MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
May 22, 2007 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,382

lmilhan

Headphoneus Supremus
Spread the love.

Let's hear your story about how much you love your MAD Ear+ Purist HD.

My story:

I had some very specific ideas in mind for my MAD Ear+ Purist HD. The main reason for the purchase was to make my RS-1 and PS-1s sound glorious (a legendary Head-Fi synergy - do a search and find out for yourself).

But I figured it wouldn't hurt to add both a Low Z and a High Z headphone jack. Also, I wanted to use the MAD Ear+ as an active Pre-Amp (as opposed to the default passive pre-amp out) to feed my Big Joe power amp, which in turn feeds my beloved AKG K-1000s. And finally, I decided that I wanted to upgrade to Black Gate caps. So after several Emails back and forth to Dr. Lloyd, I decided upon my custom MAD Ear+ Purist HD amplifier configuration. Lloyd was very understanding and patient throughout the entire process, and was more than happy to answer the (many) questions I had for him.

So I finally placed my order, and patiently watched the order queue on the MAD website.

Several weeks later, I received my MAD Ear+ Purist HD, and let me tell you, it was everything I was hoping for and more! Well worth the wait.

My Grados have never sounded better (I prefer the Ear+ over even the SLAM PPX3 with my Grados) and as a bonus, the MAD Ear+ purist feeding my Big Joe and K-1000s sounds better than I ever imagined it would!

Lloyd is a class act, and the MAD Ear+ Purist HD kicks MAJOR ass. If you have been on the fence about buying one of these amazing amplifiers, do not hestitate - they are beautiful in both form and function, and Lloyd is a great person to work with. I couldn't be happier. At the price he charged me for my Ear+, I almost feel like I stole it!

May 23, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 1,382
x2

You've just given my story. I could use your post word for word. Coming up to a year and a half and still pleased.

Thinking about going SS and balanced but in addition to not in place of my Ear+ Purist Custom with Blackgates.

May 23, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 1,382
Here, the journey began with the HeadFive and then the Heed , which while I was awaiting its delivery like an expectant parent (and nearly as long), a gift from the heavens appeared. In the F/S subforum, a MAD custom ,BlackGates, 2 selectable imputs, S.Steel power toggle, Blue LED done in a Sheffield Yellow...(O.K. I made that up, its a shade of chicken**** yellow, lol)...$100 in tubes to roll later the 5751s have a dialable sweetness intermixed with detail transparent of the source. This had me sell the CanAmp, just today in fact, even against Waynes catagorical imperative
wink.gif

That's what happens when an amp 2X the price enters the system I suppose. Content I was indeed....

Then, just today in fact, my world was rocked with this gosh dang Opera audition delivery ;0

Hmmm, now I'm wondering if a certain $150 tube in V1 would be the fix, or is it time to move on yet again ... This is the progression of what happens here I suppose, having heard something delectably different as to be sensed to be better pehaps, it may be difficult to accept something somewhat so different its sensed to be a downgrade ... But maybe not... This gosh dang Opera has an uphill battle to be waged for my heart, which the MAD still posesses....

MAD love~

/Maybe a bedside rig, hmmmm

May 23, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 1,382
i decided nearly 3 months ago that i will own a purist and RS-1's by the time i graduate.

i already purchased a used mapletree and i love it! even with my 325i's! Talk about transparency! this amp freakin rocks

May 23, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 1,382
I started buying a SR-60 and a PAV2V2. I thought i was in heaven, but after deep research i realised that was time for an upgrade. A high end headphone and a MAD combined with a good CD player.
I can't explain in words how much i love my Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD2. I worked very hard and bought it with my RS-1, K701, NAD C525BEE and a DiMarzio RCA cable. It's simply amazing. Incredibly transparency (IMHO) and it's very well balanced sound amplifier.
TERRIFIC !!!!!!

May 23, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 1,382
I'd bought the EAR+ HD when I had my RS1. It works well with all of my cans until I bought the GS1000 and K1000.

I had to resort to the Slammed Extreme to feed both of the beasts. However, the EAR+ HD still have a special place in my heart. Currently, I don't use it, but it's sitting nicely on my rack. Once in a while, I turn it on just to see the tubes glow...
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 1,382
To say that I love my MAD Ear + purist would be an understatement !
600smile.gif
Ear+Purist.JPG

May 23, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 1,382
Hi

This is my first post here. Does a HD2 count? I have one "in progress" now. This would be my first desktop headphone amp It would used to pair with my RS-1. It is a leap of faith as I have placed the order based on whatever information that I can obtain from the web and head-fi.

I agree that Lloyd is a class act to deal with He has been prompt and patient with all newbie questions that I posted him.

Cant wait for the amp to arrive.

