Marshall Headphones Major
Dec 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #16 of 42

Quote:
But aren't the M 50s retailed for $199? I do think they sound good for $100, from the 2 tracks I've listened to (both dance), the bass sounded more punchy than my K 240s, don't know what they'd sound like with other genres though. I would have bought them if they look more discreet, can't imagine myself wearing them on the train or at the gym, think I'd stick out like a sore thumb.
biggrin.gif

Well the M50s are regularly found for <$100 authorized if you know where to look.  Not sure about holiday pricing.  Someone said stock is drying up atm driving up the price.  I agree the Marshalls have very nice bass (quality) which surprised me.  Everything else sounds pretty balanced, they just don't have that extra bit of refinement or clarity but I think the overall sound is right in line w/ the price.  I think the eventual deal to be had on these is around the $79 mark w/ $59 being the OMG lightning deal price.  I think MSRP is $149.  I actually like the look.  I think they need a layer of 303 protectant to make them look a bit less vinyl and rubbery like.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 42
Yeah I don't understand that design at all for the Minor.  Is there a version of this that actually sounds good and is comfortable?  I am all for trying to improve the shove it down your canal approach but this just seems like dangling a small speaker near your ear.  Marshall could have done something really cool with the knob idea.  Just not that.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #18 of 42
I had been contemplating getting these to replace and old pair of sonys as my everyday pair hooked up to my imac. I thought the marshall sites shipping was a little high so I've been searching around for a week or two before I found them at moxsie.com. It seems that companies that carry urbanears seem to be sometimes carry the marshall majors as well. They had a thing on there website for 10% off to sigh up for the newsletter which I did, got the code, and it for some reason  gave me 25% off with free shipping. Monday I got an email with the tracking number and that I had been upgraded to 2-day fedex from ground.  I got them today, open the box and to
my surprise it was gift wrapped...

On my woo audio stand

Went back and forth with whether I liked them or not. Their definitely not my B&W P5's, for sound clarity, muffled compared to them. I'm a little concerned that the plastic hinge might break over time. I figure for $75 they look cool and don't sound bad at all. Just not anything amazing in the sound quality department. We'll see how they sound once their broken in a bit.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #19 of 42

Quote:
I figure for $75 they look cool and don't sound bad at all. Just not anything amazing in the sound quality department.

You basically hit the nail on the head.

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 42
LOL..  Marshall had very little input on these I believe. Zound industries made them. I have Zound's Coloud Star Wars R2D2 headphones..    they're quite possibly the worst headphones I've ever put on me ears..  

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 42
I've ordered these and they are coming tomorrow, not a major audiophile but I like the look straight away, nice retro amp feel, I assume Zound will have put more effort into these headphones than the urban ones or the ones you mentioned wilzc, I'll reply here again after about a week of listening.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #27 of 42
Got them today, to be honest i'm not a major hardcore audiophile, they look and feel great and the cable is really nice, even if they are the same as urbanears then I don't care, they sound better than apple earphones.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #28 of 42

Quote:
They are, but they hired a bad company to design these phones. That's why you haven't seen much interest around here.

That depends on who you talk to and what about. Their SS line of amps are garbage (old MOS series was good), their tubes are great, but again it when you add the cost into the equation, things can change.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 42
Tyll from InnerFidelity who is, to put it simply, VERY respected in this community did a review on these a while back -

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/marshall-major-heaphone-zound-industries
heres the end summary of that review: -
Summary I’m reminded of the 3”x5” speaker in the dashboard in my buddy’s 1970 Pinto --- a very peaky mid-range rules them out for my music listening pleasures. Good speech intelligibility, however, might make these cans work fine with books on tape, video watching, and talk radio. Not recommended for music.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 42

Quote:
Tyll from InnerFidelity who is, to put it simply, VERY respected in this community did a review on these a while back -

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/marshall-major-heaphone-zound-industries
heres the end summary of that review: -
Summary I’m reminded of the 3”x5” speaker in the dashboard in my buddy’s 1970 Pinto --- a very peaky mid-range rules them out for my music listening pleasures. Good speech intelligibility, however, might make these cans work fine with books on tape, video watching, and talk radio. Not recommended for music.

You know I read that and I know Tyll is the man but I had to disagree w/ that.  Either my product variant was better or I listen louder than he does.  I really didn't think it was that bad and imbalanced honestly.  I was expecting crap hearing about all the Zounds warnings but after trying them for a few weeks, they were okay.  I'd say they compete fine in the $50 bracket and below.  I'd take them over the Beats and HD202 for example.  Meh.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back