Marshall Headphones Major
Jul 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #31 of 42

Quote:
You know I read that and I know Tyll is the man but I had to disagree w/ that.  Either my product variant was better or I listen louder than he does.  I really didn't think it was that bad and imbalanced honestly.  I was expecting crap hearing about all the Zounds warnings but after trying them for a few weeks, they were okay.  I'd say they compete fine in the $50 bracket and below.  I'd take them over the Beats and HD202 for example.  Meh.  

Just realized that Marshall Majors added a mic and remote for phone users. Great!

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #32 of 42

Quote:
You know I read that and I know Tyll is the man but I had to disagree w/ that. 

No worries.  I thought they didn't sound really bad, or I wouldn't have reviewed them at all ... or would have lambasted them. I just can't recommend them. 

It's a fine line.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #33 of 42

Quote:
No worries.  I thought they didn't sound really bad, or I wouldn't have reviewed them at all ... or would have lambasted them. I just can't recommend them.   
It's a fine line.

Just asking Tyll, it sometimes feels like the Marshalls sound like the Beats Studio. Have any experience on that?

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #34 of 42

Quote:

It's a fine line.

It is.  Perhaps my sights were set much lower.  
biggrin.gif
  Certainly not something I would pay retail for.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #36 of 42

Quote:
Just asking Tyll, it sometimes feels like the Marshalls sound like the Beats Studio. Have any experience on that?

If you mean do they both sound like a 6x9 in a Pinto .... yes. But the Studios sound a bit better, Id say, just boring though. The Majors are clearly shouty sounding to me.

TBH, I mostly did the review because there's a fair amount of chatter about them on teh interwebs, and I just wanted to get a more sturdy opinion out there rather than the hype echo from the PR machines.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #38 of 42

Quote:
I did a short comparison of the Marsall Major yesterday in HMV with my Zune 120, in a direct comparison with my ATH-ES7s.

Disclosure: I could be said to have an AT bias as I have an AD700 at home, the AD500 at work, the ES7, and the NC7. For sport I use the Sennheiser OMX70. No complaints as to sound quality with any of those, though I'm on my 3rd pair of the Senns as their durability leaves something to be desired (long story though). I also have a pair of B&O A8s which someone gave to me for a birthday present, and I do use them sometimes. They are OK but are definitely overpriced at US$120 - for US$85 (the price at which they were first sold here) they are acceptable, not least for their looks and construction.

Anyway, back to the Marshall Major. It is indeed very light and folds up very nicely. It also feels good in a "classic" sort of way, with a leather headband. I can see how it would also fit very well on the head.

However, and I may be biased, but I much prefer the sound from my ES7s, which are not exactly the best-sounding headphones around (though in my view acceptable for what they are). I only played 2 tracks, Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark (Live)" off their Edward the Great greatest hits album, and "The Pilgrim" off their second-last full album, "A Matter of Life and Death". Both ripped at 192K-320K MP3, VBR High using CDEx.

IMO the Marshall had more "attack" than the ES7s, in that certain things just seemed to have slightly more presence. OTOH this was at the cost of the ES7s' soundstage, which was wider and in which instruments sounded more distinct. I would go as far as to say that the Marshalls sounded muddy in comparison, which surprised me. I agree with the poster above who said that the ES7s have more distinct bass.

Having said that I do think they would be an acceptable choice for a pair of very portable headphones. I'm not going to buy them as the ES7s do a better job for me, but if I didn't have a pair of ES7s I'd be very tempted to go for the Marshalls instead, though it would mainly be for the perceived additional comfort, the interesting folding mechanism, and the "rock" factor. :wink:

can you help me decide in which headphones i would buy..
Marshall Majors or Philips O'neill The Stretch?

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #39 of 42
if you listen to mainly rock music or maybe a little bit of acoustic.. this headphone is great, I actually prefer these than the hd25-1ii, not in overall quality but more to the character (subjectively),  the resolution to me is much more pleasing on these, and feels more open sounding than the slightly congested and forward sounding senn hd25 1

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #40 of 42

Quote:
if you listen to mainly rock music or maybe a little bit of acoustic.. this headphone is great, I actually prefer these than the hd25-1ii, not in overall quality but more to the character (subjectively),  the resolution to me is much more pleasing on these, and feels more open sounding than the slightly congested and forward sounding senn hd25 1

but how do you find the "Philips O'neill The stretch"?

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #42 of 42
I think these cans sound pretty decent. Yes it's a SUPER closed kind of sound, but it's pretty engaging and fun. I also noticed that they reproduce synth and keyboard sounds pretty vividly and defined. I might just get them if I find them being sold at a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back