Marantz HD-DAC1
May 15, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #901 of 1,283
Every time someone posts a picture of the silver version I get so envious. It's so damned sharp looking. I wonder if I could find a silver one in the US for a reasonable price...

It is stupid that Marantz doesn't sell the silver one in the USA. I hate it when companies make decisions like that. And I am surprised at the prices I've been seeing here. I paid 64,550 yen for it on Amazon Japan. That is about $603 USD. Wait...

Look at this. I found a silver one (imported from Japan) on USA Amazon for $758 USD. Only three left:
https://www.amazon.com/MARANTZ-USB-...words=HD-DAC1&qid=1557978893&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #902 of 1,283
Have any of you guys tried the HD-DAC1 with a separate valve headphone amp such as the DarkVoice 336SE? or maybe one of the Little Dot range?
If so, how did it compare to the inbuilt headphone amp? I am asking because I have owned a HD-DAC1 for some time now and absolutely love it, but i'm curious to know if any tangible improvement can be made by adding a reasonably priced headphone amp?

Maybe another route is the Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X Headphone Amplifier or some other amp, what are your views?
Should I just stick with the stock Marantz and save my cash?

I'm running it with a pair of Mrspeakers Alpha Primes, and does this combo work!

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #903 of 1,283
Would this DAC1 be an upgrade or downgrade over the THX789 which I have now? in Canada the DAC1 is $1,100 + tax.

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #904 of 1,283
Would this DAC1 be an upgrade or downgrade over the THX789 which I have now? in Canada the DAC1 is $1,100 + tax.
I too would like to now if the HD-DAC1 would be worth having especially since it has recently sold for $499 by B&H a few times here in the US. Folks in this forum like this unit a lot, and I have always been an admirer or Marantz products in general.

To compare to the DROP + THX AAA 789 is pretty much an apple and oranges thing as the 789 is an amp only, and known for its power, and balanced output, and non-colored/sterile amplification ability . I own the 789 and its overall output SQ depends on the source materiel ie DAC IMO.

The DAC1 has an older Cirrus CS4398 flagship DAC; not necessarily a bad thing, and significantly less power 800mW / 32 ohm, again not necessarily a bad thing as I have amps in this power range that easily drive my 600 ohm HPs Compared to the 789 which has a rated balanced power output of 6000 mW, 32 ohms, one can see how spec wise this is really and apples oranges thing.

Maybe someone actually has both and can compare using the same DAC input; which combo makes you smile.

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #905 of 1,283
I decided to purchase a new Headphone Amp, and was looking for affordable Quality.

I recently purchased the Marantz HD-CD1, and what do you know, i got a free CD player with the Headphone Amp.

I wanted to give you my impressions, just in case you want a great Headphone Amp and can deal with it being the size of a CD Player.
This unit also has some heft. Its not light as a feather. Not at all.

Here are my Impressions..

CD loader is dead quiet and smooth. Feels substantial and Pro.
The build quality of the unit........ The word "Tank" comes to mind.
To the eye, the HD-CD1 is very pleasing, has a refined sleek look. As if it was made by Porsche or BMW.
I realize that many Audiophiles equate "new tech" with "best", and sometimes that is reality..
But sometimes great is enough, and there is no need for "newest".
= So,it is with this Gear. Its not a 2020 model, but it is a fine machine.
I have an Oppo player that costs much much more then this Marantz, and the Oppo is sweet, but this Marantz is so much more REfined...
Most who know about this unit know that its created to be used with the HD-Dac 1. However, i was just looking for something great
that is affordable., and that is a simple headphone amp. And i made a wise purchase..
Reviews on this unit are mostly Steller, and my short review of the Heaphone amp goes like this...

How does this unit present its Sonics ?

