Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 14, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #946 of 2,593
Just bought a brand new Magni 3 off ebay for $80. Looking forward to listening to my new setup. Going to be rocking a Modi 2 Uber with Magni 3 through a new pair of AKG K712. Hoping it will be an upgrade from my current ps4 setup of DSS and HD 598.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #947 of 2,593
Just bought a brand new Magni 3 off ebay for $80. Looking forward to listening to my new setup. Going to be rocking a Modi 2 Uber with Magni 3 through a new pair of AKG K712. Hoping it will be an upgrade from my current ps4 setup of DSS and HD 598.

I wonder how did you get that offer but good for you!

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #949 of 2,593
There just so happened to be one on ebay for auction. I asked the seller how much he would take for it today. Talked him down $10 and buy it now so I didn't have to wait another 4 days for the auction to end. So excited!

Awesome deal! I would consider it a bargain at $99 but at $80, even better.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #950 of 2,593
This is because it's louder--we perceive more bass (relative to the rest of the sound) when the volume goes up. If you volume match with proper equipment, you'll see there's no difference.
That bloom you mention I daresay must be your headphones, not the amp.
Also, about the volume knob problem you mention in 3, I think you should return yours as defective. That's not normal. My volume pot is perfectly centered and smooth

Isn't there a non-zero possibility that the high and low gain settings do in fact differ slightly in output even when volume matched? My method is obviously very unscientific: flip the gain switch and turn the knob to what seems like the same volume (based on listening comfort, since it's pretty loud). But as unscientific as my method is, there's still a noticeable difference with certain bass-heavy content (currently listening to Daft Punk's Doin' it Right). These TH-X00 PH cans definitely have some bloom regardless, but it's still repeatably less offensive on low gain than high gain.

I'm not saying that there definitely is a difference, and am open to being convinced that it's just my ears playing tricks on me, but if you're asserting that there definitely isn't a difference then I'd be curious to know why/how you're making that assertion.

As for the volume knob wobble, I didn't really care to go through the exchange process at first but you're right -- I know this will continue to bother me, so I've sent an email to Schiit about getting a replacement.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #951 of 2,593
@ian1386, with some amps the high and low gain setting have different output impedances so this might affect the sound but since the specs for the Magni3 only say <0.3 ohm for both settings I don't think this is the case. I'd suggest getting a dB meter app if you have a smart phone, its not the best way but its more accurate than our own hearing. Also, use a test tone to set the volume level, not music.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #952 of 2,593
2. I also experience balance issues at low volumes, for about 10-15 degrees of rotation from zero. Not an issue for me, since that's still less than about half of my lowest listening level with these cans.

Glad it doesn't both you, but those who listen at low levels should know this is a common issue with many products at this price level. I solved it on my Magni 2U by adding inline attenuators. See these two posts: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier.640783/page-150#post-13254036

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #953 of 2,593
@ian1386, with some amps the high and low gain setting have different output impedances so this might affect the sound but since the specs for the Magni3 only say <0.3 ohm for both settings I don't think this is the case. I'd suggest getting a dB meter app if you have a smart phone, its not the best way but its more accurate than our own hearing. Also, use a test tone to set the volume level, not music.

Fair enough -- I do actually have access to a calibrated mic, so I'll see if I can bring it into the office to get some measurements. I'm sure it'll prove me and my ears wrong!

As for the wobbly volume knob, Schiit has been quick to respond and they're taking care of it. They're starting with the easiest thing first and sending me a new knob since I can't tell just by looking at the pot if it's also wobbly, too.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #954 of 2,593
My biggest gripe with the Magni's I've owned in the past, as well as, my current Vali 2 is the loud popping sound that comes over my Audioengine A2's when I power on these amps. Does this also happen with the Magni 3? I guess I need to get into the habit of turning the volume dial down and off on the A2's to avoid that annoying racket.

I just thought of a little trick to avoid the loud popping sound upon start-up of the Schiit Magni's and Vali 2. I just inserted a mini-to-1/4" headphone plug adaptor (without a headphone) into my Vali 2 headphone output. After turning on the amp I just wait for 10-15 seconds and then remove the adaptor if I want to listen to my A2's or plug in a pair of headphones. This way I don't need to screw around with the rear volume/on-off knob on the A2. However I will need to remember to plug the adaptor back into the headphone output after I'm done listening and shut off the amp.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #955 of 2,593
I just thought of a little trick to avoid the loud popping sound upon start-up of the Schiit Magni's and Vali 2. I just inserted a mini-to-1/4" headphone plug adaptor (without a headphone) into my Vali 2 headphone output. After turning on the amp I just wait for 10-15 seconds and then remove the adaptor if I want to listen to my A2's or plug in a pair of headphones. This way I don't need to screw around with the rear volume/on-off knob on the A2. However I will need to remember to plug the adaptor back into the headphone output after I'm done listening and shut off the amp.

I haven't had any popping on my Magni 3, Asgard 2, or original Vali. My Lyr 2 popped really loudly... it was mildly disturbing. It got sold. No reason to put up with that with so many other good amps out there.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #956 of 2,593
I haven't had any popping on my Magni 3, Asgard 2, or original Vali. My Lyr 2 popped really loudly... it was mildly disturbing. It got sold. No reason to put up with that with so many other good amps out there.
Same here! I thought I had wired it up incorrectly. My Vidar even went into protection. That was scary, so I put a SYS in between. Turned the volume down on the SYS, turned on the Lyr 2, waited a bit, turned the volume up slowly for both: voilà. Still, disqualifies it as a preamp for me. But maybe I did wire it up wrong the first time.

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #957 of 2,593
Just got my Magni 3. I have some issues, none of which is particularly big, but wanted to ask whether it seems normal.

1. RCA connectors seem relatively loose compared to the death-grip on my speaker amp and source.
2. Volume pot has a few degrees of dead zone - as in, when changing direction, it's loose for a few degrees before it physically engages.
3. Something inside the unit slightly rattles when it's gently shook.

The pot is also unbalanced at low levels (one side actually goes silent), but I see other people fairly commonly have this issue, so I guess it's not a concern?

I assume it's just kind of unavoidable little things at this price range?

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #958 of 2,593
Just got my Magni 3. I have some issues, none of which is particularly big, but wanted to ask whether it seems normal.

1. RCA connectors seem relatively loose compared to the death-grip on my speaker amp and source.
2. Volume pot has a few degrees of dead zone - as in, when changing direction, it's loose for a few degrees before it physically engages.

The pot is also unbalanced at low levels (one side actually goes silent), but I see other people fairly commonly have this issue, so I guess it's not a concern?

Nope, my Magni 3 has none of those problems. I would contact Schiit about getting it exchanged.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #960 of 2,593

Mine has none of those issues. I'd get it exchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back