Mark Levinson is a fan of GoRedwings19!!!!
Dec 9, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #91 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I would like the ps-1's but hopefully I should be getting the sony R-10's and see how that works in my system. Although I must admit the qualia headphone is starting to intrigue me.

If you like the Grado sound you should really try the PS-1's

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #92 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I know, mark levinson has given up on CD and are now an video company.
frown.gif

Actually, ML hasn't totally given up on CD - he's just moved on from Madrigal. You can find his new line of stuff at Red Rose Music. I've heard some of his lower-end stuff from Red Rose...it's impressive to say the least.

GoRedwings...wow, that is some sweeeet gear. This is just the thread I needed to see - finals week is coming up, and I needed motivation to do well - I figure, if I do well this semester, that means I'll be better positioned to get a good job and afford stuff like that eventually.

For now, I guess I'll be happy with my iPod connected to my Senns...

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #93 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
Actually, ML hasn't totally given up on CD - he's just moved on from Madrigal. You can find his new line of stuff at Red Rose Music. I've heard some of his lower-end stuff from Red Rose...it's impressive to say the least.

GoRedwings...wow, that is some sweeeet gear. This is just the thread I needed to see - finals week is coming up, and I needed motivation to do well - I figure, if I do well this semester, that means I'll be better positioned to get a good job and afford stuff like that eventually.

I was refering to mark levinson the company not the man, mark levinson the man hasn't been with mark levinson the compnay in ages, he was fired. Red Rose are just relabeled chinese products by Korsun.

compare the red rose stuff with this http://www.korsun.com.cn/

The difference is the korsun products were released 1st in China long before they are released here and that they are many times less expensive.

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #94 of 109
Quote:

I was refering to mark levinson the company not the man, mark levinson the man hasn't been with mark levinson the compnay in ages, he was fired. Red Rose are just relabeled chinese products by Korsun.

compare the red rose stuff with this http://www.korsun.com.cn/

The difference is the korsun products were released 1st in China long before they are released here and that they are many times less expensive.

I hear the actual man is a complete ass. The products however kick ass
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #96 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c

Why do you have to do well? I didn't
eek.gif

I got kicked out of university for drinking too much and failing all my exams
eek.gif

The difference is that I am very driven to attain the goals I set myself, that's all. I don't know anything technical so I can't admire the engineering and electrical genius of the combo. All I know is that it sounds good to me.

Good luck with your exams, but if it goes belly up at the last gasp, don't worry. These things have a way of working themselves out. You'll see. Kindest regards. Remember just be
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #97 of 109
Quote:

Well, I do not think that your DAC and Transport was even design by him, I belive he was fired long ago before those two were made.

That's right KR. I remember reading this a few years ago. Their products got better IMO after he left. He is a genius and a great amp designer. But as a person he is still a ass no matter what hi-fi skills he got.

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #98 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
If you like the Grado sound you should really try the PS-1's

If I get the chance I will. Thanks for the advice. I like to see what they bring compared to my fave headphone the rs-1's.

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #100 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by isp
I don't know too much about Mark Levinson's stuff, but it looks really expensive! I'm sure it sounds amazing. Enjoy man... enjoy
rs1smile.gif

If you are interested in a similar aetup. Go on to the audiogon website and enter mark levinson into the search field. Then look for the exact model numbers as mine. Then if you are interested get in touch with the sellers. Hopefully you can get a good deal. Don't use
600smile.gif
use the best
rs1smile.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #101 of 109
GoRedwings19, you're really lightning up an old flame now.

The first high-end setup i ever heard, and which got me into the audiophile world, was a B&W 802 on an ML amp, and exactly your sources. Back then, i promised myself that one day i would own a similar setup.

Although i didn't understand much of quality audio back then. i was immediately thrown back into my seat by the setups awesome ability to resolve music, to show details of every passage, and still make it miraculously fit it all together.

I only remember a glimpse of what i have heard back then, on that 1hour listening session 7 years ago, but it still remains my ideal setup to attain.

Thanks for your descriptions and pictures, it really revived memories for me
600smile.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #102 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by noir
GoRedwings19, you're really lightning up an old flame now.

The first high-end setup i ever heard, and which got me into the audiophile world, was a B&W 802 on an ML amp, and exactly your sources. Back then, i promised myself that one day i would own a similar setup.

Although i didn't understand much of quality audio back then. i was immediately thrown back into my seat by the setups awesome ability to resolve music, to show details of every passage, and still make it miraculously fit it all together.

I only remember a glimpse of what i have heard back then, on that 1hour listening session 7 years ago, but it still remains my ideal setup to attain.

Thanks for your descriptions and pictures, it really revived memories for me
600smile.gif

It has been a pleasure to share this with you headfiers and thanks for all the compliments. I never intended to get this system and stumbled on it by accident.

A family friend wants to lend this over christmas and I have agreed. In return he is letting me lend his cd player. It's a linn ikemi. Can anyone tell me what this is like?

I think he wants to buy it but I am not going to sell. I got it at a great price and in immaculate condition.

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #105 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-fi has a fetish for chinese equipment, I think it has something to do with price.

The price, yes! Price, build quality, parts quality, thinking outside the box, great looking, great sounding, and the fact that a good percentage of western hifi gear is either manufactured in or with parts from China means you skip the middle man. The Meier Corda Opera is made by shanling. Many high end Euro gear is made by the Chinese then re-badged and sold at three times the price! So I guess it could be said that some of us have a thing for Chinese gear rather that paying 300% percent more to be patriotic. Also, many of the designers in the west are actually Asians living here and building. Take a good look at where your equipment is made, you might be a fan of Chinese gear and don't even realize it!

That said, if the best value for a component in price/performance is made in Albania, Angola, or the Kingdom of Tonga, people will buy. Unless you are looking for a status symbol, why wouldn't you want to save money? If you have that much to throw away I will buy some Chinese gear and put it in a new chassis and then sell it to you at 300% mark-up! Then with that money I could eat as well as buy hi-end gear from the Chinese! I am relatively poor, but that does not mean I should have to listen to crap! Thankfully the Chinese are selling their gear here now instead of keeping it all to them selves. A lot of these companies have been around for years and many have inspired western designers too!

Why do so many people believe that China=crap... Most American cars cannot be sold in China because they are not good enough for their standards! What makes you think that the rest of their products don't follow the same lead. It has been said for a couple of years now that most of the new Chinese consumers that are benefiting from China's growing economy are driving a revolution in all areas of exotic products! You see, most Chinese with disposable income don't want more, they just want better or so the stats dictate!

Congratulations on the great gear GoRedwings! I myself will never justify the expense, so DIY and value leading Chinese gear is as good as I will see in my house! Even if I win the lottery! I would rather than replicate music, go and hear it live!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back