Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 6, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #3,211 of 6,783
Mar 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #3,213 of 6,783
You both have the leather on the bottom as well, correct?

Wall-to-Wall deerskin!  : )

HEY!
Issue resolved.  Must have been burn-in.  Listened to the modded pair last night and noted: these don't sound like they did a few days ago: more open, less congested in the mids and highs.  Right around the "Magic 60+ Hours" mark.  
Fed them tubes.  Wow!  They have opened up nicely!  Deep, wide and pinpoint soundstage.  Great bass.  Mids have smoothed out and bloomed.  Ditto for the treble.  
Lesson learned: do not mod until break-in is through its first critical stages with the Mikros 90.
All-in-all, I am very happy with the MikrosHearThruBass mod, although I may yet try a very minor tweak or two.  Used a halfmoon of 7/8" diameter felt, not a rectangular piece and Tackied/closed the headband tube ports.

Will open up a third pair and look at optimizing the mids.  With the open cell foam only mod--a 1-7/8" diameter, 3/8" thick piece wedged directly beneath the driver, I was getting greater transparency and openness in the midrange, silkier highs and a a bigger sense of space overall.  Bass was a little flabby, though.  Am tempted to work on my well run-in stock pair, but probably won't out of propriety and due to their historical significance.

Another "just one more song" night, up to midnight again. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #3,214 of 6,783
  @ Every Logan Mofo here PM SPAM me with all the important links ya'll have stashed up!!! The OP finally replied to my request to update the 1st post with all the updated links if i gather it. I know you'll stashed up some important links just like ya'll hoarded these Logans meng.
wink.gif
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO WE EATING GUD!!!

SO GO GO GO!!!
popcorn.gif

Lets just say i had a chance to rebuy the X1s for the 3rd tyme when the $150 deal 1st went live but i could not make myself do it. Do i think the Logans are better than them HELLS YEAH, without a doubt. Those X1s i would consider as more FOTM material tbh.

And nah ghostfit wasn't the one with all the ideas for the mods in the S500/ S400 thread. His butt has been MIA for a while here, it was some other guy and it's best not to bring him in here based on his past track records regarding mods and recables tbh.

SF,
Thank you very much for doing this.
Your efforts to make this a better thread are appreciated.

L3000.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #3,215 of 6,783
  Hey, as of right now they still cannot touch the HE500 in anything other than tonality in SOME cases (and maybe in bass quantity, which doesn't mean much, but it isn't as tight at all).

Burn them in for 200+ hours and report back.
By then the HE-500 might have some catching up to do.  : )

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,216 of 6,783
  I don't want it to go. Stop. We will see. I will say that this definitely throws the he500 price/performance out of the water, but it doesn't BEAT it. HE500 definitely wins in transparency, imaging, and refinement of course.

Patience, Grasshopper.
The Mikros 90 will continue to improve and amaze you beyond any prior levels of amazement with their seemingly unlimited reserves for both technicality and musicality.
KEEP US POSTED!!!!

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,218 of 6,783
  Burn them in for 200+ hours and report back.
By then the HE-500 might have some catching up to do.  : )

Better than the HE-500? No. Mine are at the 200 hr point, and I'm still thinking of doing the bass mod.
Good enough that I don't miss the HE-500? Yes. That alone is a lot to ask of a now $50 headphone against a now $600 one. I'm all about price/performance, and these have it in spades.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #3,219 of 6,783
  Better than the HE-500? No. Mine are at the 200 hr point, and I'm still thinking of doing the bass mod.
Good enough that I don't miss the HE-500? Yes. That alone is a lot to ask of a now $50 headphone against a now $600 one. I'm all about price/performance, and these have it in spades.

Great bang for the buck even at $300 IMHO.
Don't really/never did quite understand the popular fascination with the HE-500.  Even the HE-5LE, IMHO, makes short work of them.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,220 of 6,783
Don't really/never did quite understand the popular fascination with the HE-500.  Even the HE-5LE, IMHO, makes short work of them.

It's what it does with live music, it's open back, and vocals. Most of us who have listened to Hifiman sets know what their mid signature is like now, but when they were new 3 years ago, it was very much new and exciting, with not much to compare it to. Now a lot of stuff has caught up to it.

It's a headphone like this that shows that even $1,000+ flagships still have flaws, and that you don't need to spend that much. Much easier to accept minor flaws at $50 compared to $500+

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,221 of 6,783
i just gotten a copper cable  for the he6...sounds fuller than the original silver cable...v appealing with my audiogd amp...6watts in balance mode.
will give it a good listen b4 i decide if its gonna be dead.

==========

listening to my 2nd pair of stockMikros on the Vmoda+Ultasone+stockcable combo ...
( this cable mess combo has a big big big soundstage..full bodied, and clear   post #10315728

if i have not modded my first Mikros, i could live with this 2ndpair forever
"the very tot of you " by Chris Botti and Puala Cole..so so seductive...
the drumming is quite sizeable. ( not viscereal )

if u have the cheap Beats cable.. u can try changing one end into a 3.5mm SOCKET..
and plug the stock cable into it.. u should hear a BEEFier sound than the stock cable.. ( from my experience with the 3cables :p )

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,222 of 6,783
  SF,
Thank you very much for doing this.
Your efforts to make this a better thread are appreciated.

L3000.gif

Stay focused, SF...

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #3,223 of 6,783
  i just gotten a copper cable  for the he6...sounds fuller than the original silver cable...v appealing with my audiogd amp...6watts in balance mode.
will give it a good listen b4 i decide if its gonna be dead.

==========

listening to my 2nd pair of stockMikros on the Vmoda+Ultasone+stockcable combo ...
( this cable mess combo has a big big big soundstage..full bodied, and clear   post #10315728

if i have not modded my first Mikros, i could live with this 2ndpair forever
"the very tot of you " by Chris Botti and Puala Cole..so so seductive...
the drumming is quite sizeable. ( not viscereal )

if u have the cheap Beats cable.. u can try changing one end into a 3.5mm SOCKET..
and plug the stock cable into it.. u should hear a BEEFier sound than the stock cable.. ( from my experience with the 3cables :p )

Lors,
I am awaiting a new UPOCC copper cable to complement the UPOCC silver cable that Ted made for the Mikros 90.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,224 of 6,783

If a well tuned modded pair, should punch all the way up to 600bucks...the price i paid for my D7k... and at times up to a T1 which cost more i remember. 
Maybe the stock Mikros could kill the Ed8 quite easily...from my recollection.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3,225 of 6,783
  Lors,
I am awaiting a new UPOCC copper cable to complement the UPOCC silver cable that Ted made for the Mikros 90.
smile_phones.gif

can u have an adaptor where both sides are sockets...and u link the copper to the silver...and blow your brains off????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back