Magni 3 Impressions
Sep 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #61 of 2,593
i have both, and a jot and fulla 2. got my m3 yesterday, so these impressions are very early, with only 3 hours listening time, one of which was directly comparing vali 2 to m3, to see which will be my work amp. i'll spend this weekend doing more listening and will provide more detailed impressions later. but here are my initial impressions after 3 hours. chain is phone w/tidal hifi, modibit, m3/vali 2, t90. yes, i love my t90, treble and all.

first thought when listening for the first 20 mins was "refined". the older magni's had a slight glare in the treble, and a touch of shouty-ness, if you will. that's not present in the m3. despite the more refined highs, its still a very detailed amp. it's very transparent, very neutral. i started to think warm, but honestly, i dont think it is. it's just refined and mostly colorless. nothing stood out to me, other than my headphones and the music. that's a win, for me.

running splitters from modi to the m3 and vali 2 (with eh gold pin tube), i volume matched them to 80db and swapped back and forth. they're very close overall. what i found though is the vali is a touch warmer. there was more thickness to the notes, more body. more liquid, if you will. treble sounded slightly rounded off, less extended. the t90 is bright, and the vali 2 softens it's presentation noticeably. it has a noticeable sound signature. honestly, i find it boring overall. with the stock tube, eh gold pin, and genelex gold lion, it just sounded too smooth, too even toned. nothing stood out, other than it's smooth and slightly warm.

going to the m3, the first thing i noticed was....nothing. all my other amps have a tonal character that i recognize immediately. not so with the m3. i think that's due to only 3 hours ear time, so this WILL change as i learn the amp more. but it just sounded good, and i just couldnt shake that feeling of "nothing". that the amp was very very transparent. but like i said, that's going to change over time as i get used to it, i'm sure. but it's just clean sounding. clean, clear, and neutral. i cant say it's bright, i cant say it's dark. i honestly cant say much other than it sounds really good. i prefer it to the vali for sure. why? it lacks the vali's smooth and slightly rounded presentation. it's more detailed and honest to the headphones and music. to put it into a headphone analogy, it's like the hd600 vs the hd650. i find the 600 the more honest and neutral set.

some other observations - again, compared to older magni's, the treble is much better. less glare, less etching. i found the older magni's to start sounding harsh past 3000k. not so with the m3, it's cleaner.

after 15 mins going back and forth with the jot, i thought it sounded very similar in it's clarity, just not as energetic. the jot sounds a bit spastic for whatever reason. more extension at the top and bottom, though i wouldnt say more detail. it's just a more dynamic sounding amp. not dramatically so though. they're more alike than i expected. the m3 just sounds more composed, more even. the jot is more exuberant. sorry for the non-technical terms, i'm not good at descriptions. given the short amount of time though, the only real thing i kept noticing was the jot's extra dynamics. it was just a slightly brighter, harder hitting amp. it's "fun", the m3 more natural.

only about 5 mins on the fulla 2, and to be honest, it made me appreciate the fulla even more than i already do. the fulla is harsher, less detailed, hazier, but not by such a degree as i'd have expected. it's still amazing sounding for the price. and has plenty of power for my t90, ether c, and other more efficient headphones. but the fulla 2 does sound more raw and rough around the edges compared to the modibit/m3. it's leaner, less dynamic, and much harsher at from 6k on. to these ears, the fulla gets annoying with bright music and bright headphones. i dont like my beyers on it much. the ether c does fine, it's smooth sounding. but my favorite headphones for the fulla 2 are my darker ones, like my nightowl, nad hp50, or b&o h6 gen 2. those sound really good as they brighten up a bit with the fulla. i havent tried them on the m3 yet, only the t90.

so overall, i'm quite impressed with the m3. i think if you want transparency, it's far superior to the vali 2. the vali adds flavor to the sound. if that's your goal, it's the better option. if you want an amp that just gets out of the way, i find the m3 to be the best of my current bunch. i have a grace m9xx at work with the vali, and i'll bring it home to compare to the m3. i find the grace to be quite transparent as well. i'm curious how it will compare to the m3. i'll try using the grace dac with the m3 doing amp duties. then i'll compare the grace as a dac/amp, to the modibit/m3 combo. i will say this, i hate the modibit/vali 2 combo for some reason! it's too soft, too smooth. maybe a different tube is needed. but i think its just my growing preference for lean clarity.

take all this with a major grain of salt as i ONLY LISTED FOR 3 HOURS. my impressions are initial and will change. i have the m3 here at work today with the grace doing dac duties, and my t70 work phones (told you i like lean clear sounds). after 2 hours of listening, i'm liking this combo alot! there's no character to it, other than being "characterless" so far. i like that. how you like the m3 will depend on what you want from it.

hope this helps. for anyone considering the m3, just get it. it's cheap, sounds great, and is so flexible in it's usage. you can run ANYTHING from it. and because it's mostly transparent, your choice of headphone will be the real deciding factor regarding how your system will sound.

more impressions after the weekend.

