Mark Levinson is a fan of GoRedwings19!!!!
Dec 2, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #46 of 109
to answer red - the HP-2 is a low impedance can, but it is highly inefficient. you're probably finding yourself cranking the volume knob up more than you would with, say, the RS-1.

also, the HP-2 is a more neutral can than the RS-1. the warm nature of your source coupled with a neutral can may just not excite you. just like a lively source would make your RS-1 sound bright, perhaps screechy. it just so happens you've found a high-end version of Grado Synergy - lively active RS-1 with warm expansive source = your hat trick.

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #47 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
to answer red - the HP-2 is a low impedance can, but it is highly inefficient. you're probably finding yourself cranking the volume knob up more than you would with, say, the RS-1.

also, the HP-2 is a more neutral can than the RS-1. the warm nature of your source coupled with a neutral can may just not excite you. just like a lively source would make your RS-1 sound bright, perhaps screechy. it just so happens you've found a high-end version of Grado Synergy - lively active RS-1 with warm expansive source = your hat trick.

*Bam* Jahn I totally agree. It's a shame since it worked well in other systems. But in this one, it doesn't.

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #48 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Can any explain why this is? Is the hp-2's low or high impedance headphones?

If you have a multimeter - measure resistance between the plug terminals (Left Channel to ground and Right channel - ground). They should both be equal and the resistance reading is the impedance of the phones.

SR-60 = 32 ohms
Koss PP2 = 59 ohms

etc. etc.

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #49 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Since the products you have are no longer being produced, I wonder how the ML products that are still being produced (for example, that 390s that KR... pointed out) compare in sound to them?

As far as I know (but don't quote me) the 390s is the latest up to date cd player. It is a one box system. Mine is three. This helps produce the best possible results from the transport. But it comes at a premium price. Where as the 390s is aimed at the audiophille on a budget. I think the rrp for the 390s is about $6700. I was going to get one. But a headfier mentioned this combo to me for the ultimate in musicality. But then it comes at a stupidly expensive price. The transport rrp is $9000. The dac costs more! I think it is about $11000. The 390s is very good and gets you 95% of my combo.

Dec 3, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #50 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Since the products you have are no longer being produced, I wonder how the ML products that are still being produced (for example, that 390s that KR... pointed out) compare in sound to them?

I heard the other ML Dac (smaller one) and it was pretty damn amazing. I have never heard the current and only CDP.

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #51 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I heard the other ML Dac (smaller one) and it was pretty damn amazing. I have never heard the current and only CDP.

The 390s is very very good. The used priced for one starts at around $4400-$4500 up to $5000 for one in very good condition. This was the player I was originally looking for or a wadia 861.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #52 of 109
So how much did you actually pay for this combo? Just curious.

I'm also curious as to how you can stick to headphones after having owned nice speakers. Don't you miss the realism that speakers provide? Maybe the Dynaudio just wasn't your cup of tea. If I were you I'd start looking for the RS-1's speaker equivalent ASAP, but that's just me.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #53 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
So how much did you actually pay for this combo? Just curious.

I'm also curious as to how you can stick to headphones after having owned nice speakers. Don't you miss the realism that speakers provide? Maybe the Dynaudio just wasn't your cup of tea. If I were you I'd start looking for the RS-1's speaker equivalent ASAP, but that's just me.

I loved the dynaudios. They were truly great and the soundstaging and bass that only s apeaker can provide. But I find headphones more intimate, more personal. I did think about building another hi fi rig again but I prefer to finish my mini home cinema first.

This combo proved fairly cheap for what it is. Besides the UK £ is kicking the $ so it was a bargain to me.
rs1smile.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #54 of 109
i have a pair of dyns. one of the best speaker brands out there in my opinion. I have heard the full line from audience to eveidence master (80k a pair).

If you like dyns, try proac--amazing speakers, i loved them, perhaps even more than my dyns.

Sean

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #55 of 109
Something I've always wanted to do is to get a Mark Levinson CD system...and tear it to shreds. The engineer in me wants to see how the thing ticks, and figure out why it's so danged heavy. I'm sure the chassis is at least half of that, but still, I can't see the CD player I'm building being more than 20lbs.
blink.gif

Might end up seeing if they have any jobs available as of next year, since I'll be out in the working world officially at that point. Still have a thesis to finish writing before then.
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #56 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Something I've always wanted to do is to get a Mark Levinson CD system...and tear it to shreds. The engineer in me wants to see how the thing ticks, and figure out why it's so danged heavy. I'm sure the chassis is at least half of that, but still, I can't see the CD player I'm building being more than 20lbs.
blink.gif

Might end up seeing if they have any jobs available as of next year, since I'll be out in the working world officially at that point. Still have a thesis to finish writing before then.
tongue.gif

Well as far as I know the lid of the ML transport 31 is made out of slate and not metal. i suppose this to reject magnetic and electrical interference. It's thick and most be heavy. It weighs about 50lb in weight the transport but the dac is heavier.

Dec 3, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #57 of 109
Prices? I don't know what GoRedwings19 paid for them and he doesn't want to say and I repect that. For others who may want to get themselves a pair here are the current going prices:

Doing a search on Audiogon got my some prices:

Mark Levinson 30.6 dac,original,mint = $7,900
Mark Levinson 30.6 dac = $7,900

Mark Levinson 31 Transport = $3,200

Mark Levinson CD 31.5 , DAC 30.5 220-240V = $13,000

BTW, the retail prices were:

Mark Levinson 31 Transport = $8950
Mark Levinson 30.6 dac = $17,000

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #58 of 109
Quote:

Prices? I don't know what GoRedwings19 paid for them and he doesn't want to say and I repect that. For others who may want to get themselves a pair here are the current going prices:

Doing a search on Audiogon got my some prices:

Mark Levinson 30.6 dac,original,mint = $7,900
Mark Levinson 30.6 dac = $7,900

Mark Levinson 31 Transport = $3,200

Mark Levinson CD 31.5 , DAC 30.5 220-240V = $13,000

BTW, the retail prices were:

Mark Levinson 31 Transport = $8950
Mark Levinson 30.6 dac = $17,000

Dude, people wil be able to work out how much I spent!!!!
icon10.gif
But I still think it is worth it.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #59 of 109
Just discovered the transport remembers the program play settings for every disc inserted. Don't know if any other cd players do this but it is well cool.
rs1smile.gif

The earmax pro anniversary is firing on all cylinders now is amazing with this combo, but the very limited functionality of the amp is proving to be its shortfall

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #60 of 109
Quote:

Was the ML dac you heard the 360s or the no. 36. The 360s I hear is very good. Although I have never heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back