Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3,241 of 6,783
  Anyone in search of the Auvio 6-foot cable, I will sell you mine at cost. I tried it out today, but it seems to really increase the harshness of the highs. I spent all of 10 minutes at Radio Shack and $3 at the register, so worth a try. Just not an improvement to me. Just PM me if you want the cable.

Right now, I am happy with the stock ML90s and the stock cable. I actually like it with just my HP out on the iPhone 5, using the Onkyo HF EQ app (a slight bass tweak). I am at 40 or so hours of burn in and not changing much to my ears. But will let them on for 60+ and see what happens. I like them, great value at $68. But just not up for modding them. Worried I will destroy them or at the very least, make them sound worse. So to me, they are not going to replace the Fidelio X1s any time soon as my home phones. I'll use both, try and see if the ML90s are better with some genres than others. I also prefer the X1 fit, of course, but that's a no brainer.

Make it 80+ hours to be safe. You should notice a change by then. How are you burning them in again? I had some bass and drums tunes beating them at fairly high volumes (but not high enough to destroy anything).

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3,242 of 6,783
  Anyone in search of the Auvio 6-foot cable, I will sell you mine at cost. I tried it out today, but it seems to really increase the harshness of the highs. I spent all of 10 minutes at Radio Shack and $3 at the register, so worth a try. Just not an improvement to me. Just PM me if you want the cable.

Right now, I am happy with the stock ML90s and the stock cable. I actually like it with just my HP out on the iPhone 5, using the Onkyo HF EQ app (a slight bass tweak). I am at 40 or so hours of burn in and not changing much to my ears. But will let them on for 60+ and see what happens. I like them, great value at $68. But just not up for modding them. Worried I will destroy them or at the very least, make them sound worse. So to me, they are not going to replace the Fidelio X1s any time soon as my home phones. I'll use both, try and see if the ML90s are better with some genres than others. I also prefer the X1 fit, of course, but that's a no brainer.

You need to let that cable burn in for about 25-30 hours before it settles down.
Plus, are your Mikros 90 burned in yet?  About 200+ hours before they really settle down, IMHE.
am listening to the Auvio right now with the stock 90s and it sounds nice.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #3,243 of 6,783
  SF,
Thank you very much for doing this.
Your efforts to make this a better thread are appreciated.

L3000.gif

+

Stay focused, SF...

^ Oh but i am, always got my eyes on the grand prizes.
very_evil_smiley.gif

^ i'll take it if it's $3 shipped.
ksc75smile.gif

The radioshack that has it is soooo damn far away.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #3,245 of 6,783

Right now I have 1 layer of party streamer over both the left and right holes. But the bass level in my left driver is still a bit too much for eardrum to sustain, so these are my options:

1) Try to recreate the same amount of blockage in the left driver as in the right driver. Option (a) is to just cover half of the left hole with a label. Option (b) is to put a 2nd layer of party streamer on the left driver.

2) Dig out the earwax from my right driver. This might be dangerous, but would at least in theory get both drivers sounding the same. I could then do what needs to be done to get the bass levels down to non eardrum bursting levels lol.

I'll probably start out with 1a or 1b.

Went with (1b). Good news is that both drivers sound the same again, and they sound pretty much back to stock. Which is great because I was afraid that I'd have to write them off. Clear, detailed mids and highs. Bass is back to where it was stock I think. But after having been tainted with mod-tacular bass and fullness, there's a reasonable chance that they'll be going under the knife again 
smile.gif

Edit: I should point out that from the time I started modding, my left driver was probably exhibiting it's "huge amount of bass" syndrome do to the earwax that I most likely removed from it by accident. So now I know why I wasn't getting the ultimate from the mods (well, I was in the right driver, but was too clueless to figure that out quickly lol). And now I know that I can get the ultimate from the mods, which is very exciting. 

Edit2: it is really amazing how much THE HOLE affects things. Wow. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #3,247 of 6,783
I still haven't even hit 30hrs I don't think... Prob around 10-15hrs max

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3,248 of 6,783
  I still haven't even hit 30hrs I don't think... Prob around 10-15hrs max

Throw them on a dedicated burning station at night and any time you're not using them, and you'll get up there quickly.

