markl Mod for Denon AH-D5000 (With Pics!)
Nov 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #136 of 295
My d2000 was like the above posters w/ a foam ring in the plastic cup. Anyways, I tried some dampening material in the center of that ring for a few days and didn't really like the sound all that much. While the bass did get a little tighter I felt it lost a lot of airiness so I reverted back to stock mode. I never experienced the vibration Markl had with his bass so losing that bit of tiny bit of tightness that the dampening material provided was something I could live with. Regardless the pad mod I feel is still a great mod for the d2000 though. Thanks again Markl.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #137 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, I was thinkingg of just pouring the little lumps straight into the cup? Having never touched the stuff, I don't really know what the cinsistency of it is, etc. I guess I'll find out.

Rather than using icky paste or foam, I thought just pouring a small quantity in the foot of a pair of tights, tying off the end and snipping away the excess material so you end up with a 'pad' of the aerogel that you can then place in the headphone cup and secure reversibly with some tape?

Edit: Ignore the looks you get from the shop assistant and put on the 'hassled husband face'.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #138 of 295
i am wondering which amp did Denon use for making this headphone
probably Denon's own AV/Stereo amp?

i have an old denon AVamp with headphone out ..
i will try it to see if it has great synergy with it tmr.

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #140 of 295
I'd be grateful if the next person who actual does this mod would take (and post) a complete set of pictures during every step of the mod. I can host them on my Photobucket account if needed. I'm interested in trying this, but I am all thumbs, and so nervous about actually doing it...

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #141 of 295
[size=small]Tempur Experiment[/size]
OK, so I couldn't wait for my sample of Tempur to show up, especially not knowing if it was large enough to do the job. So, I cut up an old Tempur pillow to obtain the same material.

I initially cut it up into very thick pieces that could be scrunched up into the ear cup to provide the maximum amount of damping this material could provide while still allowing me to screw the wood ear cup to the assembly.

This initial pad looked about like this:

102907026yx1.jpg

I sealed up the cups and listened. No go. This extreme amount of dampening with Tempur cuts into bass response too much. Yes, the headphone was more stable and more secure than ever, and no vibrations whatsoever, but there can be no denying the bass was attenuated too much, and slam and heft left too weak.

So I unsealed and removed a decent amount of Tempur, so that there was very little scrunching it into the ear pad; it fit pretty well, with just a modicum of scrunching. Sealed it up, tried again. Now we had bass roughly equivalent to the R10s. Tight as could be, but lacking in guts and extension, just like the R10.

So, finally, I opened them up one last time, took out another layer of Tempur, picked away at the center depression where the driver's butt fits in, and cut away at the outside edges, until I achieved a piece of Tempur that was roughly equivalent to the same size sponge I had in there earlier. The sponge, as you know if you've tried this already, although 1/2" thick, scrunches down considerably to fit into the ear cup, and retains its scrunched shape. The ideal amount of Tempur is roughly equivalent to the amount of sponge you had in there without the scrunching and compacting. Here is a pic of the finished Tempur damping by itself and in the cup:

102907028md5.jpg

102907031rx7.jpg

The bottom line is the Tempur is an insanely better dampener than sponge, and it's quite possible to go too far with it and end up cutting out too much bass.

There are advantages of the right amount of Tempur over the right amount of sponge. The sponge mod seemed to have slightly reduced the amount of upper midrange and treble. Not so, the Tempur mod.

But there is a distinct disadvantage that made me ultimately reject Tempur. It seems to somehow muddy the bass response, and reduce upper bass warmth. It didn't sound as good as the sponge mod.

So, I removed the Tempur once again and simply filled the cups up with cotton, so I will try that next.

I may revisit the Tempur mod one last time, this time shaving it down to the very bare bones, to see if a super-thin layer might have all the advantages and none of the downsides.

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #142 of 295
It's very easy. I'm hesitant to take mine apart again, because screws and plastic don't mix well. It seems very easy to strip the screws from unscrewing too many times, or over tightening.

Basically there is two sets of four screws. That's all there is to it.

How do we verify if the drivers are the same. Compare numbers on the drivers?

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #143 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am wondering which amp did Denon use for making this headphone
probably Denon's own AV/Stereo amp?

i have an old denon AVamp with headphone out ..
i will try it to see if it has great synergy with it tmr.

Do you think a Denon AV/Stereo amp would be good for headphones? I've listened to the D2000's through the Denon AV/stereo amp, and it sounds really good, but i dont have anything to compare to.

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #146 of 295
OK, quick update on the Tempr mod, I think it may still bee too heavy-handed and too drastic a mod, I'm getting some weird muddiness in the upper bass and lower mids.

I've taken it out and replaced it with good old cotton. I want to see what the differences are when going from the densest material I've tried (Tempur) to the least dense (cotton).

I may revisit the Tempur mod, but I will need to shave the padding down to very bare bones. A little of this stuff goes a long way.

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #147 of 295
How does this modded D5000 fare with classical music? While my L3000 are my main phones with jazz/blues/rock I listen to, I've been venturing a lot into classical these days. Although I picked up an HD650 to experiment, I would prefer closed phones, given new addition to family. If I remember, R10s were extolled for classical, so it it taking the analogy too far too say modded D5000 is like R10 with classical? Very tempted with this, as compliment to my L3000, and it looks like Denons are readily available in stores in Hong Kong.

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #148 of 295
I don't listen to classical, but the slightly lush tones with lots of body that the D5000 has really makes it sound sweet with strings. The D5000 has arguably more natural tone than the R10. So if you like the actual sound of an instrument, and the recording captures that, that's pretty much what you'll hear.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #149 of 295
Nov 3, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #150 of 295
Hm this discussion is interesting. Is there any way of checking if the driver in AH-D2000 and AH-D5000 are the same?

Why would Denon do the markl mod in the AH-D2000 but not the AH-D5000?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back