Magni 3 Impressions
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #2,296 of 2,593
Has anyone compared a Magni 3/ Modi 2 , to a Jot? Which sounds better? Noise Floor? Blackness? So on.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,297 of 2,593
If it truly is a line out then it's not double amping. If it's where you plug the headphone in then it's double amping.
Thanks for the help. Just fired up my magni 3 using my topping nx4 as a dedicated DAC. Headphones are nightowls for the time being. Sound is amazing. Big improvement over the topping alone. So, does anyone thing adding a modi in lieu of the topping will provide any meaningful improvement in sq?

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,298 of 2,593
Thanks for the help. Just fired up my magni 3 using my topping nx4 as a dedicated DAC. Headphones are nightowls for the time being. Sound is amazing. Big improvement over the topping alone. So, does anyone thing adding a modi in lieu of the topping will provide any meaningful improvement in sq?
Can't speak to that as I use an ifi nano black label. I can say that I've only heard good things about the modi.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2,299 of 2,593
I have not done a comparison, but I have found that Schiit gear mates well with other Schiit gear--which makes perfect sense. The same engineering team are working together. My suggestion would be that a Modi would pair better than another DAC, and I have two Schiit stacks--a Modi MB with Vali 2 and a Modi 2 with Magni 3... and both are very good HP rigs.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #2,300 of 2,593
I've been curious about the sound differences between DAC's, but also between DSP's or other sources. For instance: I use a Delta 410 as my PC's DSP, output over digital coax to the Modi. I'm keen on testing a few other sources including, a Sounblaster Extigy and my Harman Kardon DVD-47.

Keep up the good work, fellas! Its nice to see so many success stories with the Schiit stacks.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,301 of 2,593
I have not done a comparison, but I have found that Schiit gear mates well with other Schiit gear--which makes perfect sense. The same engineering team are working together. My suggestion would be that a Modi would pair better than another DAC, and I have two Schiit stacks--a Modi MB with Vali 2 and a Modi 2 with Magni 3... and both are very good HP rigs.

Any thoughts on whether a modi 3 is a big upgrade over a modi 2? Looks like I can find a 2 for 60 or less.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #2,302 of 2,593
Any thoughts on whether a modi 3 is a big upgrade over a modi 2? Looks like I can find a 2 for 60 or less.

The biggest advantage the Modi 3 has over the 2 is the ability to use Toslink and SPDIF coaxial interconnects instead of USB, also the power is split off, to a USB-micro port, which you could use an external power supply--either the Wyrd or the iFi iPower 5v. Whether Mike made any changes in the use of AD4490 Delta/sigma DAC chip is not clearly stated, but the other features are certainly valuable.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #2,303 of 2,593
The biggest advantage the Modi 3 has over the 2 is the ability to use Toslink and SPDIF coaxial interconnects instead of USB, also the power is split off, to a USB-micro port, which you could use an external power supply--either the Wyrd or the iFi iPower 5v. Whether Mike made any changes in the use of AD4490 Delta/sigma DAC chip is not clearly stated, but the other features are certainly valuable.
Yikes. I don't even understand any of that!

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,304 of 2,593
Jan 10, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #2,305 of 2,593
Basically has inputs other than USB. Can be powered by a seperate USB port.

Some folks say it sounds better than a Modi 2, I don't know. I think it is a Modi Uber with a new name, but you cannot go wrong with a Modi 2 for $60, they were closing them out at $59.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,306 of 2,593
There have been more than insignificant numbers of failing Modi 2s over the years. They are also known to be extremely susceptible to fluctuations in USB power. The Modi 3 solves a lot of these issues. IMO spend the extra and get the Modi 3 if you're going to go Schiit.

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,309 of 2,593

Users who are viewing this thread

Back