1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by lmilhan, May 22, 2007.
First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last
  1. MacedonianHero Contributor
    It's quite good with the T1s and HD800, but not a good match for the LCD-3s.

2. N15M0

Quite good meaning that they're only average?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. whirlwind
    I am using the Mad Ear+HD with my HD800 right now.....it is a very nice combo.....please do not be afraid of it...the mad ear is one of the best pieces of audio equipment that I have ever owned .

Throw in a 12AX7 high gain tube and enjoy.

4. joseph69

Quite good isn't average. [​IMG]

5. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Quite good = quite good = better than average = not the be all and end all.

6. DeadEars
    I agree with Macedonian Hero.  I guess it depends on your expectations too.  I occasionally listen to my MAD HD+ Super-II amp via LCD-2.1's.  At low volume levels it is quite nice. As in really nice.  And that is how I use it when I'm working on the computer.   But if you crank it at all,  the bass is uncontrolled and flabby and the reticent high end on the LCD-2's is reinforced by the laid-back nature of the treble on the MAD amp.  Not really a recommended pairing..

My amp is modded now, with higher current output, better bandwidth output transformers, and the electrolytic caps replaced by Obbligato oil capacitors.  Yet it still remains only OK with the LCD-2's.  I think it is fantastic for vocals, girl-with-piano, or chamber music which are my preferred sources during the day.  After work the MAD amp becomes pretty weak sauce for Rock or EDM.  But by then I've switched to speakers for the evening.

Grado's remain the synergistic "Wow" cans for these amps, IMHO.  The intolerably bright and forward nature of Grados is incredibly synergistic with the rich midrange and great guitar textures the MAD amp contributes.  You have to hear it to believe it.  I wouldn't own Grados with any other amp.

Just my $.02

Textfeud likes this.
  7. Textfeud
    I was so happy about purchasing a second hand Mad Ear Purist + HD. Just received it, plugged it in and poof... FIRE. I bought a broken Mad Ear. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

8. jaywillin
    i'd contact the seller, maybe he'd do something
    or see about contacting , shipping to dr peppard (canada) and see if repairs could be made

9. Textfeud
    Yeah seller says it worked fine with him (sure..) and don't have the money to send it in for repair.

10. jaywillin
    how well was it packed ? maybe it got damaged in shipping ? was it insured ?
    wow, bummer for sure

11. Textfeud
    Yeah, wasn't packaged great and it wasn't insured. Seller won't do anything so no help there.

12. parbaked
    Dr. P is a good man but he doesn't care to support 2nd hand purchases.
    Your best bet is to get the schematics from him for your specific unit (send him the serial number) and have it repaired by a local tech.
    The amp is straight forward and a competent tech will be able to sort it out...good luck.

13. Textfeud
    Thanks, will do that :)

14. jaywillin
    the schematics are on the website and you can download them

15. parbaked

There are small differences depending how old the amp is, but yes a competent tech can work off whatever schematic is on his website.
    I like the idea of reaching out to Dr. P for one's specific unit as he may provide some additional insight.

First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last