Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 3, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #2,056 of 2,593
I'm curious, now if I may find a difference in sound based on which digital my Modi is dealing with. I'm using coax from the Delta 410, but most people who use this stack seem to be using USB. I'm curious if the different conversions may add their own colorations. My experience with my combo seems very balanced. Which says a lot in my opinion because people tend to say my headphones are bass-heavy. I don't find this to be true, but we all hear differently.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,057 of 2,593
Hey gang, I'm interested in Magni, just curious what else, if anything, I should consider in the $100 price range. I listen strictly on my PC at work where I have powered studio monitors hooked up to an Asus Xonar DX. I like the fact that this amp has RCA outs on the back so I can have my monitors on all of the time and then when I want to listen to the headphones, I just plug in and the monitors turn off.

I tried a Bravo Ocean tube amp and it was fine for a while but I tended to forget to turn it off sometimes at night and I blew the tube out after 6 months. Looking for something that could possible handle being left on moreso than something tube based.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #2,058 of 2,593
I don't have one yet, been considering it for a while now, will be interested in your impressions.

I got the loki yesterday and hooked the mimby and magni 3 up. I’ve got the loki on he bottom and mimby in the middle. I have to say that I do like the loki. For my needs it works great. I’m not sure how the adjustment is graduated but I can only notice a huge change in treble for instance when I get the knob down to around 9:30 or 10:00.

I’ve found that putting the knob on the 8k treble to around 11:15 ir so takes the edge off of the magni 3 enough for me to listen for long periods with my Audeze lcd2c. Before I could only handle the hdxx, but now I prefer ther lcd2c with the adjustment. I moved the hdxx to my topping d50 and jds labs el amp setup and its awesome there as well. The el amp and d50 together sounds great on all my headphones especially with the slow linear digital filter on the d50.

I don’t notice any additional noise or sound color from adding the loki to the chain. Whether its on with all knobs at 12:00 or when in bypass mode. Seem like a pretty sweet product so far. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a simple way to tame or add certain ranges of frequencies without having to get to complicated. Its definitely making me enjoy the magni 3 more now and I finally feel like I can listen to multiple headphones on this setup. Its funny though, I ended up spending the same total money on this schiit stack as I did on the d50 and element combo. The thing that now works in the schiit stack’s favor is its versatility, even though the el amp and d50 combo is a bit cleaner and better in its untouched form to handle multiple headphones.

I’m not sure which one I like better now. I think its going to come down to reliability, control and convince to determine which one I like more.
I hope this is helpful to anyone interested in a magni 3 or Loki.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #2,059 of 2,593
Hey gang, I'm interested in Magni, just curious what else, if anything, I should consider in the $100 price range. I listen strictly on my PC at work where I have powered studio monitors hooked up to an Asus Xonar DX. I like the fact that this amp has RCA outs on the back so I can have my monitors on all of the time and then when I want to listen to the headphones, I just plug in and the monitors turn off.

I tried a Bravo Ocean tube amp and it was fine for a while but I tended to forget to turn it off sometimes at night and I blew the tube out after 6 months. Looking for something that could possible handle being left on moreso than something tube based.

The magni 3 seems like it might be a good fit for you then. I dont know of any other amp and preamp combos like it in its price range and I use it for both as well. I use it with a klipsch portable boom box for very low sleepy time music when not using headphones. Works great for that. I’d recommend the hdxx for the magni 3 if you like a warm sound signature or at least some headphones with a similar color. Or do like me and get a loki for it if you eventually decide to up your budget.

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #2,060 of 2,593

Haven't heard it yet, but the Monoprice Liquid Spark might be a contender.

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #2,061 of 2,593
I got the loki yesterday and hooked the mimby and magni 3 up. I’ve got the loki on he bottom and mimby in the middle. I have to say that I do like the loki. For my needs it works great. I’m not sure how the adjustment is graduated but I can only notice a huge change in treble for instance when I get the knob down to around 9:30 or 10:00.

I’ve found that putting the knob on the 8k treble to around 11:15 ir so takes the edge off of the magni 3 enough for me to listen for long periods with my Audeze lcd2c. Before I could only handle the hdxx, but now I prefer ther lcd2c with the adjustment. I moved the hdxx to my topping d50 and jds labs el amp setup and its awesome there as well. The el amp and d50 together sounds great on all my headphones especially with the slow linear digital filter on the d50.

I don’t notice any additional noise or sound color from adding the loki to the chain. Whether its on with all knobs at 12:00 or when in bypass mode. Seem like a pretty sweet product so far. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a simple way to tame or add certain ranges of frequencies without having to get to complicated. Its definitely making me enjoy the magni 3 more now and I finally feel like I can listen to multiple headphones on this setup. Its funny though, I ended up spending the same total money on this schiit stack as I did on the d50 and element combo. The thing that now works in the schiit stack’s favor is its versatility, even though the el amp and d50 combo is a bit cleaner and better in its untouched form to handle multiple headphones.

I’m not sure which one I like better now. I think its going to come down to reliability, control and convince to determine which one I like more.
I hope this is helpful to anyone interested in a magni 3 or Loki.

Good review, thanks. I'll get one sooner or later! My speaker based rig is 2 channel, will be curious to hear it there too.

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #2,062 of 2,593
Haven't heard it yet, but the Monoprice Liquid Spark might be a contender.

Thanks for the reminder about the Cavalli gear at Monoprice! Ordered one today...

I 'needed' to get another high-value amp for my nightstand since I moved the Magni 3 to a different location. Never had any Cavalli designed gear; for $99...why not give it a try? :L3000:

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #2,063 of 2,593
Thanks for the reminder about the Cavalli gear at Monoprice! Ordered one today...

