Magic: The Gathering
Jun 17, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #121 of 224
Woot! Got back from the card store just then after quiet an intense playing session against some national level players. Can't believe how well my Cleric deck managed to hold up against far more expensive (like $400+ decks) opponents if I get the right draw!

Won some card sleeves, a deckbox and a Lowryn Tournament pack!

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #122 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot! Got back from the card store just then after quiet an intense playing session against some national level players. Can't believe how well my Cleric deck managed to hold up against far more expensive (like $400+ decks) opponents if I get the right draw!

Won some card sleeves, a deckbox and a Lowryn Tournament pack!

Congrats on that!

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #123 of 224
I have a 2nd deck in the works:

Creatures 14
4 x Gilder Bairn
4 x Coretapper
4 x Steel Wall
4 x Vedalken Engineer

Spells 22
2 x Shrapnel Blast
2 x Chimeric Egg
2 x Curse of Chains
4 x Energy Chamber
4 x Dismantle
4 x Darksteel Reactor
4 x Paradox Haze

Lands 22
4 x Seat of the Synod
4 x Great Furnace
4 x Mirrodin's Core
8 x Island
2 x Mountain

I basically copied a card list I ran across in the Magic forums about building a deck around darksteel reactor, and it sounded quiet fun so I thought I'd start out with that card list and do some small tweaks. I'll probably spend just a tad more money on it, but not much. Can't justify having an expensive 2nd deck since I don't play often enough.

Watching and playing against those national level guys was quiet fun though, and I learned a lot about strategies against the new cards. Heck, one of the guys took my deck to play with and I learned some new tricks.

Also, any suggestions for restructuring the cleric deck? I seemed to be quiet vulnerable against burn decks, and the mana curve was a bit off. From all the games I played, it seems the deck struggles mid-game. Start game is awesome if I get the right draw since Mother of Runes and Soul Warden annoy my opponents, but then I don't really have many 2-cost cards to dump in. I'm not keen on blowing too much money on this deck anymore to be honest, so I think I'll just make the best of what I have.

Here is the cleric deck in first reconfig mode:

LAND
10 x Plains
8 x Swamps
4 x Terramorphic Expanse

CREATURES
1 x Liliana Vess
4 x Edgewalker
2 x Dark supplicant
2 x Scion of Darkness
2 x Rotlung reanimator
2 x Soul Warden
3 x Doubtless one
3 x Orzhov Pontiff
4 x Mother of Runes

ARTIFACT
3 x Slate of Ancestry

SPELLS
2 x Zealous Persecution
4 x Unmake
3 x Profane prayers
2 x Phyrexian Arena
2 x Glorious Anthem

61 cards total.

How does this configuration look? Edgewalker at the moment is pretty much the main pillar, and I'm hoping to play slate of ancestry with edgewalker so I can dump anything from my current hand into play, then redraw and dump even more clerics onto the battlefield. Mother of Runes pretty much provides me with all the defence I need whilst soul warden hangs around annoying my opponents. I inserted Liliana hoping she could help me draw out the right cards at the right time.

I also picked up an extra Scion of Darkness to piff in. I found that having only one Scion wasn't exactly safe since it really sucked casting it with dark supplicant in turn 3 only to have someone enchant it with something like Crystalize.

I have these cards on the side as well. If I need to, how should I reconfigure the deck to include them?

2 x Soltari Visionary
3 x Duress
1 x Dark Supplicant
2 x Cabal Archon
2 x Soul Warden
2 x Battlefield Medic
1 x Predator, Flagship
4 x Starlit Sanctum
4 x True Believer
2 x Battletide Alchemist

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #124 of 224
Wait! People still play this game?!?! Wow!!
Now where did I put those cards? <rummages around in storage boxes>
Guess it's either time to play agian or sell my cards.
atsmile.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #126 of 224
I started playing around the 8th Core set and stopped playing around the Kamigawa set due to all of the nearby comic shops stopped running the Magic tournaments.

But I still have all my cards and love the game I just wish someone around here would get some Magic going again.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #128 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10th set is coming out July 11th. Can't wait!

Having said that, playing my old deck against the current cards, I'm not sure I like where Magic is heading tbh.

Base sets will no longer have editions, but will be named by year. The set in July is Magic 2010, and will last till July next year when "Magic 2011" comes out. The last and final traditional edition of magic came out a while ago "Tenth Edition", which is black-bordered to commemorate the fact that Magic has been around for ten editions.

I apologize if this makes me sound like a jerk. The change was pretty dramatic to the product line.

Nylan

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #131 of 224
I wish I'd held onto my old rainbow weenie deck. That damn thing would be worth $10k now.

16 beta multilands and bet aberzerk, unlimited mox ruby, emerald, and black lotus.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #132 of 224
What!

Yeah, I think my aim is just to have 3-4 decks which I know are decent, then call it quits. I don't want to blow too much money on decks these days.

Fun to play once in a while, but I'm not a massive fan anymore. Might hit up the pre-release for MG10 though just to see what the new cards will be like.

The rule changes are a bit What as well.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #133 of 224
I dug out my decks today to play with a friend.

My best deck is probably either my red dragon/burn or green/black/white resurrection.

I can post card lists if anybody cares
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back