Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,031 of 6,783

I know I've had some critical comments, but I don't think they're junk by any means. But likewise I don't think they're the second coming either. I think they're very good phones for sure, and handily displace my Mad Dog 3.0 orthos, which is a pretty nice feat considering the going $65-75 price! To me, they seem to represent the $200-300 bracket quite well. 

On anther note, I picked up the 6' Auvio cable from Radioshack for all of $3!! I hate how stiff, and microphonic it is, and how it kinks.... but damn if it doesn't open up things a bit (which is good because my main beef with the Mikros is a touch of congestion with detailing). Now I have an email out to Brian with BTG Audio to see what the price would be for a silver cable... that would probably do some nice things to the sound sig. 

^ Yeah i know was just saying that so haterz can get off our backs is alls, so yeppp they for me perform at the $200 and $300 levels as well sound wise but can be had for under $80 these days so it's really a no brainer buy, welp at least for me anyways now knowing how they truly perform. No one ever claimed that these were the 2nd coming if i remember correctly but it's that just many, myself included likes them over all the cans i have had before, which are my ATH ES700s, ATH WS99s, and Philips X1s. Those are all gone now and i have no regrets selling them off whatsoever. But for others that likes/ prefers them over flagships like the HE-6s, etc etc etc it's their personal choice and opinion so take it for what's worth and YMMV.

Thinking about getting that $3 auvio cable as well just for funzies despite they are so damn long, stiff and microphonic cuz it's so cheap. haha Sweet keep us updated on that custom cable if you do decide to take that route. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3,032 of 6,783

^ Yeah i know was just saying that so haterz can get off our backs is alls, so yeppp they for me perform at the $200 and $300 levels as well sound wise and they can be had for under $80 these days so it's really a no brainer buy, welp at least for me know that i know how they truly perform. No one ever claimed that these for the 2nd coming if i remember correctly it's that just many including myself likes them over all the cans i had before and that is including my ATH ES700s, ATH WS99s, and Philips X1s. Those are all gone now and i have now regrets selling them off whatsoever. But for others that like prefer them over flagships like the HE-6s, etc etc etc it's their personal choice and opinion so take that for what's it's worth and YMMV.

Thinking about getting that $3 auvio cable as well just for funzies despite they are so damn long, stiff and microphonic cuz it's so cheap. haha Sweet keep us updated on that custom cable if you do decide to take that route. 

I'll give you my pairs for the cost of a martin logan's MSRP. 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #3,035 of 6,783

So heads up high and proud and swag the frack out with these Logans boi!!!

LOL

And that's how they probably picture Mikros owners in their heads.

So, I guess not LOL. 
cool.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3,036 of 6,783

Cool pataburd! If you get the chance the next time you are in there, please take a pic or two of your configuration :)

With the hole fully open, when there is sub-bass, THERE IS SUB-BASS lol! I find it pretty awesome tbh, but it would be fun to see what effect changing the size of the hole has on things. A friend mentioned using a decal (with a hole size of your choosing somehow punched into it) to reblock the hole. Might try that!

sounds like a good idea, with all the diff setups we have.. and the diff grades of hides in the world...rabbit furs..bison butt skins...snake leathers..

The sound on my home setup is highly tune-able...now i have a russian 6AS7 type of tube on my darkvoice, and i had to switch to Lo Gain to tame this russian brute.
The HearThruBass mod sounded like a "normal" bigheadfone...doesnt feel like a basscanon at all...unless the music calls for it. 
The stock Mikros sidebyside sounded like a bookshelfspeaker..definitely...albeit a good one.
Pace yourself, but do go under one day... its a diff experience..FUN !

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,037 of 6,783

I know I've had some critical comments, but I don't think they're junk by any means. But likewise I don't think they're the second coming either.

Well, that is quite an accomplishment for Martin Logan.

Think about it...in most hype threads you have those who like a headphone, and those who don't.

