Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #2,071 of 2,593
It measures well on ASR, which is a huge change for a Schiit dac. At the $100 price point it's super competitive imo. No more USB issues, full 2v line level output. Just doing what a dac should do at a reasonable price. A Mimby is more than twice as expensive - which for a lot of people is unobtainable.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #2,072 of 2,593
A Mimby is more than twice as expensive...

True that.

I've noticed that strict, volume-matched ABX tests don't reveal a whole of differences (mostly). Where the Mimby comes through, for me, is in sequential alternating listening sessions. I find that the Mimby is just more...satisfying (again, to my ears and preferences).

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #2,073 of 2,593
True that.

I've noticed that strict, volume-matched ABX tests don't reveal a whole of differences (mostly). Where the Mimby comes through, for me, is in sequential alternating listening sessions. I find that the Mimby is just more...satisfying (again, to my ears and preferences).

I've had the same experience. It's a complex topic, but it seems to me there may be relevant perceptual resolution limits imposed by ABX conditions. When it comes to aesthetics subtle can be significant.

And on the other had ABX reveals differences may not be as great as previously thought. So I find it to be a useful reference point for that reason alone.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #2,074 of 2,593
I tried Magni 3 with Fiio X5iii and felt that the sound was very warmish. Has anybody felt the same sonic tonality out of a Magni 3. Is this an amplifier with neutral or warm tonality. If it's warm then it is really a bad match for my X5iii as that too is known for its warmth.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2,075 of 2,593
I tried Magni 3 with Fiio X5iii and felt that the sound was very warmish. Has anybody felt the same sonic tonality out of a Magni 3. Is this an amplifier with neutral or warm tonality. If it's warm then it is really a bad match for my X5iii as that too is known for its warmth.
The magni 3 is bright compared to my o2 amp and jds labs el amp, both of which strive for neutrality.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #2,076 of 2,593
Ah ah ah! Remember to mention which cans it sounds bright with. I used the Modi/Magni stack at Can Jam, and it sounded bright with HD 680's, but neutral in comparison with my MDR-V700's.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #2,077 of 2,593
It may be worth noting that when current generation Bifrost models came out (4490 and Multibit) there were many user comparisons that preferred the 4490, although most also said they were both excellent. Horses for courses I guess....

This is very relevant as I have come across groups who feel single bit is superior to multibit, when it comes to redbook audio and DAC's.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #2,078 of 2,593
True that.

I've had the same experience. It's a complex topic, but it seems to me there may be relevant perceptual resolution limits imposed by ABX conditions. When it comes to aesthetics subtle can be significant.

And on the other had ABX reveals differences may not be as great as previously thought. So I find it to be a useful reference point for that reason alone.
both of you are on the right track, for me it was trying to figure out the which of my Bifrost (Uber and MD) I liked better, turns out I like them both since they are quite different. The Uber has a bit of an edge while the Bimby is a bit smoother, it becomes a preference which I prefer with a certain amp/headphone and genre.

While I haven't heard a X5iii the Magni3 is a touch on the brighter side to me so I'm a bit surprised that you found the X5iii + Magni3 on the warm side which would mean that the X5iii is really on the warm side.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #2,080 of 2,593
both of you are on the right track, for me it was trying to figure out the which of my Bifrost (Uber and MD) I liked better, turns out I like them both since they are quite different. The Uber has a bit of an edge while the Bimby is a bit smoother, it becomes a preference which I prefer with a certain amp/headphone and genre.

While I haven't heard a X5iii the Magni3 is a touch on the brighter side to me so I'm a bit surprised that you found the X5iii + Magni3 on the warm side which would mean that the X5iii is really on the warm side.

Perhaps. I have only used low gain on Magni 3 with Senn HD 598 so maybe high gain would seem more dynamic. It could also be some songs are like that. Plus I have only listened to the set up only one day.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #2,081 of 2,593
Ah ah ah! Remember to mention which cans it sounds bright with. I used the Modi/Magni stack at Can Jam, and it sounded bright with HD 680's, but neutral in comparison with my MDR-V700's.

The magni 3 was brighter than the o2 and el amp with all my headphones. i think they are all listed in my profile. One strange thing I noticed was that my Audeze lcd2c was brighter on the magni3 than my hdxx. If we were going to make assumptions based on measurements alone then the lcd2c should have been warmer than the hdxx but for some reason were not.

They had this peaky harshness to them with the magni 3 that was still there with the hdxx but not as much. I don’t know if it has something to do with planars or the difference in ohm stability across the frequency range but the lcd2c was definitely brighter than my hdxx with the magni. My least favorite headphones with the magni 3 were my Hifiman he-400i. Really fatiguing highs with that pairing. My audioengine d1 is also smoother than the magni 3 but it has its iwn akm dac vs the sabre dacs i used with the magni 3 so not a fair comparison. I would recommend the magni 3 for anyone who likes the sound of Beyerdynamic headphones when paired with a neutral amp. You’ll get a slightly less dynamic reproduction with the magni 3 when paired with a more neutral set of headphones. I noticed this when I hooked my KEF M500 to it.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #2,082 of 2,593
You know, I just thought of something that leads me to believe you may be right about the Magni being a normally, bright amp. My headphones have a reputation for being bass heavy. However they were not when I was using a modded SbLive, which probably had it's low-frequency cut-off raised due to the smaller decoupling caps I installed between the output amps and the DSP. However, on my refreshed SB16, the bass became very heavy.

So perhaps my headphones tendency to emphasise bottom end, and not top end is what causes them to be a neutral pairing with the Magni.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2,083 of 2,593
Cool! I should've bought this before if I knew this earlier.

I can second that emotion. I wrote a column at "Affordable Audiophile" about my desire to design a power source for all the wall-worts to eliminate the cluster-frank of extension strips and power cords.
DSC03859_v1.JPG
I sure wish Schiit would promote the Floor Wort more prominently in their page, as like you, and I would have bought that initially when building our stack.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,084 of 2,593
I am new here so if I have written this to wrong forum, my apologies...

I moved my High Fidelity Cables Magnetic Adapters to the PYST interconnects between the Modi Multibit and the Magni 3, and the results were a remarkable improvement in sound quality, elimination of any harshness, or mid-range bloat.
I would suggest that this could be the one essential upgrade to my Headphone experience with the Schiit Stack.

I use a Wyrd decrapifier to clean-up the USB feed from a RasPi end-point. USB from the RasPi is like the Public Bathroom of Noise, as all functions of the Single Board Computer run through a single USB Bus. The Wyrd handles it.

Of course, the Magnetic Conduction technology focus the signal path and eliminates the signal loss to diffusion, even on the 6-inch run of interconnects. It was burned-in for 400-hours, so the Magnetic Conduction could spread its effect throughout the circuits of both the Mimby and Magni 3.

HFC Magnetic Adapters are available at http://www.highfidelitycables.com/products/adapters/rca/

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2,085 of 2,593
I've heard the magni 3 is:

-on the warm side
-neutral
-bright

So yeah, I guess i will need to try it for myself. What i've definitely heard from everyone is that they are the best money-reward amp.

I would like to buy them but im in France, should I use this site?

https://schiit.eu.com/

And how long should I expect the package to take to arrive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back