Mark Levinson is a fan of GoRedwings19!!!!
Dec 1, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #31 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
LOL, that is one of my all time favorite movie lines.
cool.gif

That ML line is built like a tank.
It should give you many years of service.
(it's a shame they don't build them like that anymore.)

Great find.

I know, mark levinson has given up on CD and are now an video company.
frown.gif

They do still make the :

No. 390S Compact Disc Processor

390SAD_lo.jpg

Dec 2, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #34 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
And that is what it's all about, IMO. Thanks for the description. I'm perfectly satisfied w/ my NuVista for my headphone system. But if I ever save the money to build a great speaker system, I'll definitely audition this ML gear to use as the source. Congrats on finding your dream source, gotta be a great feeling.

Well there are a lot of high end sytems but unfortunately they rob the music of its "musicality". It's not the manufacturers fault as this is how the music really sounds. When I bought the DCS combo it was accurate to the recording and that is why I didn't like it as much as the tri-vista. The tri-vista really impressed me with its redbook ability and it sounded so sweet. But when you stuck it in sacd mode it was like a different player altogether and blew my mind. The Mark Levinson was recommended by another headfier who said if I was really into the music and not the system then this was the combo to go for. I was also warned that it would not come cheap. But I got lucky and found one cheaper than what I would pay in the UK, much cheaper. I cannot begin to describe what this player achieves that the other two high end cd players could not do for me. It is like every cd I stick in is like the tri-vista sacd mode and more. Most people would think I am nuts for doing what I did. But I rather thought of as nuts if I get to listen to it every night. I wish I could attend a meet one day and ship the ML over for a meet. Then hopefully people would have their faith restored in ordainary cd. Hi fi this isn't, but it is headfi where musicality matters. I hope that every headfier can find their own dream cd player. Kindest Regards

Dec 2, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #35 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Good point.
rs1smile.gif

They sure are fantastic looking gears! I'm just astonished they weigh as much as I do.

They ARE heavier than me!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #36 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
LOL. I did the exact same thing. Except the seller was from Singapore but tried to sell it on Audiogon.

You must have paid more for the shipping than the gear then, right?
biggrin.gif

No because the seller couldn't shift the 240 v version of the ML then he charged me $300 if I remember correctly. This was for shipping.

Dec 2, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #38 of 109
I've never been to the UK. I think I just found a reason.
biggrin.gif
I can't get over how beautiful that gear is. If it sounds half as good as it looks you got a winner.

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #39 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I've never been to the UK. I think I just found a reason.
biggrin.gif
I can't get over how beautiful that gear is. If it sounds half as good as it looks you got a winner.

Well it sounds better than my DCS, It sounds better than my mu-fi tri-vista in sacd mode. It sounds better than a linn cd12 I once lent. But it is even better thru my RS-1's. Why? Because of the soundstage and warmth the ML posesses it passes it on to the rs-1's. Since getting the ML I have only tried the hp-2's once and the senn hd600 once. It's been
rs1smile.gif
all the way. It's the ML musicality and the rs-1 colouration which makes me feel the way I do about the combo. But even better than the ML and rs-1 combo is the headfi commuinity who helped me to make the decision. So from the bottom of my heart and beyond.

[size=xx-large]Thank you headfiers[/size].

I owe each one of you my warmest and sincerest gratitude. Oh nearly forgot. Thanks to Michael who told me about the ML combo. You know who you are.

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #41 of 109
I can't put the cd transport in my rack. The motorised top lid goes all the way to 80 degrees. The only way I can do it is if I move my plasma display off the av rack and put the transport on that. But then I would have nowhere to put the plasma unless I wall mount it. But that means a major reshuffle of the room.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #42 of 109
I have a terrible confession to make. I don't like the hp-2's with the ML sytem!!!
eek.gif

In my tri-vista system there was nothing wrong with it. But in this sytem the ML highlights the flaws. Everyone knows about the flaws about the HP-2's but in the ML system it really shows big time. Problem is I really like the look and the condition they are in. Worst thing is I have the HP-1's as well which are similar in sonic qualities. It sounds like the senns only a little better overall with the grace. But with the earmax anniv it is bleeeeeurgh. For some reason the RS-1's excel to a level I never heard them at. Yes I am a big grado fan. But good is good and crap is crap. I have been burning in the earmax anniv and it is starting to show what it really can do. Compared to the grace the earmax has a fuller bass and midrange so sweet. Don't know how much longer burn in will take. With the earmax's I usually find around the 130-150 hr mark you are getting most of the potential. I have already clocked up about 30 hours on it. The ML can output all signals regardless at the same time. Yet regardless of which amp I use the rs-1 has really come alive with the ML. Does anyone else have a similar high end warm cd player who can confirm this. I am now facing decisions over headphones, something I never considered untill now. I never knew the Rs-1 could get better until now. Can any explain why this is? Is the hp-2's low or high impedance headphones?

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #43 of 109
Wow, absolutely superb new equipment you have, I'm completely jealous. I would love to own that ML gear, but sadly, this stuff is wayyyyyy beyond me ever being able to afford it, even used, methinks.
Steve Yzerman couldnt do any better in buying a system! My compliments!

JC

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #44 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Wow, absolutely superb new equipment you have, I'm completely jealous. I would love to own that ML gear, but sadly, this stuff is wayyyyyy beyond me ever being able to afford it, even used, methinks.
Steve Yzerman couldnt do any better in buying a system! My compliments!

JC

They don't make these anymore. And I paid way less than what I would pay in the UK. I suppose in a moment of madness if I decided to sell them in the UK. I probably make a nice profit. But the units are in very good condition with the smallest paint chips you have seen ever. Is it beyond your means????? Think about it. I probably earn less than you. It's just my circumstances are different to yours that is why I am able to afford it. Are you married? Do you have kids? Do you have your own house? Will your wife let you buy it? Also the main criteria for me when I but stuff is how far are you willing to go? This is a dream come true for me and never in my wildest dreams would I ever thought I would get something like this. Yes it costs a lot of money but I wouldn't spend that kind of money equivalent on a car. I rather use the bus.

But anyway keep your dream alive and hopefully it will happen....and soon. Kind Regards

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #45 of 109
Since the products you have are no longer being produced, I wonder how the ML products that are still being produced (for example, that 390s that KR... pointed out) compare in sound to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back