Magni 3 Impressions
Jan 13, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #2,311 of 2,593
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,313 of 2,593
Here are four relativeky recent AL topped Schiit small-format boxes... Magni 3, Modi 3, Loki, and Sys. Photo picks up more nuance than my eye, and none have been cleaned. Will try again after erranding (and gentle cleansing of each).

Attachments

• 3008BE6D-8767-43AD-AF58-C3477184BA23.jpeg
    3008BE6D-8767-43AD-AF58-C3477184BA23.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • F3858FF3-BCB0-4405-9BC0-B4BDF94B5A08.jpeg
    F3858FF3-BCB0-4405-9BC0-B4BDF94B5A08.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 2, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #2,314 of 2,593
I'm thinking about adding this to my Dragonfly Red to get almost 100% performance of the HD 6XX but using the search the opinions are so different and I'm confused and rather ask again, is it really a bad idea to get the Magni 3 for the HD 6XX? Also I would use it with M50x too for videos. I'm already happy with the HD 6XX through the Dragonfly Red but maybe with this amp I can get a little more instrument separation.

Feb 2, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #2,315 of 2,593
I'm thinking about adding this to my Dragonfly Red to get almost 100% performance of the HD 6XX but using the search the opinions are so different and I'm confused and rather ask again, is it really a bad idea to get the Magni 3 for the HD 6XX? Also I would use it with M50x too for videos. I'm already happy with the HD 6XX through the Dragonfly Red but maybe with this amp I can get a little more instrument separation.
I don't think chaining the Magni after the DFR is going to yield the results you want. You're double amping the 6XX. I think you'll just be hearing the characteristics of the DFR slightly altered by the Magni. I tried a similar experiment but with the DF black. I wasn't happy with the results. If you can you're better off investing in a dac that has a true line out to feed the Magni.

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2,317 of 2,593

Everyone's hearing is different, but I found the HD 6XX/Magni 3 to be SUPER bright.

I didn't find the Magni 3 HD6XX combo to be bright at all. I have used Magni with both modi multibit and modi 3 (and a Loki).

When using Loki, and magni 3, and modi 3 I find myself turning left bass control to 11, and I turn both the treble and mid/treble knob to 1 pm. Meaning I turn bass down a tad, and turn treble up a tad.

I don't find myself ever wanting to use Loki with modi multibit.

I think a lot of it depends on your source/dac. I use usb and toslink with modi/Magni.

Before I bought my DAC I used the Magni 3/HD6XX fed by my iPad. That setup got eq'd, via Spotify

The HD6XX are the only headphones ive used in the above comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #2,318 of 2,593
I don't think chaining the Magni after the DFR is going to yield the results you want. You're double amping the 6XX. I think you'll just be hearing the characteristics of the DFR slightly altered by the Magni. I tried a similar experiment but with the DF black. I wasn't happy with the results. If you can you're better off investing in a dac that has a true line out to feed the Magni.
I thought that it can be just DAC too, maybe I missed something.

Everyone's hearing is different, but I found the HD 6XX/Magni 3 to be SUPER bright.

With DFR it's not bright to me, even the M50x is rarely bright with it, Magni 3 is supposed to be neutral, how did it end up being bright? Only with Magni 3 you've experienced this brightness?

I didn't find the Magni 3 HD6XX combo to be bright at all. I have used Magni with both modi multibit and modi 3 (and a Loki).

When using Loki, and magni 3, and modi 3 I find myself turning left bass control to 11, and I turn both the treble and mid/treble knob to 1 pm. Meaning I turn bass down a tad, and turn treble a tad.

I don't find myself ever wanting to use Loki with modi multibit.

So I'm just as confused as before :D I thought that it's a good idea to add this to the chain, not really sure about it anymore haha, I don't want tube amp for sure due maintenance and hotness and I'm not audiophile for sure

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,319 of 2,593
I thought that it can be just DAC too, maybe I missed something.

With DFR it's not bright to me, even the M50x is rarely bright with it, Magni 3 is supposed to be neutral, how did it end up being bright? Only with Magni 3 you've experienced this brightness?

So I'm just as confused as before :D I thought that it's a good idea to add this to the chain, not really sure about it anymore haha, I don't want tube amp for sure due maintenance and hotness and I'm not audiophile for sure

Sorry, we all hear differently, I wholeheartedly recommend the HD6xx Magni 3 combo. But I prefer it on low gain, compared to most people liking high gain.

Many people like HD6XX and fulla 2, some feel fulla 2 can't drive it well enough and recommend Magni 3.

Depends what you like. Do you like a heavy emphasis on lows, mids, highs, or do you like it all balanced. I have only ever heard people say Magni 3 is bright, to them. I can only assume they hear differently, and prefer a more muted/recessed treble then I do. I think Magni 3 HD6XX both sparkles and thumps.

What do you like? Also as long as you don't buy b stock Schiit has a decent return policy.

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,320 of 2,593
Yes I'm double posting. I think the dragon fly red would work well to feed the Magni.

I thoroughly enjoyed iPad air 2 into Magni 3 into HD6XX. The dragonfly outputs very low wattage into the 300ohm HD6xx. You are definitely missing something. I know I am when I plug my HD6xx into anything else (iPad, iPhone, pixel 2, etc). Low wattage output devices can't give you full sound quality at low volumes, let alone loud volumes, like a dedicated, wall wart powered headphone amp can. Regardless of manufacturer, & model.

Your experience may vary, whether you like the new sound signature. We all hear differently, your ears might prefer one headphone amp over the other. The right headphone amp should give you a much better experience. Magni 3 worked for me.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #2,321 of 2,593
Magni 3 is supposed to be neutral, how did it end up being bright?

