markl Mod for Denon AH-D5000 (With Pics!)
Nov 8, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #166 of 295
What are those pillows doing on your headphones?
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #167 of 295
Alright friends, I've just come up with a great way to do the earpad mod. I'm in the process of doing it right now, but I've finished one ear already. Instead of using messy, uneven cotton layers, I tried using layers of foam padding. I used a black Foamies brand foam sheet and cut out rings, stacked them up and slid them into place underneath that plastic ring on the Denon. The perfect thickness seems to be 3 layers. I don't have any measurement for the size of the rings--I pretty much just eyed it up. I can measure if someone would like me to, though. I'll put some pictures up in a bit too, I'd just like to finish the other ear and have a listen first. So far so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #169 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you markl moded D2000? What were your cups inside? With piece of white stuffing or empty? If empty I assume you did sponge mod, if stuff was already there what did you do?

Sorry for hitting you with so many questions, I'm planning to do this mod, but don't want to open my cans as yet, still haven't got my cable for intended re-cable ready (and don't want to unscrew/screw these small screws too often for obvious reasons).

Cheers

Hi, feel free to ask away if I do not fully answer or you have other questions.

Yes, I modded the D2000s. There was the white foam inside but I removed it as it seemed too loose and too insignificant for it to do anything. I figured that as the white foam is loose, if any air got into the cups with just the white foam as damping, it would just flap around and cause nasty 'farting' resonances.

So I removed the white foam.

Then proceeded with the mod as normal.

I also did not use any tape, as the plastic cup rims held the cotton in fine.

-

Carl.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #170 of 295
[size=small]Dynamat Xtreme & Fiberloft Mountain Mist Mod[/size]

Here we go again!
3000smile.gif

So far this mod is very very promising.
cool.gif

It consists of a sheet of Dynamat Xtreme: http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...at_xtreme.html

And some Fiberloft Mountain Mist Polyester filling: http://www.reprodepotfabrics.com/fblfffl.html

The Dynamat Xtreme is a thin anti-vibration material (1.6 mm thick) that is commonly used in car stereo installation to cancel out road noise and vibrations, giving you a quieter ride and quieter background for car stereo listening. It is supposed to turn vibration into heat that just disipates away.

The Fiberloft Mountain Mist is sort of like cotton, only courser and made of special polyester that is alleged to have superior acoustical properties and is used in many speakers.

How To
Take your sheet of dynamat and draw around the edge of your earcup and cut out an apporopriate circle. Cut little notches in each of 4 corners to accomodate the lip with the hole for the screw. Peel off the backing and stuff the Dynamat into the ear cup.

11207002al7.jpg

Now I add a little bit of damping to the driver itself. Cut a long, thin strip of Dynamat and wrap it around the portuding outside of the "butt" of the driver. Then take another small circle of Dynamat and attach it to the rear of the butt of the driver, but, and this is IMPORTANT-- leave a hole (approx. the same size as a hole in a piece of 3-ring binder paper) in the center. If you brush your finger on the rear of the butt of the driver, you will feel a small hole, presumably to allow aur to escape behind the driver. You do not want to cover this up.

11207004cf9.jpg

You could go crazy and cover up the whole of the rear of the driver assembly, but you will note it's full of holes, which I can only presume serve some sort of acoustical function, so should probably not be covered up.

Now, lightly fill up the remaining space in the ear cup with the Fiberloft. I would say, don't be too aggressive with it, just use a moderate amount, so you can still easily close up the ear cup and attach to the driver assembly. (Sorry, I have no pic of this).

Re-attach everything back up, and voila!

I've only had 90 min with this mod, but I've put it through all the torture tests and this one is sounding like the best so far by a wide margin, but I want to listen more before I decide.

The least attenuation of bass volume and impact, will make the skeptics happy. Yet, the degree of bass tightening is very very significant. It's dramatically more steady and solid than stock.

Unless I start to hear some dramatic problems, this may be where I park it, and stop. I'll follow up later tonight with more thoughts as warranted.

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #173 of 295
Markl, great idea using the dynamat. That stuff is solid. For those of you thinking about purchasing it, if you don't want to wait for it to come in from ebay, Circuit City carries it. Now, here are some pictures from the earpad mod using Foamies brand foam that I detailed earlier. The pics are a kind of cruddy because I took them with my phone, but oh well.

144657e1e1e0.jpg

Here you can see the foam rings being shoved in there. I think it's easiest to slide them in together rather than one at a time. Also, I think three layers was a nice snug fit. You can try for four if you like, but I didn't.

899b6c6d6b5f.jpg

Now the foam rings are completely inserted.

e6126d4261db.jpg

Here is the finished product. The Denon sounds great! I like this mod because you don't need to shove platic cups or tape in there to tame the cotton, and you don't need to worry about the lumpiness, flattening and movement of other fabrics.

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #174 of 295
Wow, joeq70, that looks good, looks like you've achieved the maximum amount of stuffing. Where again did you get that foam from?

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #175 of 295
Thanks markl, just trying to improve on other people's amazing ideas
wink.gif

You can find the foam sheet in the craft section of Wal-Mart or at any craft store. I purchased mine from Michaels. Oh, and the stuff costs less than 50 cents.

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #177 of 295
Here is my version of markl's earpads mod.
I got a piece of 1/4" thick neoprene sheet with fabric in both sides (out of ebay)
CIMG0512.jpg

Then I cut a ring of the diameter and width of the white plastic substrate inside the earpad.
CIMG0513.jpg

Now that the ring is done just install it between the earpad and the substrate.
Here are the D5000 before the mod.
CIMG0448.jpg

An here they are after the mod.
CIMG0510.jpg

As you can see in the pictures I also added the DT770/880 headband pad to them. Between the headband pad the the earcup mod now the fit in my head is perfect and still very comfortable.

Regarding the sound impact of the mod. I notice the soundstage bigger and the bass just a little bit less dominating. Now in my opinion the sound is more balanced. I am listening to them with a Rudistor RPX-33 and they have never sound better.

Note: You can get the Dynamat in BestBuy at the car stereo section. Dynamat is not easy to remove if you want to make modifications. Instead you can use the damping material sold in partsexpress.com. here is the link. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=268-010

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 9, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #178 of 295
Right on, more good feedback, thanks musicman59.

Been listening to the Dynamat/Fiberloft mod all night, and I think this may very well do the trick and be the end of it. It seems to do it all-- don't attenuate the bass volume too much, but tighten it up and remove excess vibrations from the frame. I think I may have found the winner.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back