May 23, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 1,382
My Mapletree was very much an impulse purchase.
I had some thoughts of getting a tube amp and was toying with going to a Singlepower when I saw the announcement of the HD100 amp to celebrate 100 purist headamps.
I did some intense reading through all the Mapletree threads I could find and pestered Lloyd with questions, crossed my fingers and bit the bullet before they all were taken.
These were a limited run of 5 amps and I believe one went to Lloyds daughter.
Mine is #4 and the same as Mrarroyos, Gold with black wood sides.

Although there's stiff competition with the Yamamoto/AT combos the Mapletree/RS1 pairing gets used several times a week.
I love its retro look and the fact that it doesn't need to sprout monster tubes to draw attention to its self.

But nothing is perfect and the front Mapletree name plate has lost most of its printing and there's always been a very slight transformer hum, not heard through the phones, but there from new. Lloyd did offer to rectify that but I decided it was too far and expensive to return for what I reguard as a trivial matter.

I cant see me ever parting with the HD100 and the combo with the RS1s is sounding even better with the new E Sound signature CD5.

I'm also running a Mapletree Line 2A SE(with PS2 power supply) pre amp.
This is a bit different from standard as Mapletree supplied some of the parts but the rest where sourced by the local builder here.These include Sanyo OSCON,and a pair of NOS Canadian oil caps ex NZ Broadcasting.

Just to complete the MAD love I also have an invaluable Mapletree line router which enables me to run to 2 sources into 4 amps at the turn of a knob, couldn't survive without it.
I guess you could put me down as a MAD fanboy...now just waiting to see what the good Doctor is going to offer when he reaches 200 Purist Headamps and will I be able to resist temptation.

May 23, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 1,382
Love the photo of your HD100 Tuatara.

I missed out on the special edition run and hence my custom
Ear + purist.

It's difficult for me to not peek at the MAD website now and
then to see what the good Dr. is up to !

May 23, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 1,382
i wish i could say the word appreciate...

but so far, my MAD purist HD has an un-balance problem which i don't know why it happens...

discussed with Dr.Llyod many times but still can't figure out what caused the problem.

not the tubes(either 5751 or 12B4A) , not the resistors, not the volume unit. .... no idea already

will get it fixed locally in HK or Thailand soon

hope i can get back to this thread and post my appreciation after i can hear its full potential

wish me luck!
basshead.gif

May 23, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 1,382
I must admit, the MAD is an amp that i'm getting really curious about. The reasons that i havn't pulled the trigger so far are that i'd like to build it myself, but i'm not keen on the styling (so i'd not need the stock enclosure, rather build a custom casing) and that i'm not in the states, so i have no idea how much i'd get slammed for import duties. Also, i'm not sure how i'd get on with tubes tbh, i like the simplicty of solid state.

I think probably woe will be unto me if i ever hear one though
tongue.gif

May 24, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Mapletree was very much an impulse purchase.
I had some thoughts of getting a tube amp and was toying with going to a Singlepower when I saw the announcement of the HD100 amp to celebrate 100 purist headamps.
I did some intense reading through all the Mapletree threads I could find and pestered Lloyd with questions, crossed my fingers and bit the bullet before they all were taken.
These were a limited run of 5 amps and I believe one went to Lloyds daughter.
Mine is #4 and the same as Mrarroyos, Gold with black wood sides.

Although there's stiff competition with the Yamamoto/AT combos the Mapletree/RS1 pairing gets used several times a week.
I love its retro look and the fact that it doesn't need to sprout monster tubes to draw attention to its self.

But nothing is perfect and the front Mapletree name plate has lost most of its printing and there's always been a very slight transformer hum, not heard through the phones, but there from new. Lloyd did offer to rectify that but I decided it was too far and expensive to return for what I reguard as a trivial matter.

I cant see me ever parting with the HD100 and the combo with the RS1s is sounding even better with the new E Sound signature CD5.

I'm also running a Mapletree Line 2A SE(with PS2 power supply) pre amp.
This is a bit different from standard as Mapletree supplied some of the parts but the rest where sourced by the local builder here.These include Sanyo OSCON,and a pair of NOS Canadian oil caps ex NZ Broadcasting.

Just to complete the MAD love I also have an invaluable Mapletree line router which enables me to run to 2 sources into 4 amps at the turn of a knob, couldn't survive without it.
I guess you could put me down as a MAD fanboy...now just waiting to see what the good Doctor is going to offer when he reaches 200 Purist Headamps and will I be able to resist temptation.

1st we be jamming with matching amps and I also have a matching router from Dr. Lloyd. I will say that my HD100 has no hum whatsover.
biggrin.gif
Here are a couple of pics, just click on the thumbnail to view the full size pic.

May 24, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 1,382
A question: what is it about the MAD Ear+ Purist HD's sonic signature that makes it synergizes so well with Grados? And perhaps not so well with Sennheisers and other headphones?

My assumption had been that the MAD is an especially smooth amplifier with some treble roll-off that tames the (to my ears) somewhat harsh highs of Grado phones and makes them sing. Is there any validity to this assumption?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back