Thank you. For the time being, I am quite pleased with the Vali 2(w/Tesla E88CC tube) with my Nightowls(w/hybrid earpads). On the other hand, if I was in the market for my first hp amp, the M3 offers a compelling value at $50 less($99 vs $149).

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #63 of 2,593
Now I am using Mimby > Marantz Integrated Amp > Speakers, as headphone output at Marantz is not what I want to connect my Ether Flows
My question: Mimby > Magni 3 > Marantz Integrated Amp > Speakers is a safe setup?
I want to connect the Ether Flows to Magni 3 and when not maintain current configuration to use speakers.
Is this possible; I understood Magni 3 connect RCA output when headphones are not connected and connect RCA when cans are not connected, correct?
If so, which volume level should I fix when using through integrated amp?

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #64 of 2,593
i have both, and a jot and fulla 2. got my m3 yesterday, so these impressions are very early, with only 3 hours listening time, one of which was directly comparing vali 2 to m3, to see which will be my work amp. i'll spend this weekend doing more listening and will provide more detailed impressions later. but here are my initial impressions after 3 hours. chain is phone w/tidal hifi, modibit, m3/vali 2, t90. yes, i love my t90, treble and all.

first thought when listening for the first 20 mins was "refined". the older magni's had a slight glare in the treble, and a touch of shouty-ness, if you will. that's not present in the m3. despite the more refined highs, its still a very detailed amp. it's very transparent, very neutral. i started to think warm, but honestly, i dont think it is. it's just refined and mostly colorless. nothing stood out to me, other than my headphones and the music. that's a win, for me.

running splitters from modi to the m3 and vali 2 (with eh gold pin tube), i volume matched them to 80db and swapped back and forth. they're very close overall. what i found though is the vali is a touch warmer. there was more thickness to the notes, more body. more liquid, if you will. treble sounded slightly rounded off, less extended. the t90 is bright, and the vali 2 softens it's presentation noticeably. it has a noticeable sound signature. honestly, i find it boring overall. with the stock tube, eh gold pin, and genelex gold lion, it just sounded too smooth, too even toned. nothing stood out, other than it's smooth and slightly warm.

going to the m3, the first thing i noticed was....nothing. all my other amps have a tonal character that i recognize immediately. not so with the m3. i think that's due to only 3 hours ear time, so this WILL change as i learn the amp more. but it just sounded good, and i just couldnt shake that feeling of "nothing". that the amp was very very transparent. but like i said, that's going to change over time as i get used to it, i'm sure. but it's just clean sounding. clean, clear, and neutral. i cant say it's bright, i cant say it's dark. i honestly cant say much other than it sounds really good. i prefer it to the vali for sure. why? it lacks the vali's smooth and slightly rounded presentation. it's more detailed and honest to the headphones and music. to put it into a headphone analogy, it's like the hd600 vs the hd650. i find the 600 the more honest and neutral set.

some other observations - again, compared to older magni's, the treble is much better. less glare, less etching. i found the older magni's to start sounding harsh past 3000k. not so with the m3, it's cleaner.

after 15 mins going back and forth with the jot, i thought it sounded very similar in it's clarity, just not as energetic. the jot sounds a bit spastic for whatever reason. more extension at the top and bottom, though i wouldnt say more detail. it's just a more dynamic sounding amp. not dramatically so though. they're more alike than i expected. the m3 just sounds more composed, more even. the jot is more exuberant. sorry for the non-technical terms, i'm not good at descriptions. given the short amount of time though, the only real thing i kept noticing was the jot's extra dynamics. it was just a slightly brighter, harder hitting amp. it's "fun", the m3 more natural.

only about 5 mins on the fulla 2, and to be honest, it made me appreciate the fulla even more than i already do. the fulla is harsher, less detailed, hazier, but not by such a degree as i'd have expected. it's still amazing sounding for the price. and has plenty of power for my t90, ether c, and other more efficient headphones. but the fulla 2 does sound more raw and rough around the edges compared to the modibit/m3. it's leaner, less dynamic, and much harsher at from 6k on. to these ears, the fulla gets annoying with bright music and bright headphones. i dont like my beyers on it much. the ether c does fine, it's smooth sounding. but my favorite headphones for the fulla 2 are my darker ones, like my nightowl, nad hp50, or b&o h6 gen 2. those sound really good as they brighten up a bit with the fulla. i havent tried them on the m3 yet, only the t90.

so overall, i'm quite impressed with the m3. i think if you want transparency, it's far superior to the vali 2. the vali adds flavor to the sound. if that's your goal, it's the better option. if you want an amp that just gets out of the way, i find the m3 to be the best of my current bunch. i have a grace m9xx at work with the vali, and i'll bring it home to compare to the m3. i find the grace to be quite transparent as well. i'm curious how it will compare to the m3. i'll try using the grace dac with the m3 doing amp duties. then i'll compare the grace as a dac/amp, to the modibit/m3 combo. i will say this, i hate the modibit/vali 2 combo for some reason! it's too soft, too smooth. maybe a different tube is needed. but i think its just my growing preference for lean clarity.

