markl Mod for Denon AH-D5000 (With Pics!)
Nov 2, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #121 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, I was thinkingg of just pouring the little lumps straight into the cup? Having never touched the stuff, I don't really know what the cinsistency of it is, etc. I guess I'll find out.

280smile.gif
Well that would be great if you want to use it as a bead-shaker.

Aerogel has the consistency of glass, since it is basically glass. If you drop it, it will shatter. You will need to use a bonding agent and foam medium to make a paste with it.

When you get it, let me know and we can brainstorm some ideas together. And if you can spare a cap full of granules, I would love to examine the stuff myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #122 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuseMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say, these really have transformed. I listened to Porcupine Tree's latest album last night and it was a revelatory experience! The detail of these phones increased tremendously and the bass is as tight as a drum.

Sorry to go off topic here, but I always like to converse with a fellow Porcupine Tree fan. (been one since 1996, long story).

Anyway, which new CD are you referring to? Fear of a Blank Planet? (which was total garbage) or their outtake album from it Nil Recurring? (which was great)

Shoot me over a PM since I don't want to derail this thread.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #124 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So has anyone done the full mod on D2000s yet, rather than just the pad mod?

Yep, I have - sorry I neglected to mention it before. As you probably already know, they sure worked well for me!

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #125 of 295
My d2000 cups don't look anything like those d5000 cups inside, mine has some thick dampening material that is placed on the plastics and around that hard damping material is a round "ring" of if I remember right, soft "cottonlike" dampenign material. For those that has had there cups of, how does your cups look like inside? Maybe this is the reason I can't hear any ratteling in the sound and I listen to quite hard and bassy music at times. I can reach volumes that no human beeing is supposed to listan at without any vibration or ratteling.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #126 of 295
Quote:

Aerogel has the consistency of glass, since it is basically glass.

I don't know, the word "gel" in the title suggests gellatinous texture. The web site says it feels like a hard foam.

Quote:

When handled, Aerogel feels like a very light, hard foam.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #127 of 295
Like Gurra Stated above. I dont feel any vibration or rattling at all in my d2000's.
I asked Markl earler what particular tracks etc that made the cups vibrate, but I didn't get an answer.

I do feel very slight vibration if I turn the volume really loud, but It's painful to listen at that volume.

I decided to open up the d2000's, and they are infact quite different than the d5000's.

Here's pictures:
IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures, the iphone is my only camera at the moment.
But as you can see, there is a ring of foam, then in the middle there is a thick piece of rubber or linoleum like material glued in. It's about 1/8th of an inch or thicker. And it gives slightly. (like cork linoleum)

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #128 of 295
markl, what the difference between the two inside ? (D2000 & D5000). Have you one pic of the inside of the stock D5000?

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #129 of 295
Well -- this IS interesting news!
It seems most peeps have figured the only differences were the cup material, and the cable.
If there are also other internal differences, then that would further explain the small differences that many have heard when comparing the two cans.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #130 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by physh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like Gurra Stated above. I dont feel any vibration or rattling at all in my d2000's.
I asked Markl earler what particular tracks etc that made the cups vibrate, but I didn't get an answer.

I do feel very slight vibration if I turn the volume really loud, but It's painful to listen at that volume.

I decided to open up the d2000's, and they are infact quite different than the d5000's.

I knew there was a good reason why the D2000s sounded better!
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #131 of 295
hmmmm, I really don't remember that stuff being in the cups when I recabled by D2000 but that was a few months ago (and a few bottles of scotch). My D5000 caps were empty when I performed this mod. Interesting......
blink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #133 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm, I really don't remember that stuff being in the cups when I recabled by D2000 but that was a few months ago (and a few bottles of scotch). My D5000 caps were empty when I performed this mod. Interesting......
blink.gif

I never opened my first pair, but pair from the second pricejapan batch has all that stuff inside, I didn't go for the mod as didn't feel like removing that stock insulation. And, like I mentioned in my earlier post, after just tightening all the screws back I have zero vibration and SQ definitely improved (the bass got tighter and they not as mudded as before), and I am pretty sure that is not just my imagination.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #134 of 295
Quote:

Try Chemical Brothers Block Rockin' Beats for exaample.
basshead.gif

That's very interesting, thanks for the pic Physh. clearly Denon decided that the plastic cups needed at least some dampening, it looks similar to what I did with the sponge. The D5000 have that same dark gray foam ring, but there is no padding of any kind within the wooden ear cups.

The other thing is, I don't know if we know that D2000 and D5000 have the same driver or not? I haven't read much on the D2000 so I don't know what is known or not known about them vs. D5000.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #135 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...clearly Denon decided that the plastic cups needed at least some dampening, it looks similar to what I did with the sponge. The D5000 have that same dark gray foam ring, but there is no padding of any kind within the wooden ear cups.

I still don't have a chance to open my D5000. However, out of my speculation, would the damping of the D5000 cups eliminate the sonic advantage of the wooden cups? Is timbre affected by the mod ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back