Well, it sounds great. This is Tyll type gear sound.
Remember Him?
This is $1200 USD sound for about $400 USD.
Frequency wise, it doesn't do anything wrong.
The Bass has punch, clarity, and extension.
Trebles are sweet, profound, and lovely.
Midrange is warmth meets clinical, analytical meets elegant.
Resolution is Euridite.
Ive heard nothing in this price range or 2x the Price range that can touch this Masterpiece.
This is a sonically dialed in Gem.
There is something in the overall tonality that just makes music glow.
I can hear the HD-CD1's Engineering speaking this language.... Lets start with clinical analytical, and then lets add in the warmth and sweetness, and top it off with extension and elegance.
This is not a $400 toy. This is the good stuff, and its affordable. This is s true Hi Performance budget box.
This is the type of gear that makes me wish i was just starting out on my Quest to be an Audiophile, and i was wondering what i should buy ....first.

Specs :

• plays CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, plus MP3, WMA, and AAC CDs
  • high-performance 192kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter
  • double-layered metal bottom plate for vibration resistance
  • centralized disc mechanism resists vibration for improved sound quality
  • Marantz HDAM® (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module)-SA2 used in analog circuitry for faster signal transfer and better transient response
  • robust, high-current power supply for rich, dynamic sound
  • optical and coaxial digital outputs
  • gold-plated stereo analog RCA output
  • built-in headphone amplifier with full-size headphone jack and volume control
  • remote control input/output (for use with Marantz receivers and amps with a compatible remote control in/out jack)
  • remote control
  • detachable power cable
  • frequency response: 2-20,000 Hz
  • dynamic range: 100 dB
  • signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
  • total harmonic distortion: 0.002%
  • 12"W x 4-5/16"H x 12-5/16"D
  • weight: 12.6 lbs.
  • warranty: 3 years
Also.
The CD door on mine is Black, unlike the photos that i borrowed from Marantz.
Also, the color of the wood is much darker, and the color of the "black" body in person, is much darker. These photos are highly lit to show you more detail. The Machine in person is much prettier.

-
Z mar.png
-

-
Z mar 1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #906 of 1,283
Have any of you guys tried the HD-DAC1 with a separate valve headphone amp such as the DarkVoice 336SE? or maybe one of the Little Dot range?
If so, how did it compare to the inbuilt headphone amp? I am asking because I have owned a HD-DAC1 for some time now and absolutely love it, but i'm curious to know if any tangible improvement can be made by adding a reasonably priced headphone amp?

Maybe another route is the Massdrop Cavalli Liquid Carbon X Headphone Amplifier or some other amp, what are your views?
Should I just stick with the stock Marantz and save my cash?

I'm running it with a pair of Mrspeakers Alpha Primes, and does this combo work!

I'm running an Aune X7S from the variable out on my HD-DAC1 and absolutely love it (variable out so that I can still use the remote). I picked up the X7S from MassDrop for 180 USD to run some of my headphones with balanced cables.

Like the HD-DAC1, the X7S has a warm sound signature and, surprisingly, it improved the sound of my AQ Nighthawks significantly. I don't even use the singled-end headphone out on the X7S, though; I think the singled-end out on HD-DAC1 beats it.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #907 of 1,283
I'm running an Aune X7S from the variable out on my HD-DAC1 and absolutely love it (variable out so that I can still use the remote). I picked up the X7S from MassDrop for 180 USD to run some of my headphones with balanced cables.

Like the HD-DAC1, the X7S has a warm sound signature and, surprisingly, it improved the sound of my AQ Nighthawks significantly. I don't even use the singled-end headphone out on the X7S, though; I think the singled-end out on HD-DAC1 beats it.

I know the sound you are talking about....:)
Its good stuff.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #908 of 1,283
@FullBright1 Nice find. From the inputs it does not appear that the HD-CD1 could be used as a HP Amp for anything but the CD Player. There are no audio inputs to use it as a stand alone Amp or am I missing something?

Yes, I remember many of Tyll's reviews; hadn't realized he retired....looks as if he is "On the Road Again".

