Marshall Headphones Major
Nov 16, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 42
No one knows until someone tries them. Specs don't mean anything, but they were designed with portable devices in mind, so they probably won't "need" an amp. A lot of phones still benefit from one.

Quote:
I was looking at a post about this headphones, but by the specs would you say are they any good? It seems by the impediance that they don't really need an amp.

http://www.marshallheadphones.com/product/major

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 42
They are, but they hired a bad company to design these phones. That's why you haven't seen much interest around here.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 42
I've tried them and decided to buy them.

Impression: it's looks good and sounds good.

A more detailed review? Not for the moment but to give you a better picture of what it really is, imagine Senn PX200, AKG K450, Audio-Technica ES7 etc. It's more like PX200 than K450 as it is a bit clearer sounding, and it does have a nice impactful yet not so deep bass like the ES7. But, like its competitors, it's nothing spectecular, except it make an excellent portable choice  - it's way of collapsing is really smart - u have to see it to know it. when it is collapsed there're two protruding prongs (which was part of the headband when opened) for you to coil your cable around.

I do consider it in the same league of the aforementioned portable cans - and at the Major's price it is competitive. At least it is not skullcandy / urbanears stuff. I trust Marshall did put some input into the sound tuning.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 42
I did a short comparison of the Marsall Major yesterday in HMV with my Zune 120, in a direct comparison with my ATH-ES7s.

Disclosure: I could be said to have an AT bias as I have an AD700 at home, the AD500 at work, the ES7, and the NC7. For sport I use the Sennheiser OMX70. No complaints as to sound quality with any of those, though I'm on my 3rd pair of the Senns as their durability leaves something to be desired (long story though). I also have a pair of B&O A8s which someone gave to me for a birthday present, and I do use them sometimes. They are OK but are definitely overpriced at US$120 - for US$85 (the price at which they were first sold here) they are acceptable, not least for their looks and construction.

Anyway, back to the Marshall Major. It is indeed very light and folds up very nicely. It also feels good in a "classic" sort of way, with a leather headband. I can see how it would also fit very well on the head.

However, and I may be biased, but I much prefer the sound from my ES7s, which are not exactly the best-sounding headphones around (though in my view acceptable for what they are). I only played 2 tracks, Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark (Live)" off their Edward the Great greatest hits album, and "The Pilgrim" off their second-last full album, "A Matter of Life and Death". Both ripped at 192K-320K MP3, VBR High using CDEx.

IMO the Marshall had more "attack" than the ES7s, in that certain things just seemed to have slightly more presence. OTOH this was at the cost of the ES7s' soundstage, which was wider and in which instruments sounded more distinct. I would go as far as to say that the Marshalls sounded muddy in comparison, which surprised me. I agree with the poster above who said that the ES7s have more distinct bass.

Having said that I do think they would be an acceptable choice for a pair of very portable headphones. I'm not going to buy them as the ES7s do a better job for me, but if I didn't have a pair of ES7s I'd be very tempted to go for the Marshalls instead, though it would mainly be for the perceived additional comfort, the interesting folding mechanism, and the "rock" factor. :wink:

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 42
Thanks for the impressions Slayer, i have a list of headphones to compare before buying (marshall hp's are on it). 
Still deciding for which one i should go for. 

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 42

[size=medium]
Just got a pair in today.  Doing a light, low and slow burn atm.  Out of the box, strangely enough, nothing immediately objectionable.  Surprising.  Btw, these are freaking tiny!  Plus forget about isolation.  Look great though and nothing sounds wrong....yet.  
[/size]

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
 ...At least it is not skullcandy / urbanears stuff.

I'm afraid they are. Very evident in the Marshall Minor:

Urban Ears Medis:

So sad to see an icon like Marshall get onboard the Let's-slap-our-brand-on-cheap-headphones-and-make-some-easy-bucks bandwagon :frowning2:

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 42
I think the Minors are weird and gimmicky looking, I couldn't even figure out how to wear them at all! I managed to kind of hang them on to my ears a bit like the Apple earbuds and they sounded terrible with 0 sound isolation!
The Major on the other hand, are surprisingly good for the price, very punchy bass with a good overall sound, like how Anaxilus described them, with nothing sounding wrong. They are still a bit gimmicky looking but acceptable, and they are tiny and light, they look much smaller than what I'd expect from the pictures.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 42

Quote:

The Major on the other hand, are surprisingly good for the price, very punchy bass with a good overall sound, like how Anaxilus described them, with nothing sounding wrong. They are still a bit gimmicky looking but acceptable, and they are tiny and light, they look much smaller than what I'd expect from the pictures.

I've been somewhat surprised honestly.  From reading about Zound I was expecting crap.  These are NOT crap at all.  Are they worth $100?  Not compared to my old M50 which itself was a bargain IMO.  But compared to others they certainly have a place when you consider the package.  I've got the Denon D310 here and the Koss DJ100 on the way (for the second time) to compare. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 42
But aren't the M 50s retailed for $199? I do think they sound good for $100, from the 2 tracks I've listened to (both dance), the bass sounded more punchy than my K 240s, don't know what they'd sound like with other genres though. I would have bought them if they look more discreet, can't imagine myself wearing them on the train or at the gym, think I'd stick out like a sore thumb. :D

I've been somewhat surprised honestly.  From reading about Zound I was expecting crap.  These are NOT crap at all.  Are they worth $100?  Not compared to my old M50 which itself was a bargain IMO.  But compared to others they certainly have a place when you consider the package.  I've got the Denon D310 here and the Koss DJ100 on the way (for the second time) to compare. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back