"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #5,746 of 6,388
Quote:
The high end Sansui products from the late '70s were excellent. That being said, Sansui had a lot of variation in quality through their extensive product line, so don't just go out and buy the next vintage sansui you find. If you find the right one though, you can have a really great amp.

That pretty much goes for any brand in the 70's 80's. You really need to be picky and know your stuff here, for every gem there were 50 pos's made.

May 5, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #5,747 of 6,388
^^ Probably not. Refurb Sansuii goes for about $900 and the Marantz about the same. 
size]

doesn't seem to be such expensive around here

do you have a reference for vintage sansui for checking ??

May 5, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #5,750 of 6,388
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in to say that the MD's were a hit at the Canlanta Meet today. I probably let a dozen people listen to them on my rig and or theirs (these were people who had not heard them). They were all impressed. Three people said that they sounded very similar to the lcd2 and two said they liked them better than the lcd2. 

What impressed and surprised me was how the MD scaled with better equipment. I thought that they just wouldn't get much better sounding than with the lyr/bf. Well, I was wrong. There was a guy there with vintage Sansuii receiver and a Marantz sacd player. They took the MD to a different level completely...wow. 
size]

I think there's something in here that should be said a little more explicitly. The underlying beauty of these headphones is that they use a planar driver. They definitely scale like it too! I'm always impressed with these guys. 

If anyone would really like I can do a sit down comparison with these and the AKG K702 anniversary edition. They are both fun headphones, but they each have their own perks. 

May 5, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #5,751 of 6,388
Quote:
doesn't seem to be such expensive around here

do you have a reference for vintage sansui for checking ??

http://www.head-fi.org/t/536999/headphone-amp-for-600-ohm-akg-headphones#post_7248609

May 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #5,752 of 6,388
Very interesting but way too big for me !! I'll keep on looking for an amp for my MD :wink:

May 5, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #5,753 of 6,388
Quote:

I think there's something in here that should be said a little more explicitly. The underlying beauty of these headphones is that they use a planar driver. They definitely scale like it too! I'm always impressed with these guys. 

If anyone would really like I can do a sit down comparison with these and the AKG K702 anniversary edition. They are both fun headphones, but they each have their own perks. 

I'd love to see a comparison. What I'd love even more is to hear the Annie's myself. I learned something at the meet yesterday. The "reputation" that some hp's have around here is not necessarily how it comes across to me. 

I've never tried the AGK line because I thought that they would all be too bright for me. I think that it time to forgo the reputation and listen to more gear. 

May 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #5,754 of 6,388
Quote:

Go for it..

popcorn.gif

May 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #5,755 of 6,388
Quote:

I'd love to see a comparison. What I'd love even more is to hear the Annie's myself. I learned something at the meet yesterday. The "reputation" that some hp's have around here is not necessarily how it comes across to me. 

I've never tried the AGK line because I thought that they would all be too bright for me. I think that it time to forgo the reputation and listen to more gear. 

Dang Matt.  I would have sent you a few to try..  All gone now but the Annies..  

Working on my second pair of MDs now.  

May 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #5,758 of 6,388
Quote:

FWIW, I'm sensitive to treble and so my preferences in headphones reflect that in the MD and LCD2. I own the K702 and use them for gaming. I haven't had any issues with brightness both while gaming and in the limited time I've spent actually listening to music with them.

In contrast, the Grado SR325 I spent extensive time with, before settling on a 225, was piercing even on songs that aren't treble focused. I could barely listen to Chris Cornell in some of his work on the Grado (Wooden Jesus from Temple of the Dog caused me to wince in spots on the SR325 due to the volume level + brightness combo) while I could easily rock out with the K702. 

If the annies are anything like the K702 in terms of bright, you'll find that they are a great headphone that isn't overly bright but isn't overly warm and just does everything very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back