Magni 3 Impressions
Feb 3, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #2,326 of 2,593
Many peoples hearing is altered due to damage from work or loud concerts--if you've attended one raucous concert, your hearing is permanently damaged. But the HD 6XX are a very popular headphone based on cost vs. return. I A/B'd them at Canjam on the same DAC AMP combo to be absolutely sure, and they are good sounding headphones, in fact they sound similar to my Sony's, but for my hearing my Sony's were better because I couldn't stand the bright sound of the HD 6XX's. It shouldn't be hard to believe that some people find certain combos unlistenable. Our hearing does vary THAT MUCH.

After looking at the DFR's specs, I would definitely, suggest getting a Magni 3 because it will serve as a great platform to try other headphones in the future. And will obviously, supply copious amounts of power compared to the DFR by itself, which is important with many headphones. AND it can be used as a pre-amp for amplifiers. Lots of bonuses involved.

It makes a great pre amp for powered monitors. I have a cheap set of Logitec 2.1 computer speakers. The magni and modi combo makes them sound much better then just running off the phone or PC like I did in years past.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #2,327 of 2,593
Many peoples hearing is altered due to damage from work or loud concerts--if you've attended one raucous concert, your hearing is permanently damaged. But the HD 6XX are a very popular headphone based on cost vs. return. I A/B'd them at Canjam on the same DAC AMP combo to be absolutely sure, and they are good sounding headphones, in fact they sound similar to my Sony's, but for my hearing my Sony's were better because I couldn't stand the bright sound of the HD 6XX's. It shouldn't be hard to believe that some people find certain combos unlistenable. Our hearing does vary THAT MUCH.

After looking at the DFR's specs, I would definitely, suggest getting a Magni 3 because it will serve as a great platform to try other headphones in the future. And will obviously, supply copious amounts of power compared to the DFR by itself, which is important with many headphones. AND it can be used as a pre-amp for amplifiers. Lots of bonuses involved.
I've been at only few concerts without hearing protection in my early days but now I'm using Etymotic protection and I have a very quiet neighborhood and work place and my hearing is good, actually in real life I'm more sensitive to sharp noises than others I know, I mean even before my first loud environment. But in your case if I understand it correctly the HD 6XX is too bright regardless of the source devices so for me the Magni 3 probably wouldn't change that I don't find it harsh.

Yes, it's a great device that I want to keep, very convenient that it directly connects to USB and no additional cable needed. I just can't find that many options that are available to me, Schiit has good distributors in Europe while others who have options are not and even picking Schiit it's not worth to send it back due the shipping costs so that's why I want it to be good for me, not that it would be hard to sell locally. For the same reason I don't want tube amp, if it requires a new tube then I can only order for absurd shipping costs, no local options to buy new one.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,329 of 2,593
Anyone use a pre-amp with the Magni 3, or use it as a pre-amp? I find it is too loud for my taste but like its sound, I'm hoping maybe pre-amping it will help.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,330 of 2,593
Anyone use a pre-amp with the Magni 3, or use it as a pre-amp? I find it is too loud for my taste but like its sound, I'm hoping maybe pre-amping it will help.
You would not use a preamp with the Magni 3, because it is a preamp. I have used it as a preamp and it works well as long as you don't need remote level control.

How can the Magni 3 be too loud in low gain with the volume knob turned down? I don't understand.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #2,331 of 2,593
You would not use a preamp with the Magni 3, because it is a preamp. I have used it as a preamp and it works well as long as you don't need remote level control.

How can the Magni 3 be too loud in low gain with the volume knob turned down? I don't understand.

It is too loud with low-gain for my ears - any lower and I lose the left channel. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about though, pretty new to hifi audio.

Edit: I see now that pre-amps are for desktop powered monitors generally, I was thinking it was something I could put before the headphone amp as another volume control.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #2,332 of 2,593
I was thinking it was something I could put before the headphone amp as another volume control.
Sounds like your Magni volume pot is not up to scratch. Mine goes very low before losing a channel.
What DAC are you using? If it's a Dragonfly, these are made to attenuate after your DAC and before your amp: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=iematch

Probably the easiest and cheapest solution would be control software that allows level control, e.g foobar2000.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,333 of 2,593
Sounds like your Magni volume pot is not up to scratch. Mine goes very low before losing a channel.
What DAC are you using? If it's a Dragonfly, these are made to attenuate after your DAC and before your amp: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=iematch

Probably the easiest and cheapest solution would be control software that allows level control, e.g foobar2000.

I use a Topping D10 DAC, but I still may try an attenuator! Thanks!

Edit: How would I use this between the DAC and amp, if my DAC to AMP is through RCA?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,334 of 2,593
I use a Topping D10 DAC, but I still may try an attenuator! Thanks!

Edit: How would I use this between the DAC and amp, if my DAC to AMP is through RCA?

The reason I asked about a Dragonfly is because it has a mini-jack. Your DAC is RCA out, so you'll need two sets of adapters to go from RCA to mini and back to RCA. Along with the attenuator, that's a lot of junk in the signal chain. I wouldn't be happy with it. I made an attenuting RCA interconnect once, but there may be commercial ones available. I would use these if faced with your issue: https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator-x/dp/B0006N41B0

What software are you using?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,335 of 2,593
The reason I asked about a Dragonfly is because it has a mini-jack. Your DAC is RCA out, so you'll need two sets of adapters to go from RCA to mini and back to RCA. Along with the attenuator, that's a lot of junk in the signal chain. I wouldn't be happy with it. I made an attenuting RCA interconnect once, but there may be commercial ones available.

What software are you using?

I use FooBar and Spotify - through PEACE equalizer which I use as a "Pre-Amp" already, usually -15 db. I think I will skip that bundle of wires haha. I do have a DragonFly Black, but I use it primarily with my IEMs as the Magni 3 is just too strong.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #2,336 of 2,593
I use FooBar and Spotify - through PEACE equalizer which I use as a "Pre-Amp" already, usually -15 db. I think I will skip that bundle of wires haha. I do have a DragonFly Black, but I use it primarily with my IEMs as the Magni 3 is just too strong.

Have you tried lowering the volume of whatever you are using to feed the topping dac? I use Spotify via phone, laptop and Google chromecast.
Try turning the volume to 75 or 50 percent on your source device.

Feb 7, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #2,337 of 2,593

[...]

Do you think it can be a good idea to use the Magni 3 as a preamp for the Vali 2 ?

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,338 of 2,593
Do you think it can be a good idea to use the Magni 3 as a preamp for the Vali 2 ?
No, I don't think so. You'd be going; preamp (Magni), interconnect, preamp (Vali), headphone amp (Vali). It's redundant.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,339 of 2,593
I use it primarily with my IEMs as the Magni 3 is just too strong.

No wonder you have problems; the Magni deals in hundreds to thousands of milliwatts, and your IEM's likely, handle only tens of milliwatts. Although, I was able to use my Skullcandy ink'd Smokin' buds (IEM's @ 16-Ohms, 70 mW max) but they are so bass-heavy that I couldn't handle listening to them. They paired well with previous rigs that were lacking in low end because they made up for it.

Maybe you would be better suited with some form of cMoy variant.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,340 of 2,593
No wonder you have problems; the Magni deals in hundreds to thousands of milliwatts, and your IEM's likely, handle only tens of milliwatts.
That is not likely the issue. I can play my Sennheiser HD1 and Beyerdynamic Byron in-ears at very low volume through the Magni.

I believe ckvp either has an abnormal sensitivity to volume, or his Magni is defective, or something upstream is causing this issue (i.e. PEACE equalizer).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back