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #909 of 1,283
@FullBright1 Nice find. From the inputs it does not appear that the HD-CD1 could be used as a HP Amp for anything but the CD Player. There are no audio inputs to use it as a stand alone Amp or am I missing something?

Yes, I remember many of Tyll's reviews; hadn't realized he retired....looks as if he is "On the Road Again".

Headphone amp out, or L<>R Out.

This is a simple CD player with a headphone jack.

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #910 of 1,283

Thanks for the 'heads-up', I love the sound of my DAC-1 but a few owners have been critical of the head amp section.
I'll keep an eye out for a used X7S here in the UK, I don't want to spend too much in case I end up with a 'side grade' as opposed to an 'upgrade'.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #911 of 1,283
FYI. I have the HD-DAC1. I love its sound. At the same I bought the Marantz I also bought a mobile player - the IBASSO DX-120, and let me tell you...it has that same Marantz sound. Some nights I will switch between the two and they sound so much alike that I can't tell any difference at all. So if you want that Marantz HD-DAC1 sound when you are out and about I suggest giving the IBASSO DX-120 a try.

(My headphones are the excellent Audio-Technica MSR7b)

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #912 of 1,283
FYI. I have the HD-DAC1. I love its sound. At the same I bought the Marantz I also bought a mobile player - the IBASSO DX-120, and let me tell you...it has that same Marantz sound. Some nights I will switch between the two and they sound so much alike that I can't tell any difference at all. So if you want that Marantz HD-DAC1 sound when you are out and about I suggest giving the IBASSO DX-120 a try.

(My headphones are the excellent Audio-Technica MSR7b)

Its a great gear.
I bought it only for the Headphone "out", and its very very good.
Most people here, probably buy and download files, but i only use actual CDs i purchase, so for me, this gear is perfect.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #913 of 1,283
Its a great gear.
I bought it only for the Headphone "out", and its very very good.
Most people here, probably buy and download files, but i only use actual CDs i purchase, so for me, this gear is perfect.

@FullBright1,

Sadly, hard to get decent CDs where I am, especially the good ones, either too expensive or just not available...
If only I could get well priced vinyl...pretty much the same story as CDs nor do I have space to store said possible vinyl...oh well...

Keep being awesome !

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #914 of 1,283
@FullBright1,

Sadly, hard to get decent CDs where I am, especially the good ones, either too expensive or just not available...
If only I could get well priced vinyl...pretty much the same story as CDs nor do I have space to store said possible vinyl...oh well...

Keep being awesome !

Yes i understand..
Its probably a lot smarter to just download hi-rez files.
Its certainly more convenient.
But im a bit un-evolved when it comes to downloads.
I just enjoy the visceral pleasure of touching the music product, as well as hearing it.
I need the experience of looking at the photos, and reading the lyrics and information, as well as holding unto the actual product, as well as hearing it.
Im sorry you have no easy solution that allows you quick and convenient access to the same.
It has become a bit more difficult to find, what i consider, well crafted well executed well produced music.
There is so much of it now...so, many people putting out music.....its a flood, and this flood has lowered the overall standard, the overall quality.
Also, music is sold by Videos, .....and this allows for the video to sell what the music could not, if all you had was access to the TUNES.
A lot of really well crafted Videos, sell a whole lot of very bad music.
Jazz, Bluegrass, Classical, still worry about quality.......Pop and Rock.......not so much.
Remember when you had ... Elton John, Billy Joel, The Police ?
Or you had a Mariah Carey, or a Whitney Houston....
There was this era, where i live, that is called, From 1964 - 1986. And that was for me, where i find the great music........Pop Music, well crafted songs and people that could really sing.
I do listen to contemporary "pop" music, ......but, i dont find a lot that i feel is great songwriting and great productions.
There was a time, when the rule was......3-4 really good songs on an album.
Now, there is one, and that is the one they release 4 months before the album comes out, and the rest are not good.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #915 of 1,283
Yes i understand..
Its probably a lot smarter to just download hi-rez files.
Its certainly more convenient.
But im a bit un-evolved when it comes to downloads.
I just enjoy the visceral pleasure of touching the music product, as well as hearing it.
I need the experience of looking at the photos, and reading the lyrics and information, as well as holding unto the actual product, as well as hearing it.
Im sorry you have no easy solution that allows you quick and convenient access to the same.
It has become a bit more difficult to find, what i consider, well crafted well executed well produced music.
There is so much of it now...so, many people putting out music.....its a flood, and this flood has lowered the overall standard, the overall quality.
Also, music is sold by Videos, .....and this allows for the video to sell what the music could not, if all you had was access to the TUNES.
A lot of really well crafted Videos, sell a whole lot of very bad music.
Jazz, Bluegrass, Classical, still worry about quality.......Pop and Rock.......not so much.
Remember when you had ... Elton John, Billy Joel, The Police ?
Or you had a Mariah Carey, or a Whitney Houston....
There was this era, where i live, that is called, From 1964 - 1986. And that was for me, where i find the great music........Pop Music, well crafted songs and people that could really sing.
I do listen to contemporary "pop" music, ......but, i dont find a lot that i feel is great songwriting and great productions.
There was a time, when the rule was......3-4 really good songs on an album.
Now, there is one, and that is the one they release 4 months before the album comes out, and the rest are not good.

