markl Mod for Denon AH-D5000 (With Pics!)
Oct 30, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #91 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using the memory foam, would the plastic ring insert be required or wanted?

The way I understand the memory foam is to replace the sponge increasing the density of the material and thus the dampening factor? That is where I am going to use the foam at least.

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #92 of 295
I understood it to replace the cotton in the earpads as well... no?

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #94 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.positive-feedback.com/index.html

Hmmm... Thanks for the clarification, Mark.
cool.gif

BTW, this thread has made my hands itchy too... Now I'm curious about the D5000 mod too...
eek.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #96 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone needs to try this mod on the D2000.

The only two differences between them are the wooden caps and cable. It should have equally good results and would be easier as you have a lesser fear of stripping the treads on the plastic vs. the wood.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #97 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only two differences between them are the wooden caps and cable. It should have equally good results and would be easier as you have a lesser fear of stripping the treads on the plastic vs. the wood.

For some reason I thought someone already did the mod with a D2000. I'll have to read through the thread again and look.

In any case, I'm giving serious thought to doing this mod on my D2000, so would be really interested in hearing more impressions of others who've done the mod already.

Awesome thread and thanks for the great contribution markl!

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #98 of 295
Ok, now I need to know what good amp I can use with the Denons. Do I need a crazy expensive one? I know that they are low impedance high efficiency, so they should be pretty easy to drive.

And, how would they sound balanced?

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #99 of 295
I've been trying to decide on a good amp as well. I've seen mixed messeages. Some people tout the awesomeness of tube amps, but others say that low impedance cans like Denons don't work as well with tube amps. Then again, many say that low impedance phones work great with the higher quality tube amps.

I've also seen recommendations for the Meier line of amps and the Gilmore lite and GS-1. I was thinking about getting, say, the Meier Arietta. However, I'd definitely go for a tube amp like the Bada PH12, the MG Head DT/OTL MKIII, or maybe a Darkvoice if it'd be better in the long run.
It just seems like one can buy a better quality tube amp for less money than a solid state one of similar quaility.

Any more experienced people out there have some sage advice?

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #100 of 295
The Denons are current hogs (relatively speaking), I would rather go solid state. They have a tubey sound signature to begin with, so adding tubes may be too much of a good thing. They are incredibly transparent (as transparent as the R10), and will scale as high as you'd like to go.

I'm using a Rudistor RP010, and the combo is *perfectly* synergized with the mod-ed Denon. You can get a lot of the performance of the RP010 from the RPX-33, but that still is not a cheap amp and requires a high-end source. I haven't heard any of Rudi's lower ennd amps so can't comment on those. A Ray Samuels HR-2 I imagine would also have great synergy, and isn't too expensive as these things go.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #102 of 295
Thanks! How will they sound with a slightly warm (but great) source?

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #103 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all , i just got my D5000 today ....
the bass is too bomby... will it improve after burn-in?

Nope. Perform this mod, it will help some.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #104 of 295
Quote:

hi all , i just got my D5000 today ....
the bass is too bomby... will it improve after burn-in?

You are a good candidate for this mod.
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #105 of 295
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are a good candidate for this mod.
wink.gif

basically .. what is about your mod is to make the pad harder.. right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back