MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Nov 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,156 of 1,382
Thanks Whirlwind and Parbaked. You are right. I remember Mr. Peppard telling me that only the driver tubes makes a difference.

I do not know much about tubes, and will have to do some research.

But as far as I know, there are very many 5751 tubes out there, which makes it very difficult to know which one to get and where to buy. Specific suggestions to improve on the stock driver tube?

And do you know a reliable seller to get two new 12B4A tubes?

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,157 of 1,382
Thanks Whirlwind and Parbaked. You are right. I remember Mr. Peppard telling me that only the driver tubes makes a difference.

I do not know much about tubes, and will have to do some research.

But as far as I know, there are very many 5751 tubes out there, which makes it very difficult to know which one to get and where to buy. Specific suggestions to improve on the stock driver tube?

And do you know a reliable seller to get two new 12B4A tubes?

For the 12B4 I just got a ge tube from e-bay....was $5 I believe

I like the Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plate for my RS1i....it was fairly expensive though.....you could try any 5751 to see what you think and the prices will vary.

For my HD800 I am liking the less expensive 12ax7 gold pin gold lion tube....but that is more so for higher impedence cans, like parbaked has mentioned.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,158 of 1,382
Anyone tried connecting the MAD Ear+ to a preamp before? Any issues? I am planning to connect my MAD Ear+ to my speaker integrated amp so that I don't need to reconnect it to my DAC everytime I listen to my headphone. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,159 of 1,382
  Anyone tried connecting the MAD Ear+ to a preamp before? Any issues? I am planning to connect my MAD Ear+ to my speaker integrated amp so that I don't need to reconnect it to my DAC everytime I listen to my headphone. 

If your amplifier has tape monitor out jacks, these will bypass the pre-amp section.
Use the tape out jacks to connect your MAD.
Then you can use your MAD and DAC even if your amp is off.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,161 of 1,382
I am looking for a new 5751 GE 5 start tube. But I need some help to choose... I am lost.... too many obscure terms.

Here are three current offers on eBay:

1) 5751 GE 5 Star Solid "O" Getter NOS NIB TV-7 A/U Tested
-$35
-Tester minimum value: 32/32
-Tube tests: 49/46

2)GE 5 Star USA 5751 Black Plate Fat D GET 3 Mica S-Rods Vacuum Tube 74/84%
- $49.95
- Mutual Transconductance (Gm) Test Data: 37/42 where the minimum good value is 32/32 and the New Old Stock (NOS) value is 50/50 or 74/84% of what a new tube should test

3) GE 5 Star 5751 (12AX7) Black Plate SQUARE GETTER Vacuum Tube TESTED #10.Q57
- $42.95
- Tests: 96/94%

Any thoughts on which is best?

cheers

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #1,162 of 1,382
I have not heard any of the tubes that you have linked.

If you are listening to Grado's....then I would prefer the 5751 to the 12AX7

If you are listening to like a 300 ohm can....try the 12AX7

All of the tubes you link will work...so no worries there.

I am sure that you will find something that sounds great and that you like.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,164 of 1,382
Hi guys,

I found a Maple Tree Mad EAR + Purist HD (finally!) in Europe and it has two line ins and a line out. Does that mean I can hook up my active speakers to the Mad EAR as well??

Thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,165 of 1,382
  Hi guys,

I found a Maple Tree Mad EAR + Purist HD (finally!) in Europe and it has two line ins and a line out. Does that mean I can hook up my active speakers to the Mad EAR as well??

Thanks in advance!

Yes you can hook up your powered speakers but, as this was a custom option on your older model, you won't know all the functionality until you try it.
For example:
1. Does line out signal pass through the volume control (passive preamp option) so you can use the MAD as a pre-amp.
2. Or is it a full line out signal, in which case you need to use the volume control on your speakers.
3. You also need to determine if the speakers shut off when you plug in your cans as I doubt you have a switch.

I had a MAD HD Super II with the passive preamp option.
The volume control worked and the speakers cut out when I plug in my cans.

Enjoy!

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,166 of 1,382
  Yes you can hook up your powered speakers but, as this was a custom option on your older model, you won't know all the functionality until you try it.
For example:
1. Does line out signal pass through the volume control (passive preamp option) so you can use the MAD as a pre-amp.
2. Or is it a full line out signal, in which case you need to use the volume control on your speakers.
3. You also need to determine if the speakers shut off when you plug in your cans as I doubt you have a switch.

I had a MAD HD Super II with the passive preamp option.
The volume control worked and the speakers cut out when I plug in my cans.

Enjoy!

I don't know that either. I think I'm just going to take the gamble and hope I will receive a Mad Ear with option 1. Option 2 and 3 would not be ideal to say the least :wink:

And by the way passive preamp means you won't use the tubes/innerworks right? It's just so you can hook everything up to the amp (like dac and phono preamp for turntable) and listen to those with speakers via the amp? 

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,167 of 1,382
  I don't know that either. I think I'm just going to take the gamble and hope I will receive a Mad Ear with option 1. Option 2 and 3 would not be ideal to say the least :wink:

Ask the seller!
It should be option 1...unless the original buyer asked Dr. P for something else...

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,168 of 1,382
  Ask the seller!
It should be option 1...unless the original buyer asked Dr. P for something else...

He doesn't know either (never tried it with active speakers). 
tongue.gif
 I will take the gamble I'm sure it will be fine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back