In the Mikros 90 thread, you have those who think they are the second coming, and those who just like them.  We've seen very few (more like none at all) haters.  The few people who actually didn't like them did not even own them -- they based their opinions on a quick audition at Best Buy.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #3,038 of 6,783
I have just ordered the Pipeline PLET4B10 Premium audio cable. Let's see how it goes. I guess I'll do some modding with the cable.
I have also asked a friend of mine to build me a DIY silver plated audio cable. Gotta check the SQ with this one as well. I'll report back as soon as it arrives.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3,039 of 6,783
we aint at no 2nd Coming...if u hav a Mikros in hand...u have gone beyond...welcome to the.......

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #3,040 of 6,783

sounds like a good idea, with all the diff setups we have.. and the diff grades of hides in the world...rabbit furs..bison butt skins...snake leathers..

The sound on my home setup is highly tune-able...now i have a russian 6AS7 type of tube on my darkvoice, and i had to switch to Lo Gain to tame this russian brute.
The HearThruBass mod sounded like a "normal" bigheadfone...doesnt feel like a basscanon at all...unless the music calls for it. 
The stock Mikros sidebyside sounded like a bookshelfspeaker..definitely...albeit a good one.

Very true. When I listen to "normal" music, which I'll categorize as anything except electronic sub-bass heavy music, the HearThruBass mods simply fill out the music beautifully. It's only abby-normal music like electronic and trance that for me turns the HearThruBass 90's into sub-bass cannons.. not that I mind!

Speaking of normal music (but good normal music)...

Pace yourself, but do go under one day... its a diff experience..FUN !

Looks fun. And looks expensive lol!

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,041 of 6,783
Hey guys, I was one of the posters over in the other thread. My initial posts were a little more negative in tone than they should've been, and I apologize for that. I've also written a response to what pataburd wrote on the thread. My apologies for any ruffled feathers.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #3,042 of 6,783
  I have just ordered the Pipeline PLET4B10 Premium audio cable. Let's see how it goes. I guess I'll do some modding with the cable.
I have also asked a friend of mine to build me a DIY silver plated audio cable. Gotta check the SQ with this one as well. I'll report back as soon as it arrives.

keep us posted bro !! welcome :)

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3,043 of 6,783
  Hey guys, I was one of the posters over in the other thread. My initial posts were a little more negative in tone than they should've been, and I apologize for that. I've also written a response to what pataburd wrote on the thread. My apologies for any ruffled feathers.

No feathers ruffled here.

If you still have your Mikros, join us in the madhouse (it's lots of fun).  If you don't have them anymore, what are you waiting for...get another pair before they are gone.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,044 of 6,783

No feathers ruffled here.

If you still have your Mikros, join us in the madhouse (it's lots of fun).  If you don't have them anymore, what are you waiting for...get another pair before they are gone.
wink.gif

I'm a little broke at the moment and I already have too many portables as it is, but I did enjoy my short time with the Mikros. They were definitely good, but not quite my cup of tea. Maybe with a little modding...

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,045 of 6,783

No sweat bro, just make your amends...get a Mikros. B4 it RUNS out of stock?...and join in the fun. lol

Alot of guys here have heard many many cans, and this baby really punch way beyond its price. 
Some leather pads already cost 60bucks..:p

For me, it started off by my noticing that CLARITY..and SOUND STAGE projecting ability of this can..
not so much the bass..but then i realised that there is alot of TEXTURE in the bass..
so these are all good attributes to my taste of music.
Its abit later that i found the vocals rather CAPTIVATING.. it didnt hit me early..the drivers need to loosen up.

And the EXCITEMENT of the bros here are infectious...
loads of FUN hanging out with these guys.
And there are HOARDers here..sigh..bought my 2nd..came in yesterday. Its a beau..that clean leather.

NOW HIT THE BUY BUTTON. ..if u havent already. 

edit : Oh u already had it n sold it.. ??  well now u really need to rediscover this gem...that HOLE u missed the first time..its ready for the DIGGING. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back