I don't know how long you've been following the thread, but many people have said the Magni 3 sounds bright. I chimed in about this, earlier in the thread and came to the conclusion that perhaps, a reason I don't find the Magni 3 bright is because I use MDR-V700's, which are known for having too much emphasis on low end. My result is that I find the combo very neutral, and for my hearing, absolutely preferable to the HD 6XX, which grated on my hearing due to the unnaturally, bright sound (with my ears, that is).

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,322 of 2,593
Sorry, we all hear differently, I wholeheartedly recommend the HD6xx Magni 3 combo. But I prefer it on low gain, compared to most people liking high gain.

Many people like HD6XX and fulla 2, some feel fulla 2 can't drive it well enough and recommend Magni 3.

Depends what you like. Do you like a heavy emphasis on lows, mids, highs, or do you like it all balanced. I have only ever heard people say Magni 3 is bright, to them. I can only assume they hear differently, and prefer a more muted/recessed treble then I do. I think Magni 3 HD6XX both sparkles and thumps.

What do you like? Also as long as you don't buy b stock Schiit has a decent return policy.
Reading threads here at Head-Fi is always confusing, based on the mixed opinions on anything it's hard to make just a shortlist :D Sure that everyone's hearing is a bit different but It's still hard to believe that above at level any of these headphones and DAC or Amps are unlistenable to some people...Sure you can prefer different soundsignatures but saying X or Y is earpiercingly bright and things like that it's just unbelievable, if true then I feel sorry for those because then any noise during their day can hurt them. I'm also sometimes sensitive to treble to some extent depending on the track. With my M50x I often felt this with E10k but not with the Dragonfly Red, and the HD 6xx with the DFR sounds good to me and not a single cymbal or similar was sharp to me and I just recently read that the DFR is on the brighter side, I was afraid to pick the HD 6xx due the tons of too harsh, no bass, veiled, for some it's warm etc comments and for me the bass is better than the M50x so this is why I said that I'm not audiophile, I don't know what's what.

So to answer your question, I want neutral as possible but seems that I like brighter sound... Today I checked the HD 6xx thread and just as many people said that the Magni 3 is warm as many said it's bright, few said neutral but no matter how they described it they mostly seem to think that it's a good match with the HD 6xx. Probably for now I stick to the DFR only setup, I'll listen this headphone more with it since it's just 2 weeks old, on week 1 I listened 3 albums per day, on week 2 just 2 albums per day. Later I'll rethink this, not many options in my country so that's why I thought that the Magni 3 is a safe choice, I'll see. Thanks anyway :)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,323 of 2,593
Reading threads here at Head-Fi is always confusing, based on the mixed opinions on anything it's hard to make just a shortlist :D Sure that everyone's hearing is a bit different but It's still hard to believe that above at level any of these headphones and DAC or Amps are unlistenable to some people...Sure you can prefer different soundsignatures but saying X or Y is earpiercingly bright and things like that it's just unbelievable, if true then I feel sorry for those because then any noise during their day can hurt them. I'm also sometimes sensitive to treble to some extent depending on the track. With my M50x I often felt this with E10k but not with the Dragonfly Red, and the HD 6xx with the DFR sounds good to me and not a single cymbal or similar was sharp to me and I just recently read that the DFR is on the brighter side, I was afraid to pick the HD 6xx due the tons of too harsh, no bass, veiled, for some it's warm etc comments and for me the bass is better than the M50x so this is why I said that I'm not audiophile, I don't know what's what.

So to answer your question, I want neutral as possible but seems that I like brighter sound... Today I checked the HD 6xx thread and just as many people said that the Magni 3 is warm as many said it's bright, few said neutral but no matter how they described it they mostly seem to think that it's a good match with the HD 6xx. Probably for now I stick to the DFR only setup, I'll listen this headphone more with it since it's just 2 weeks old, on week 1 I listened 3 albums per day, on week 2 just 2 albums per day. Later I'll rethink this, not many options in my country so that's why I thought that the Magni 3 is a safe choice, I'll see. Thanks anyway :)

Yeah its tough, good luck

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #2,324 of 2,593

I think you’d be perfectly happy. I’m running a Magni 3 with my LCD2c and I’ve heard similar complaints about it being too bright. I don’t have any complaints and I haven’t noticed any piercing brightness. Sound is amazing. With my Loki I actually bump the treble up a bit with certain bands.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #2,325 of 2,593
Sure that everyone's hearing is a bit different but It's still hard to believe that above at level any of these headphones and DAC or Amps are unlistenable to some people...Sure you can prefer different soundsignatures but saying X or Y is earpiercingly bright and things like that it's just unbelievable, if true then I feel sorry for those because then any noise during their day can hurt them. So to answer your question, I want neutral as possible but seems that I like brighter sound... Today I checked the HD 6xx thread and just as many people said that the Magni 3 is warm as many said it's bright, few said neutral but no matter how they described it they mostly seem to think that it's a good match with the HD 6xx.

Many peoples hearing is altered due to damage from work or loud concerts--if you've attended one raucous concert, your hearing is permanently damaged. But the HD 6XX are a very popular headphone based on cost vs. return. I A/B'd them at Canjam on the same DAC AMP combo to be absolutely sure, and they are good sounding headphones, in fact they sound similar to my Sony's, but for my hearing my Sony's were better because I couldn't stand the bright sound of the HD 6XX's. It shouldn't be hard to believe that some people find certain combos unlistenable. Our hearing does vary THAT MUCH.

After looking at the DFR's specs, I would definitely, suggest getting a Magni 3 because it will serve as a great platform to try other headphones in the future. And will obviously, supply copious amounts of power compared to the DFR by itself, which is important with many headphones. AND it can be used as a pre-amp for amplifiers. Lots of bonuses involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back