Hi @FullBright1,

It seems we keep sharing the same or at least similar perspectives & viewpoints.
In all honesty, not sure how high res some downloaded music is though the quality overall is decent to good...which is inline with my tag used in the signature line though sometimes, depending on how the original is mixed & mastered, sometimes one just has to live with it.
Saying that, iTunes, as much as people want to complain, pitchfork, etc...is helping redeem the market, so to speak, which is why even now Amazon, among others has jumped on the bandwagon, etc...
The only perhaps ironic this about this is any limited or special editions one may seek to own are actually ownable but in digital form which is how things end up eventually anyway...so go figure, right...

There is something about the tangible, isn't there...
Used to be all about the tactile experience which extended to the hearing of said music product though sometimes a lot of that was just filler after a while & given the exchange rate, sometimes those packages turned out 3 times more than they should.
At least, when the exchange rate is reasonable, any really tempted by for that tangibility can at least be considered...
Personally, it is the feeling & emotion in the music which means more to me & sometimes as we discussed before, how the frequency range can relate to colours which people get even less than that feeling & emotion.
Not sure if you noticed but a while back, some of my posts in the LCD 1 got deleted as someone didn't think it was relevant...don't really care about that though it shows how sad the current human condition can be but I digress...

Yes, there is so much music, too much in some cases which I agree & unfortunately like most things in life, unless it's sought after or known then it can get potentially 'lost' in the flood of to put it bluntly...crap...

Hardly watch music videos any more but I do understand what you mean, though more often than not, the video, while looking pretty or well crafted as you say is also mostly terrible for various reasons whether the music is bad or not, though I do agree on the former...

On my end, subjectively minor problem with the era you listen to is I have heard it so much over the years, when CDs were still going strong, I find it hard to listen to again for any extended length of time which is not a bad thing.
My main eras for listening tend to be 40's to 70's Jazz (though lean more on John Coltrane in recent years) & a lot of Ludovico Einaudi, along with Joss Stone, Lindsay Stirling, though I still listen to most other genres compared to most...other than yourself...
I may be flamed at some point but personally, especially at audio shows, I think there is too much Nirvana & Coldplay still hyped to death & beyond with now some New Country being thrown in the mix...
If I wanted to listen to any of that, I pick Roger Waters as he does actual listenable covers.

Early release of good music, that 3 to 4 or even 1 now is very true I have also found though sometimes not even an album is produced but limited EPs which don't amount to much sadly...

As always, keep up the great insights !

One day, be interesting to have a proper conversation with you either online or offline though till that happens, keep being amazingly awesome !

PDL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back