My burning station consists of a really old mp3 player (permanently plugged into power) in a drawer with the headphones.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #3,249 of 6,783
u need to get up to warpspeed....put it into a toaster oven :p

Went with (1b). Good news is that both drivers sound the same again, and they sound pretty much back to stock. Which is great because I was afraid that I'd have to write them off. Clear, detailed mids and highs. Bass is back to where it was stock I think. But after having been tainted with mod-tacular bass and fullness, there's a reasonable chance that they'll be going under the knife again 
smile.gif

Edit: I should point out that from the time I started modding, my left driver was probably exhibiting it's "huge amount of bass" syndrome do to the earwax that I most likely removed from it by accident. So now I know why I wasn't getting the ultimate from the mods (well, I was in the right driver, but was too clueless to figure that out quickly lol). And now I know that I can get the ultimate from the mods, which is very exciting. 

Edit2: it is really amazing how much THE HOLE affects things. Wow. 

great news...both side balanced...u sealed up both holes? y did u say they are back to stock?

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #3,250 of 6,783

great news...both side balanced...u sealed up both holes? y did u say they are back to stock?

Two layers of party streamer covering the left driver hole and one layer covering the right driver hole did it. Sound very much back to stock. So that's excellent.

But I will now be doing the following:

1) right driver: exposing the hole once again

2) left driver: poking holes in the double layer party streamer hole cover until the bass & sound matches the right driver

3) cups: putting back the leather and felt as per your latest modding incarnation (What? It's not in your modding post.. sluggard!)

4) enjoying them!

Btw, here's my latest source of real leather. Might even be Carven! Gotta love dollar stores lol

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #3,251 of 6,783
You guys are crazy... The bass on these is perfectly balanced, why would you want to increase it? The only thing it might need is a little bit tighter bass

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #3,252 of 6,783
its not just about a bigger accentuated bass....but the ability to reproduce a bigger/lower bass when its in the music.
And the sound presentation is less TIN-ny...but a more matured sounding, bigger sounding can. leaning towards a cicumaural imho.

My crude mod gets me almost there..depending on my gears.. i estimate. 
I hope the community of modders would come up with a more polished mod,  
that way all can enjoy another dimension of this gem.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,253 of 6,783
  its not just about a bigger accentuated bass....but the ability to reproduce a bigger/lower bass when its in the music.
And the sound presentation is less TIN-ny...but a more matured sounding, bigger sounding can. leaning towards a cicumaural imho.

My crude mod gets me almost there..depending on my gears.. i estimate. 
I hope the community of modders would come up with a more polished mod,  
that way all can enjoy another dimension of this gem.

The sound is already very lush sounding...if it messes with the separation by making it more muddied then NTY on that mod. If there is a way to get those benefits while keeping the same bass quantity then i'll consider it, but the bass quantity is just perfect right now..

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,254 of 6,783

The sound is already very lush sounding...if it messes with the separation by making it more muddied then NTY on that mod. If there is a way to get those benefits while keeping the same bass quantity then i'll consider it, but the bass quantity is just perfect right now..

The end sound of a mod is very subjected to what goes into it...and the synergy it has with the gears..
so it doesnt mean if u follow my mod, u will hear what i heard. But it should be around that ballpark, and u finetune from there.
What i think i narrowed down, is that i could hear a tight whacking deep bass when it is asked for.
And the vocals are captivating, highs soaring like the stockcan. 

Tried listening to the stockmikros a few hours ago, just felt its a little "piped-thru " "welled-in"  more nasal, vs my modded pair. 
With hindsight, i know i am just listening to sounds made within the driver n that pad..thats it...albeit very nicely done.
Its like a bookshelf spkr to my ears...if u dun listen to floorstanders, bookshelfs are enjoyable, no doubt, i played with quite a few pairs of bookshelfs.
If that satisfy u, stay a virgin..nothing wrong. Its good...to stay pure.

For me, i have descended to HOLE=liness. :p

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,255 of 6,783
  Ya, that was me. They are great with the Mikros. Especially at their close out price. But be prepared to make the barrel end connecting to the Mikros smaller. I used a utility knife to whittle it down. It's a soft plastic and was pretty easy to do.

Thanks, and how do you compare this cable to stock one? Or other cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back