I 'needed' to get another high-value amp for my nightstand since I moved the Magni 3 to a different location. Never had any Cavalli designed gear; for $99...why not give it a try? :L3000:
Also pulled the trigger for one but international shipping was a bit steep. If all indications are true, the spark is going to be the amp to beat at the $100 mark. The measurements are looking spot-on. Now it just needs to pass the ear test and we may have a winner.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,064 of 2,593
This is cool...Shiit got their butt in gear and developed a $100 DAC that is the best performing DAC they've ever offered:

"Modi 3 is the first product developed using new investments in Audio Precision and Avermetrics test equipment, which has helped it to be the best-performing DAC Schiit has ever offered, when using conventional metrics. A full APx555 report is provided in the product specs."

Product announcement page:
http://www.schiit.com/about/news/99-modi-3-redefines-the-2-figure-dac

Would be a good match for the Magni 3 if I didn't already have the D50. Maybe I'll get it anyway to have a stack including the Loki, move the D50 to the speaker based rig...

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,065 of 2,593
This is cool...Shiit got their butt in gear and developed a $100 DAC that is the best performing DAC they've ever offered:

"Modi 3 is the first product developed using new investments in Audio Precision and Avermetrics test equipment, which has helped it to be the best-performing DAC Schiit has ever offered, when using conventional metrics. A full APx555 report is provided in the product specs."

Product announcement page:

Would be a good match for the Magni 3 if I didn't already have the D50. Maybe I'll get it anyway to have a stack including the Loki, move the D50 to the speaker based rig...
I don't think anyone is saying it is the best performing DAC they offer.
It is a nice DAC for $100.
They have a whole range of DACs that are more expensive and better.
http://www.schiit.com/guides/choosing-a-dac

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #2,066 of 2,593
I don't think anyone is saying it is the best performing DAC they offer.
It is a nice DAC for $100.
They have a whole range of DACs that are more expensive and better.
http://www.schiit.com/guides/choosing-a-dac

Jason said it in the quote from the product announcement page (link above), with a caveat you can choose to signify or ignore, your choice:)

again:
the best-performing DAC Schiit has ever offered, when using conventional metrics.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,067 of 2,593
Here is the full press release.
Bolded words.
I don't think this means "best performing DAC they've ever offered".
It means measures well. Which is cool. Just don't want to suggest that a $100 DAC beats all of their other DACs.

$99 MODI 3 REDEFINES THE 2-FIGURE DAC
USB, Optical, and Coax Inputs; USB or External Power

September 21, 2018, Valencia, CA. Today, Schiit Audio announced the introduction the Modi 3, the third generation of its popular, high-value DAC. Modi 3 is a significant enhancement over previous Modi 2, offering 3 digital inputs (rather than just USB), a premium AK4490 D/A converter with active filtering and DC-coupled output, and the capability to be powerd by USB or with an external power supply. A 5V wall power supply and USB Micro cable are provided. Retail price remains at $99.

“This is how you define progress,” said Mike Moffat, Schiit’s Co-Founder, and chief digital designer. “The original Modi in 2012 was a USB-only DAC that worked only up to 24/96, and provided only 1.5V RMS output due to its simple USB power supply. Now, Modi 3 gives you three switchable digital inputs, a better D/A converter, 24/192 capability, a dual rail power supply and full 2.0V RMS output—and we included a wall-wart and a USB cable, for the same price as the original Modi.”

Despite its low cost, Modi 3 is quite a sophisticated design, using custom firmware and a Microchip microprocessor for system control and oversight. In addition, Schiit worked with C-Media to extend its power-sensing-and-reporting code from Fulla 2 to this higher-performance DAC.

“This helps us eliminate ‘draws too much power’ errors,” said Jason Stoddard, Schiit’s Co-Founder. “If you use the included external power supply, Modi 3 reports as a 0mA USB device. This means it works much better with phones and tablets, which usually don’t want a lot of power pulled from their USB ports. Or, you can just plug the single supplied USB Micro cable into virtually any computer, and Modi 3 will get both its power and data from there.”

This versatility allows Modi 3 to be used in the same way as the outgoing Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber. Connect one USB cable to use it as a single-input, USB-only DAC, or use the included power supply and connect up your optical and coaxial digital sources.

In addition, Modi 3 is the first product developed using new investments in Audio Precision and Avermetrics test equipment, which has helped it to be the best-performing DAC Schiit has ever offered, when using conventional metrics. A full APx555 report is provided in the product specs.

Modi 3 replaces both Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber, at $99. It is available for purchase now at schiit.com

About Schiit Audio

Founded in June 2010 by Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat, Schiit has grown into a leader in affordable high-end audio, with a wide range of products spanning DACs, headphone amplifiers, and preamplifiers, from $49 to $2399.

Press Contact
Denise Martin, denise@schiit.com

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #2,068 of 2,593
I don't think this means "best performing DAC they've ever offered".
It means measures well. Which is cool. Just don't want to suggest that a $100 DAC beats all of their other DACs.

It simply (and clearly) means what it says, no more no less, but more than simply "it measures well" (zillions of DACS measure well, therefore a phrase that is nearly meaningless).

You apparently find no significance in the fact (according to the announcement release) that Schiit has produced a DAC for $100 that measures better than any other they have produced to this date?

Of course it opens a can of worms, which I feel sure is exactly what Schiit intended to do.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2,070 of 2,593
The Modi 3 is the old Modi and Modi Uber combined. Still just a 4490 D/S DAC. (Which is to say, it doesn't hold a candle to the Mimby.)

It may be worth noting that when current generation Bifrost models came out (4490 and Multibit) there were many user comparisons that preferred the 4490, although most also said they were both excellent. Horses for courses I guess....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back