take all this with a major grain of salt as i ONLY LISTED FOR 3 HOURS. my impressions are initial and will change. i have the m3 here at work today with the grace doing dac duties, and my t70 work phones (told you i like lean clear sounds). after 2 hours of listening, i'm liking this combo alot! there's no character to it, other than being "characterless" so far. i like that. how you like the m3 will depend on what you want from it.

hope this helps. for anyone considering the m3, just get it. it's cheap, sounds great, and is so flexible in it's usage. you can run ANYTHING from it. and because it's mostly transparent, your choice of headphone will be the real deciding factor regarding how your system will sound.

more impressions after the weekend.

Since the Vali 2 gives a 2dB boost at low gain compared with 6dB boost at same setting with the M3, my concern is that the M3 will not be usable at low levels. For example, most of the time I rarely cross over the 9 o' clock volume position on the Vali 2 with my Nightowls. What do you think? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #65 of 2,593
Since the Vali 2 gives a 2dB boost at low gain compared with 6dB boost at same setting with the M3, my concern is that the M3 will not be usable at low levels. For example, most of the time I rarely cross over the 9 o' clock volume position on the Vali 2 with my Nightowls. What do you think? Any input would be very much appreciated.
you'll definitely be below 9 on the dial, but should still be ok in general. i would say this though, the vali 2 to magni 3 is mostly a sidegrade, not an upgrade. just different flavors. if you want a lighter, clearer signature, then yes the m3 would be a nice fit. just dont expect a dramatic difference. the differences will be noticeable, but still subtle. that being said, on low gain you'll be fine with the m3 and nightowl.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #67 of 2,593
Now I am using Mimby > Marantz Integrated Amp > Speakers, as headphone output at Marantz is not what I want to connect my Ether Flows
My question: Mimby > Magni 3 > Marantz Integrated Amp > Speakers is a safe setup?
I want to connect the Ether Flows to Magni 3 and when not maintain current configuration to use speakers.
Is this possible; I understood Magni 3 connect RCA output when headphones are not connected and connect RCA when cans are not connected, correct?
If so, which volume level should I fix when using through integrated amp?
i LOVE my ether c (non flow) with my jotunheim, and the jotunheim is similar sounding to the magni 3, so in my opinion it's a great pairing. as for using the magni as a preamp, i'll have to defer to others as i've not used it as such, and dont feel comfortable commenting, in case i'm mistaken in my assumptions. sorry i cant help you with the preamp question. but as a headphone amp for the ether, i think you'd like it.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #68 of 2,593
Thank you. For the time being, I am quite pleased with the Vali 2(w/Tesla E88CC tube) with my Nightowls(w/hybrid earpads). On the other hand, if I was in the market for my first hp amp, the M3 offers a compelling value at $50 less($99 vs $149).
have you tried an eh gold pin tube? i'd love to know your thoughts on how they compare. with the stock tube and eh gold pin, i'm struggling to like my vali 2. it's not bad sounding by any means, just not exciting enough for me. a bit too mellow...

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #69 of 2,593
i LOVE my ether c (non flow) with my jotunheim, and the jotunheim is similar sounding to the magni 3, so in my opinion it's a great pairing. as for using the magni as a preamp, i'll have to defer to others as i've not used it as such, and dont feel comfortable commenting, in case i'm mistaken in my assumptions. sorry i cant help you with the preamp question. but as a headphone amp for the ether, i think you'd like it.
Great, thanks

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #70 of 2,593
have you tried an eh gold pin tube? i'd love to know your thoughts on how they compare. with the stock tube and eh gold pin, i'm struggling to like my vali 2. it's not bad sounding by any means, just not exciting enough for me. a bit too mellow...

Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of trying the EH 6922 gold or standard pin tube. If I do sometime in the future, I will let you know.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #71 of 2,593

FYI, I am currently running the following set-up: iPhone 6>Dragonfly Red(DAC only)>Vali 2(w/Tesla E88CC tube)>Nightowl(w/hybrid earpads). At least to my ears, compared with the stock tube the Tesla tube has a bit more, but still relatively smooth treble and tighter bass that goes a little deeper in the sub bass. Hope this helps.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #72 of 2,593
FYI, I am currently running the following set-up: iPhone 6>Dragonfly Red(DAC only)>Vali 2(w/Tesla E88CC tube)>Nightowl(w/hybrid earpads). At least to my ears, compared with the stock tube the Tesla tube has a bit more, but still relatively smooth treble and tighter bass that goes a little deeper in the sub bass. Hope this helps.
thanks! i'll look into that tube

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #74 of 2,593
Get a 6922 to 5670 adapter and buy a Western Electric 396A tube. That will do it.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back