Magic: The Gathering
Jun 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #91 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phage is pretty over-hyped, but there are tons of people who try to "break" her, hoping to find a combo that actually works. I've never been a huge fan of Phage, but I've pulled a couple in my time. More or less, she's a fan favorite.

Go green/black and splash red for Anger. Pump lands, hard cast Phage and...

GG.

Just kidding.

She is Phage's best green friend.
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't beat a 1 mana Phage with haste by turn 5 with the right cards.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #92 of 224
Oh my, MTG. I played that game a lot from about Ice Age to Invasion. After that I started playing less and less. One of my favorite decks revolved around Endless Wurm and Rancor. I also liked the Deranged Hermit/ Coat of Arms combo decks. Getting 400 huge squirrel tokens is lots of fun.

Such threads remind me of the fact that I'm getting older...

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #93 of 224
My kids have started having an interest over the last year or so. It has forced me to break out some decks and play again (I kicked their butts, so I pulled back and played easier decks to let them win).

However, the stock decks that you can buy these days are pretty good overall. They are structured to play a certain way and win, rather than just being full of base cards and one or two decent cards (that hardly ever come into play, like the old decks used to be). However the new cards have a lot of special effects going on that I had to learn all over. Nothing as simple as trample or first strike.

Bob

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #96 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm so happy that combat is changing.....frackin mogg fanatic was too good for his own....er...good

It is sad to see him go. At least he got one last "hurrah" in tenth edition.

Mogg Fanatic...you will be missed...

Nylan

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #97 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note, HUGE CHANGES TO THE RULES TO MAGIC!!!

Rules Article at wizards.com/magic

The only earth-shattering change is combat. Beyond that, maybe mana burn.

Let the discussion begin!

Nylan

thanks for linking this. a friend mentioned some rule changes but I hadn't remembered to look up the official rulings.

I haven't played really since mirrodin, but have to say the rule changes feel like they are just dumbing the game down. 'most people don't know about mana burn anyway so we will remove it' 'floating mana is too complicated so we will remove it' stuff like that seems dumb to me.

I really liked getting tricky with floating mana or weird combat damage stuff. Added a complicated or contrived declension to gameplay which really appealed to me.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #98 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm so happy that combat is changing.....frackin mogg fanatic was too good for his own....er...good

Hmm, I never had much trouble getting rid of him when playing with my cleric deck....

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #99 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for linking this. a friend mentioned some rule changes but I hadn't remembered to look up the official rulings.

I haven't played really since mirrodin, but have to say the rule changes feel like they are just dumbing the game down. 'most people don't know about mana burn anyway so we will remove it' 'floating mana is too complicated so we will remove it' stuff like that seems dumb to me.

I really liked getting tricky with floating mana or weird combat damage stuff. Added a complicated or contrived declension to gameplay which really appealed to me.

It was cool to have some rules tricks that we could exploit...but in the eyes of WotC, that's exactly what they were-exploits. Things that we should really not get to do.

Mana burn really does come up very rarely in games (or, at least, very rarely in MY games). Yet, I know there are people out there who use it to exploit their opponent by making them take a huge amount of mana burn. Floating mana all the way through your combat phase in order to spend it on something after damage was placed on the stack was a really odd exploit (or any other mana floating shenanigans).

Heck, damage on the stack is something of a non-intuitive exploit of the rules (a dude should not be able to swing, magically disappear, and the attack to still hit...it just...don't...make...SENSE!).

I agree with you; these are a dumbing down of the rules. However, I think that these clarifications are going to be for the best. They make more sense to how the cards SHOULD interact, not how they CURRENTLY interact. Do I like huge changes to my favorite game? Hell no...but I understand WotC's reasons. If this keeps the game running for another fifteen years, it'll be worth it.

By the way, what makes me more angry than the combat and mana-burn changes are the flavor/zone changes...I really feel like that is trying to pander/connect to a younger crowd. From a rules standpoint, it does make things easier to understand at a glance; however, I still don't like 'em.

Nylan

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #100 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I never had much trouble getting rid of him when playing with my cleric deck....

It's not about getting rid of him. It's about always taking that one damage no matter what you do to try to prevent it (beyond actual protection and damage prevention).

He's was a tricky little bugger!

Nylan

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #102 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some of the rewording of cards is quiet useful since I remember some cards always led to arguments braking out about when the ability/effect resolves.

I've had such arguments quite frequently as well with my friends. After a while we made sure to look such things up before playing them. Especially combo decks are something you'd want to look up before playing them.

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #105 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new combat renders my Arcbound Ravager deck completely useless.
frown.gif

I can no longer float mana from opponent's "end of turn" to my untap phase.
frown.gif

"New" combat
wink.gif
They changed those rules way before The Mirrodin block was out
wink.gif
I was playing competitively for a while and using stack manipulation is the key to pissing off your opponent. like redirecting a counter spell to counter itself. Lotsa fun there
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: I love your avatar xkRoWx ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back