,783
been a long time since a dozen posts being chalked up here..
and i tot someone successfully transplanted the drivers.
...back to bed.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #6,112 of 6,783
Am listening to bhazard's Mikros 90 stock pair, with Teds UPOCC copper re-cable and the Aural Thrills BCS interconnects.
These interconnects are finally settling down and all I can say is "Wow!" for their match-up with the Mikros 90.  

Am listening to Mancini Rocks the Pops|Henri Mancini conducting the Royal Philharmonic Pops Orchestra|DENON/Nippon Columbia, Japan, 1989.  The Martin Logans, in true fashion, are rising to the occasion and performing at an even higher level.  

I swapped out the K812 for the Mikros 90 last night and have not looked back.  

The new Aural Thrills interconnects really help bring out a larger sense of space, improved separation, transparency and detail, and cleaner/clearer micro-dynamics from the MLs.

Can't wait to introduce these interconnects into my primary rig and swap in Teds UPOCC silver cable!

Here is a link to the information about the interconnects.  I added the Teflon Silver connector upgrade (+$60).
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/interconnects-aural-thrills-audio-battery-powered-bcs-1m-celebrating-10-years-with-audiogon-2014-12-12-cables-75042-garland-tx 

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #6,113 of 6,783
http://www.amazon.com/Laredo-Ear-Metal-Leather-Headphones/dp/B0093LNRYI/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_2_49SR?ie=UTF8&refRID=1APPYXWM52ED60QAH49S

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #6,114 of 6,783
...back to bed.

I have been lurking and reading. Does that count?

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6,115 of 6,783
We'll take anything we can get!!
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #6,116 of 6,783
...back to bed.

I do not support the Frankenstein-itization of the Mikros 90, i.e. separating the drivers from the housing.  
These co-exist as an integral whole, like the human soul as the form of the human body.
I always have, and still do, enjoy and prefer the stock drivers to remain with the stock housing--only rabbit hole removal and interior modding excepted.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #6,117 of 6,783
  I do not support the Frankenstein-itization of the Mikros 90, i.e. separating the drivers from the housing.  
These co-exist as an integral whole, like the human soul as the form of the human body.
I always have, and still do, enjoy and prefer the stock drivers to remain with the stock housing--only rabbit hole removal and interior modding excepted.

You must really love the Mikros 90, to compare it to the divine bond of the soul to the body! :wink:

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #6,118 of 6,783
He is the guardian angel of the mighty Mikros...saint Mikros

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #6,119 of 6,783
A few quick thoughts after swapping back and forth between 3 cables - stock, Auvio and this non-OEM Beats cable (I didn't realize it was non-OEM when I bought it): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJRPD8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stock sounds the best of the three in every respect, but is ergonomically the worst - constant tangles due to the thinness of the cable and the inline mic and controls are frustratingly difficult to operate by feel.

Non-OEM Beats cable (perfect fit in terms of housing diameter) sounds the worst of the three in every respect but is ergonomically the best - thick cable is fairly tangle free, very little cable microphonics and the inline controls are a pleasure to use.

Auvio cable is fairly close in sound to stock but slightly warmer, slightly veiled and slightly less detailed, but is marginally better ergonomically than stock due to the braided cable jacket being less tangle prone.  

On a separate note, I'm playing with the Onkyo ES-FC300 with the Fiios MMCX cable and I'm impressed.  Very open sounding for a closed can, nice highs, detailed and deep articulate bass.  Mids are bit recessed and overall sound is a bit colored compared to the Mikros.  No, they're not as good as the Mikros, but they don't get nearly as much credit or attention they should in the $150-200 price range.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #6,120 of 6,783
I'm sticking with stock cable myself.
 Any of you fellow MIKRONAUTS thought about disassembling them and shaving down the stopper so that the angle is btter for overall fit? It's something I might get to later on. It's the most irritating aspect of these. Should be easy to remedy so long as it doesn't get shaved down too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back